Hillerød is a small city of some 35,000 inhabitants, in northern Zealand, Denmark, notable for its castle.
Hillerød is a small transportation hub for the area north of Copenhagen.
- Copenhagen Hillerød station is the north end of the S-train system Line E that runs between Køge and Hillerød through central Copenhagen. Leaves every 10 minutes during weekdays, and every 20 minutes in the evening and on weekends. Journey time is about 40 minutes between Hillerød and Copenhagen central station.
- Northern Zealand: Less frequent private railroads leaves Hillerød for; Fredensborg, Elsinore, Hundested, Tisvildeleje and Gilleleje, the two latter are both close to some excellent beaches.
Almost all cities north of Hillerød are served by buses from the train station, below are some of the more useful lines for tourists.
- Roskilde Line 600S runs between Hillerød and Hundige via Roskilde, for access to the world heritage site Roskilde Cathedral, and the Viking Ship museum
- Frederikssund Lines 325 and 307 leaves about every hour on weekdays to Frederikssund by Roskilde Fjord.
- Rungsted Lines 382ERuns on the highway between Hillerød and Rungsted station near Øresund, on the kystbanen line, the Louisiana art museum is two stops on Kystbanen from Rungsted.
You can walk to the castle from the city or the station (15 minutes) or use bus 701 or 702.
From the station follow the signs down Vibekevej to the city or the castle.
There is a small ferry that goes between the caste and the main square. DKK 25.
- Frederiksborg Slot (Frederiksborg castle), ☎ +45 4826 0439, ([email protected]), . Mid Mar-Oct: 10-17, Nov-Mar:11-15. Build by Frederik II in 1560. It in walking distance from the city and the station. Inside you can see the church, the halls, displays of old paintings. On the third floor is the modern collection with portraits and painting from 20th century Danish history. Entrance DKK 60.
- For a day of castles, you can combine this with a visit to Fredensborg castle and Kronborg castle in Elsinore, by catching the small private railway that runs between Hillerød and Helsingør which also stops in Fredensborg on the way. If you're visiting from Copenhagen, it is possible to return from Elsinore by the Kystbanen' railway.
- The Baroque Garden, . Do not miss the Baroque gardens started in 1720.
- Æbelholt Kloster museum (Æbelholt Abbey Museum), Æbeltholt 4, ☎ +45 4824 3448. May - Oct: 11 - 16 (Monday closed).. The ruins of the largest medieval Augustinian abbey in the Nordic countries. The small museum on the grounds, has exhibitions about the medical history of the Augustinian order, including a garden with medical herbs, and some 300 skeletons on display! Once every year there is a middle age themed market day held, at the grounds around mid June.
- Town Museum (Bymuseet), Helsingørgade 65, ☎ +45 4826 4379, . May-Oct Tu-S 11AM-4PM. Museum of local history for the last 600 years. 15 Kr, children below 18 free.
Frederiksborg Castle, Knights Hall
- Brøckhouse, Høgevej 6, ☎ +45 4824 2460, . Pay a visit to this microbrewery, which was one of the first, of the now numerous microbreweries in Denmark. Today it is one of the biggest, and its excellent beers can be found in many bars and supermarkets. Tours of the brewery are held the first Friday of every month between 3PM-4:30PM. 100 DKK.
- Adventure Park, Milnersvej 37 (behind 'Frederiksborg hallen'), ☎ +45 6088 7766, . This group has turned a 80,000 sq m area on the outskirts of Hillerød, into a fun adventure park, with a 1 km mountain bike track, numerous paintball scenarios, obstacle courses, tree climing etc. Mainly caters to groups.
- Hillerød Golf Klub, Nysøgårdsvej 9, Ny Hammersholt, ☎ +45 4826 5046 ([email protected], fax: +45 4825 2987), .
- BioCity Hillerød, Ndr. Jernbanevej 8-10, ☎ 7013 1211, . Cinema. Before 6PM 70-80 Kr, from 6PM 80-90 Kr.
- Café Slotsbio, Frederiksværksgade 11C, ☎ +45 4826 0564, . Su-Th 7:30PM, F-Sa 7PM. Historical cinema run by volunteers.
There are many options for souveniers near the castle.
- Sweater House, Slangerupgade 1 (close to the castle), ☎ ''+45'' 48255125 ([email protected], fax: ""''+45''), . An impressive selection of woollen sweaters
- La Perla, Torvet 1, ☎ +45 4824 3533, . 11.30 - 24.00, Sundays closed.. Solid Italian food and quality wines, with the Italian chef singing in the kitchen. A little to the expensive side, but a cozy place. main dishes between 69-189 DKK.
- Spisestedet Leonora, Frederiksborg Slot, Møntportvejen 2 (at the castle), ☎ ''+45'' 48267516 ([email protected]), . 0am to 5pm in summer, 11am to 4pm in winter. Good lunch in a historical setting on the castle ground, next to the lake. from DKK 60.
All the places listed below are on the main pedestrianized street running through the center. Expect mainstream pop music at all the places below, for a city this close to the capital the nightlife scene here is rather provincial, on the other hand it is usually a lively experience.
- Café Hoe, Slotsgade 47 (near the castle), ☎ +45 4826 6010, . Th-Sa 7PM-5AM. This long time favorite with the local high school students, gets rather crammed in the weekends. But usually a good atmosphere albeit rather youngish. Also doubles as the normal cafe during daylight.
- John F Kennedy Pub (Club Annabell), Torvet 4, ([email protected]), . This place is a cafe and eating place until it transforms itself to a pub around 7PM, has a lovely outdoor terrace in the summer, and hosts occasional jazz nights. Weekend nights the place takes a name change to 'Club Annabell' and doubles as nightclub. The minimum age of 21, keeps the usual soldiers and high school students away. Cover charge 50 DKK, Draft beer 35 DKK.
- Picadily, Torvet 5, ☎ +45 4825 2211, . Good sized place on the central square, occasionally breaks the monotony of mainstream pop although if the techno replacement is any better, you'll have to judge.
- Danhostel Hillerød (Hillerød Vandrehjem), Lejrskolevej 4 (Buses 701 & 702 to the 'Folevang' stop), ☎ +45 4826 9786 ([email protected]), . checkin: 10AM-8PM; checkout: 10AM. A large hostel in the forest on the outskirts of Hillerød, has bikes for hire. 160 DKK for dorm (only in summer) Rooms from 325 w/o bath.
- Hillerød Camping, Blytækkervej 18 (Buses 701 or 702 to the 'Frederiksgade' stop follow it, and turn down 'Åmosevej'), ☎ 4826 4854, . Camping grounds located quite close to the city center, also has small spartan cabins 7 sq m or 14 sq m with room for 2 to 4 people. 70 DKK for tent, or 270 for a small cabin.
- Hotel Hillerød, Milnersvej 41 (turn left after you exit the station, continue across the Intersection down Milnersvej), ☎ +45 4824 0874, . The city's only proper Hotel, there is a quite good restaurant in the basement. From 1010 DKK for a single.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!