Hiva Oa is the second largest island in the Marquesas Islands, in French Polynesia, an overseas territory of France in the Pacific Ocean.
This majestic and historic island is known for its wild, untamed landscape, giant stone tiki, endless and unearthly vistas, and as the final resting place of poet Jacques Brel and artist Paul Gauguin. Hiva Oa has many huge and interesting pre-European archaeological sites offering maraes, tikis and petroglyphs
Air Tahiti flies from Tahiti to Hiva Oa daily, on some days directly, on some days you have connected flights via Nuku Hiva, the "main" island of Marquesas Islands. There are also daily flights to Nuku Hiva
Ask your hosts to collect you from the airport, as there are no taxis or other ways of public transportation on the island
Both 4WD excursions and 4WD rent-a-cars are available, order through pension owners or directly:
- Atuona Rent-a-car, +689 92 76 07, 72 17 17
- Hiva Oa Location, +689 91 70 60, 24 65 05
- Espace Culturel Paul Gaugin (Museum of Paul Gaugin), Atuona. 8-11am & 2-5pm Mon-Thu, 7:30am-2:30pm Fri, 8-11am Sat. Has exhibtion of copies (including scanned and than printed digital copies) of Paul Gaugin's works, a couple of archaeological finds on Gaugin's yard; and a rebuilt copy of Maison du Jouir, painter's own house
- Calvaire Cemetry. Pauil Gaugin and Jacques Brel are buried in the small Calvaire cemetry on a hill overlooking Atuona
- Centre Jacques Brel, behind Espace Culturel Paul Gaugin. 8-11am & 2-3pm Mon-Thu, 7:30am-2:30pm Fri; 8-11am Sat. 500XFP.
- Smiling Tiki, on the road from Atuona to airport look carefully for a hand-made sign on the right; than a 200m walk to a forest. A statue of Smiling Tiki, 1m high, stands alone in a clearing
- Tehueto petroglyphs. Hidden high up in the Tahauku valley, a good walk from Atuona. It's difficult to find, so hire a guide
- Taaoa archaeological site, near Taapa, 7km drive from Atuona.
- Hiking. There are some excellent hiking possibilities on Hiva Oa. Trails are not marked (except for easy to find 4WD roads), so a guide is really required. Try Alain Tricas (+689 20 40 90) or Henry Bonno (92 74 44), 1,000XFP/hour or 8,000XFP/day
- Horse riding, ☎ +689 92 70 57, 28 68 21. Hamau Ranch - Chez Paco; [email protected]; 7,000-14,000XFP)
- Diving, ☎ 92 70 88, 27 05 24. The only dive centre in the Marquesas is SubAtuona: BP 422 Temetiu Village, 98 741 Atuona - Hiva Oa. Email: [email protected] 7,000XFP-13,000XFP.
- Entreprise Deligny, Atuona, ☎ 92 71 59, 72 80 70.
- Moena o te manu Excursions, Atuona, ☎ 92 74 44, 24 64 58.
Atuona and villages on the island have grocery stores
Restaurants in pensions offer mix of polynesian and french cuisine. Some people think that the best venue on the island is the restaurant in Hanakee Hiva Oa Pearl Lodge, there are also some places in Atuona:
- Noa Nui, Atuona, ☎ 92 73 63.
- Relais Moehau, Atuona, ☎ 92 72 69, 70 16 34. Stop here for a pizza (try fish pizza). There are also fish and meat dishes
- Snack Makemake, Atuona, ☎ 92 74 26, 23 70 10. This place offers an eclectic menu from Chinese, fish to goat and mussels
- Temetiu Village, BP 52 HivaOa Iles Marquises 98741 Atuona Polynésie française, ☎ +689 917060, . A clean 2* family run pension in only 10 min walk from Atuona, 6 bungalows with excellent view over Tahauku bay, friendly owners and staff, small pool, and high-quality meals. Wi-Fi. Reservations [email protected] 7,080-10,000XFP.
- Hiva Oa Hanakee Pearl Lodge, ☎ +689 927587, . The island's most luxurious resort on top of a hill overlooking Tahauku Bay only 10 min drive from Atuona, but pricey. It has 14 bungalows, a restaurant with french cuisine, swimming pool, everything with spectacular view. Wi-Fi. Reservations [email protected]
There is a list of additional pensions on www.haere-mai.pf