Hilton Head Island
Hilton Head Island  is in South Carolina, just across the border from Savannah, Georgia. With an approximate population of 33,000, it is located on a beautiful, semi-tropical 12 mile barrier island. Hilton Head Island is a vacation playland with famous beaches and great golf courses that overlook the Atlantic Ocean.
US Route 278 is the main thoroughfare serving Hilton Head Island. It is intersected by Interstate 95, a primary interstate highway on the Eastern Seaboard, near the town of Hardeeville about 40 minutes west.
Hilton Head Island is served by two airports.
- Hilton Head Island Airport (IATA: HHH), . Serviced by USAirways Express  and Delta Connection , connecting through Charlotte and Atlanta respectively.
- Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (IATA: SAV),  is about an hour away from the island and is served by seven airlines. The airport is directly served by Interstate 95 and is located about 20 minutes south of Hardeeville.
US Route 278 is known as the William Hilton Parkway on the island. It is the "business route" and is two lanes, north and south, for most of the length of the island, ending at the Sea Pines traffic circle which is the hub of the popular south end of the island. The Cross Island Expressway by-passes this, reducing the drive time from 25 minutes to a 5 minute ride from the bridge to the island to the Sea Pines traffic circle. The Hilton Head Island Airport is accessed from the intersection of William Hilton Parkway and Dillon Road.
There are miles of picturesque off-road bike paths that traverse the main roads of the island and within the resort plantations. Although not lit for night riding, they are the perfect way to traverse the island during the day time hours.
- Harbour Town. Visit to see how the other half lives. Admire the multi-million dollar yachts in many different marinas and sailing in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Jenkins Island. Right between the bridges from Bluffton to Hilton Head Island.
- Shelter Cove. The Island's largest deepwater marina. During the summer enjoy live music and weekly fireworks.
- Biking, . The Hilton Head Island area features over 25 crossing bike paths and many locations offer bike rentals.
- Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, . Regarded as one of the best in “The 50 Greatest U.S Tennis Resorts” by Tennis Magazine, this resort offers 25 courts, instructional programs, and tournaments.
- Beaches - Nearly 9 miles of Atlantic Ocean surf and beautiful beaches, all publicly accessible. There are several public parks that provide beach access. From there, you can walk or bike the length of the island. Recommended spots are South Beach, Disney Resort Beach Club area.
- Golf Courses - There are almost too many to count. Among the best:** Harbour Town Golf Links - While it has one of the most expensive greens fees in the Hilton Head area, here you can play the same course as the pros, as Harbour Town hosts the Heritage (currently the Verizon Heritage) golf tournament every April. Among the best public golf courses is Hilton Head National in Bluffton one mile from the bridge to Hilton Head. Greens fees and rates are very affordable for all.
- George Fazio Golf Course  – Designed by the revered golf designer, George Fazio, this 18 hole course is the only par-70 course on Hilton Head Island.
- Arthur Hills Golf Course  – Ranked 4.5 by Fodor’s Golf Digest, this course takes advantage of the natural beauty of Hilton Head Island’s marshland and ocean surroundings.
- Robert Trent Jones Course  – Recently renovated in 2002 for $3 million, Golfweek readers regard this course as one of the best in the region. This course was named 2003 Golf Course of the Year by South Carolina Board of Directors of the NGCOA.
- Bottle-nosed dolphins - Take a boat tour. Seeing dolphins is virtually guaranteed; getting a good picture of one is another matter.
- Palmetto Dunes Outfitters, . Offers boat, kayak, canoe, surf board, and various other watersport equipment rentals. Palmetto Dunes Outfitters also offers instructional programs for watersports like kayaking and surfing.
Don't rely on those coupon books you find everywhere – ask some service employees for their recommendations. Well-known or busy does not necessarily mean good food.
To get started:
- Kenny B's, Circle Center (Bi-Lo), Pope Avenue. New Orleans-style cuisine. Great for lunch.
- Amigo's, Circle Center (Bi-Lo), Pope Avenue. Great burritos and BBQ Grilled Chicken salad.
- Kurama, Island Crossing (Publix, Walgreen's), Palmetto Bay Road. Great Japanese Steakhouse. Pricey.
- Santa Fe Cafe, Plantation Center (near entrance to Palmetto Dunes), William Hilton Parkway. Mexican/American. Nice lunch combos. Try the Painted Desert Soup. If you're feeling flush (and haven't eaten for two days), the Cowboy cut rib of Aberdeen Angus beef takes some beating.
- British Open Pub, Village at Wexford, near intersection of William Hilton Parkway and Arrow Road. Excellent overall menu.
- The Sea Shack, Executive Park Road, off Pope Avenue. Tasty seafood, cheap prices.
