Church of St. Michael
(Michaeliskirche) - World Cultural Heritage
Hildesheim  is a city in the north German region (Land) of Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen).
The historical center of Hildesheim consisted of over 1900 half-timbered buildings and was often called "Nuremberg of the north" up to the Second World War. During the war, 90% of the center was destroyed; only a few lanes in the southern center remained unchanged. Today the center consists mainly of postwar buildings, 1950 to 1970. However, many historical monuments have been reconstructed. In this process, some of the changes of the last few centuries were removed and the original form of the buildings restored. Two church buildings were declared UNESCO World Heritage sites in 1985.
Hildesheim is connected to the autobahn network from A7.
ICE stop Berlin - Frankfurt.
The city centre can be explored comfortably on foot. All objects of interest and public buildings are out-described. The cycle track net is nearly complete, up to few distances in the center. Also for cyclists there are own, uniform signs in the city and the region of Hildesheim. For further distances buses and taxis are present. A single ticket for the city bus costs 2.15 € for adults and 1.00 € for children. It applies 60 minute long to as many as desired uses. With the city ticket at the price of 6.80 € 2 adults and 2 children can make as many as desired bus travels during whole day. For more informations call Stadtwerke Hildesheim, Tel. 05121 66666.
Marktplatz mit Rolandbrunnen.
The Marktplatz and surrounding buildings which include, among others, Town Hall, Butchers' Guild Hall, Bakers' Guild Hall.
- St. Mary's Cathedral (Mariendom), UNESCO World Cultural Heritage, dates back to the 11th century. See the bronze doors and bronze column, both commissioned by Bishop Bernward around 1015 and the 1000-year-old rosebush in the cloister. The Cathedral has a museum which is now closed due to renovations. The cathedral will be closed for renovations until 2014.
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche), early Romanesque church famous for its Ottonian architecture and the unique "Jessebom", a painted family tree of Jesus-Christ on the wooden ceiling. Also World Cultural Heritage.
- St. Andrew's Church, it has the tallest church tower in Lower Saxony (114.5 metres, can be accessed and offers great views).
Museums and Galleries
- The Roemer und Pelizaeus Museum , Am Steine 1-2, Tel +49-5121-93690, opens daily 10AM-6PM. One of the oldest museums in Germany, with world class collections of natural history, ancient Egyptian and Peruvian antiquities, and local history. The museum is also noted for the quality of its special exhibitions. Entry €10, concessions €8, children 6-14 yrs €4.
- Stadtmuseum Hildesheim, Markt 7, ☎ 0 51 21 / 299 36 85, . 10.00 - 18.00 Mondays closed.. Museum located in a reconstructed Butchers' Guild Hall building next to the Markt. Permanent exhibition concerns city history. 2,50 €.
- KulturFabrik Löseke, Langer Garten 1, ☎ 05121 750 94 52, . Big brick building right next to the railway, former factory. Inside a cafe, club, cinema, exhibition spaces, workshops and who knows what more.
- Jugendherberge Hildesheim, Schirrmannweg 4, Tel. +49-5121-42717, Rates: €18-24. Membership of the International Youth Hostel Association is required.
- Hotel Meyer, Peiner Landstraße 185, Tel. +49-5121-53179, Rates: €24-30.
- House at the Hildesheim Forest 31199 Diekholzen, Tel. 0049 170 8366597 . Idyllic location, 5 Km out, 4 people, 65 Euro.
- Gästehaus Klocke, Humboldtstraße 11, Tel. +49-5121-179213, Rates: €31-54.
- Hotel Bürgermeisterkapelle, Rathausstraße 8, Tel. +49-5121-1792999, Rates: €40-85.
- Dorint Novotel Hildesheim, Bahnhofsallee 38, Tel. +49-5121-17170, Fax +49-5121-1717700, . Rates: €40-315.
- Lindemann Hotel (Hildesheim), Kruppstr. 5 (conveniently between Autobahn an City), ☎ +49 5121 696430. checkin: 11:00 a.m.; checkout: 03.00 p.m.. The hotel is located near the center of the city, easy to find and at the end of a dead end road. The fair grounds of Hannover are only 15 min away by car. Comfortably funished will all modern conveniences. Beds are oversized, free WIFI and LCD satellite tevevision.Ample and free parking facilities. € 48.00 to € 86.00.
- Van der Valk Hotel Hildesheim, Markt 4, Tel. +49-5121-3000, Fax +49-5121-300444. The hotel faces a beautiful area of the old city market. Rates: €54-155.