Hilton Head Island  is in South Carolina, with an approximate population of 33,000. It is fairly close to Savannah, Georgia. It is located on a beautiful, semi-tropical 12 mile barrier island. It is a vacation playland with famous beaches and great golf courses that overlook the Atlantic Ocean.
- US 278. This US Highway is the main thoroughfare of Hilton Head and can be reached by Interstate 95, a primary interstate highway on the Eastern Seaboard.
- Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (IATA: SAV), . It is located near Savannah, Georgia, about an hour away from the island. You may also fly into Charleston, SC, about a 2 hour drive (100 miles).
- Hilton Head Island Airport (IATA: HHH), . Serviced by USAirways Express and Delta Connection, connecting through Charlotte, North Carolina, and Atlanta, Georgia.
- A car is a near necessity in Hilton Head. Walking and biking paths are very limited, and most businesses are along 278 (known as William Hilton Parkway on the island).
- Harbour Town. Visit to see how the other half lives. Admire the multi-million dollar yachts in many different marinas and sailing in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Jenkins Island. Right between the bridges from Bluffton to Hilton Head Island.
- Shelter Cove. The Island's largest deepwater marina. During the summer enjoy live music and weekly fireworks.
- Hilton Head Rentals & Golf, 578 William Hilton Pkwy, ☎ 866-652-4669, . Offers a large selection and affordable golf packages for an exciting vacation. We have 10 packages specifically designed for all skill levels.
- Beaches - Nearly 9 miles of Atlantic Ocean surf and beautiful beaches, all publicly accessible. There are several public parks that provide beach access. From there, you can walk or bike the length of the island. Recommended spots are South Beach, Disney Resort Beach Club area.
- Golf Courses - There are almost too many to count. Among the best:** Harbour Town Golf Links - While it has one of the most expensive greens fees in the Hilton Head area, here you can play the same course as the pros, as Harbour Town hosts the Heritage (currently the Verizon Heritage) golf tournament every April. Among the best public golf courses is Hilton Head National in Bluffton one mile from the bridge to Hilton Head. Greens fees and rates are very affordable for all.
- Bottle-nosed dolphins - Take a boat tour. Seeing dolphins is virtually guaranteed; getting a good picture of one is another matter.
Don't rely on those coupon books you find everywhere – ask some service employees for their recommendations. Well-known or busy does not necessarily mean good food.
To get started:
- Kenny B's, Circle Center (Bi-Lo), Pope Avenue. New Orleans-style cuisine. Great for lunch.
- Amigo's, Circle Center (Bi-Lo), Pope Avenue. Great burritos and BBQ Grilled Chicken salad.
- Kurama, Island Crossing (Publix, Walgreen's), Palmetto Bay Road. Great Japanese Steakhouse. Pricey.
- Santa Fe Cafe, Plantation Center (near entrance to Palmetto Dunes), William Hilton Parkway. Mexican/American. Nice lunch combos. Try the Painted Desert Soup. If you're feeling flush (and haven't eaten for two days), the Cowboy cut rib of Aberdeen Angus beef takes some beating.
- British Open Pub, Village at Wexford, near intersection of William Hilton Parkway and Arrow Road. Excellent overall menu.
- The Sea Shack, Executive Park Road, off Pope Avenue. Tasty seafood, cheap prices.
- Sunrise Cafe, Palmetto Bay Marina, south end of the Cross Island. Great breakfasts.
- Woody's, Palmetto Bay Marina, south end of the Cross Island. Tasty and generally fairly priced with a nice atmosphere.
- Kingfisher Seafood & Steak House, 11 Heritage Rd, +1 843 671-3412.
- The Quarterdeck, +1 843 671-2222. Nice view, ok food.
- Tapas Restaurant, 11 Northridge Plaza, +1 843 681-8590. Cozy locals place. Incredible food.
- Alexanders, take the entrance to Palmetto Dunes and it's further down on the right. Popular seafood restaurant, but also does a great fillet mignon.
- Stacks, past the entrance to Palmetto Dunes on William Hilton Parkway in the direction of Sea Pines. Excellent for breakfast, diner-style, fast, friendly service. Be prepared to queue if you're not an early riser.
Being such a popular vacation destination, Hilton Head has many lodging choices. There are several hotels on the island, however a great and widespread accommodation alternative is the vacation rental. Vacation rentals are available in many types, from large condo buildings to quaint homes, new and old.
- Resort Rentals of Hilton Head Island, 1032 William Hilton Pkwy, 1-800-845-7017. High quality vacation rentals locates thoughout the island - offering from 1 to 8 bedrooms, luxury to economy, oceanfront and ocean walk accommodations.
- Holiday Inn Oceanfront, 1 South Forest Beach Drive, . The heart of the tourist center. Features the Tiki Hut, Hilton Head's only bar right on the beach and a long-time tourist and local favorite. The Lodigan Company plans to demolish the Holiday Inn & the Tiki Hut and build condos in the next year or so.
- Hilton Head Rentals and Golf, 578 William Hilton Pkwy, 1-800-HiltonHead [email protected]  Ocean front or beach view condo and home rentals for parties of 2 or 20+. Pet friendly homes are available for those traveling with their best friends.
- Hilton Oceanfront Resort, 23 Ocean Lane, . Located off the coast of South Carolina on the beaches of Hilton Head Island. The hotel features 296 guest rooms with full mini-kitchens. Two in-resort restaurants plus a pool/beach bar serving hot snacks/lunches.
- Sunset Rentals of Hilton Head, 21 New Orleans Rd, (843) 785-6767. Home and villa rentals includeing many pet-friendly accommodations.
- The Vacation Company, 42 New Orleans Rd, (800) 845-7018. Vacation home rentals. Offers wireless internet access in every property.
- Comfort Inn Hilton Head, 2 Tanglewood Drive, ☎ ''+1 843''842-6662 (fax: +1 843''842-6664). checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Seasonal rates, approximately $70-160/night.
- Crowne Plaza Resort, 130 Shipyard Drive, ☎ ''1 843'' 842-2400, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 12PM. A beachfront hotel located in the gated Shipyard Plantation, on the south end of Hilton Head Island. Also serves buffets at Brellas Café and fresh seafood at Portz restaurant. Season rates, approximately $150-250/night.
- The Sea Pines Resort, 32 Greenwood Drive, ☎ 1-866-561-8802, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Seasonal rates, approximately $200-300/night.