- Sunrise Cafe, Palmetto Bay Marina, south end of the Cross Island. Great breakfasts.
- Woody's, Palmetto Bay Marina, south end of the Cross Island. Tasty and generally fairly priced with a nice atmosphere.
- Kingfisher Seafood & Steak House, 11 Heritage Rd, +1 843 671-3412.
- The Quarterdeck and Topside at the Quarterdeck, +1 843 671-2222. Great views of Harbour Town, fantastic sunsets and outstanding food and service.
- Tapas Restaurant, 11 Northridge Plaza, +1 843 681-8590. Cozy locals place. Incredible food.
- Alexanders, take the entrance to Palmetto Dunes and it's further down on the right. Popular seafood restaurant, but also does a great fillet mignon.
- Stacks, past the entrance to Palmetto Dunes on William Hilton Parkway in the direction of Sea Pines. Excellent for breakfast, diner-style, fast, friendly service. Be prepared to queue if you're not an early riser.
- Jump & Phil's Bar & Grill, 7B Greenwood Dr, ☎ 843 7859070. Local bar and grill used mainly by locals. Seen "Cheers", well thats says it all. GREAT Burgers.
- Jump and Phil's, Hilton Head Plaza. Islands local watering hole.
Being such a popular vacation destination, Hilton Head has many lodging choices. There are several hotels on the island, however a great and widespread accommodation alternative is the vacation rental. Vacation rentals are available in many types, from large condo buildings to quaint homes, new and old.
- Comfort Inn Hilton Head, 2 Tanglewood Drive, ☎ ''+1 843''842-6662 (fax: +1 843''842-6664), . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. This hotel is perfectly located on six acres of wooded land and surrounded by three lagoons.
- Crowne Plaza Resort, 130 Shipyard Drive, ☎ ''1 843'' 842-2400, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 12PM. A beachfront hotel located in the gated Shipyard Plantation, on the south end of Hilton Head Island. Also serves buffets at Brellas Café and fresh seafood at Portz restaurant. High Season rates, approximately $150-250/night.
- Hilton Head Accommodations (HiltonHeadUSA.com), 20 Executive Park Rd (Eastern corner of Pope Ave. and Executive Park Rd), ☎ 888-433-4762 ext. 11102, . Island-wide home and villa vacation rentals - many include free golf, tennis, bikes and wireless internet. Studios to large homes can accommodate singles to small groups. Daily, weekly and monthly rates. seasonal.
- Holiday Inn Oceanfront, 1 South Forest Beach Drive, . The heart of the tourist center. Features the Tiki Hut, Hilton Head's only bar right on the beach and a long-time tourist and local favorite. The Lodigan Company plans to demolish the Holiday Inn & the Tiki Hut and build condos in the next year or so.
- Hilton Head Rentals and Golf, 578 William Hilton Pkwy, 1-800-HiltonHead [email protected]  Ocean front or beach view condo and home rentals for parties of 2 or 20+. Pet friendly homes are available for those traveling with their best friends.
- Hilton Oceanfront Resort, 23 Ocean Lane, . Located off the coast of South Carolina on the beaches of Hilton Head Island. The hotel features 296 guest rooms with full mini-kitchens. Two in-resort restaurants plus a pool/beach bar serving hot snacks/lunches.
- Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, ☎ 800-827-3006, . A family friendly oceanfront resort featuring private home and villa rentals, and offering three public championship golf courses, 25 tennis courts, and various outdoor activities.
- Resort Rentals of Hilton Head Island, 1032 William Hilton Pkwy, 1-800-845-7017. High quality vacation rentals locates thoughout the island - offering from 1 to 8 bedrooms, luxury to economy, oceanfront and ocean walk accommodations.
- Sunset Rentals of Hilton Head, 21 New Orleans Rd, (843) 785-6767. Home and villa rentals includeing many pet-friendly accommodations.
- The Vacation Company, 42 New Orleans Rd, (800) 845-7018. Vacation home rentals. Offers wireless internet access in every property.
- The Sea Pines Resort, 32 Greenwood Drive, ☎ 1-866-561-8802, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Seasonal rates, approximately $200-300/night.
- Hilton Oceanfront Resort, 23 Ocean Lane, ☎ (843) 842-8000, . Located on the beach of the Atlantic Ocean, just off the coast of South Carolina, the Hilton Oceanfront Resort is within the exclusive 2000-acre resort community of Palmetto Dunes. From the architecture, to accommodations, to service, to amenities, the Hilton Oceanfront Resort is the perfect representation of true Southern charm and hospitality.
- Marriot Hilton Head (Surfwatch) (1), 1 (1), ☎ 1, . checkin: 1; checkout: 1. 1. (1,1)
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|