There is more than one place called Playa Hermosa, see Playa Hermosa (disambiguation)
Playa Hermosa de Jaco is a small surfing village just south of Jaco, in the Central Pacific region of Costa Rica. Known for consistent wave break throughout the year, it is one of Costa Rica's largest and most famous beaches. This black sand beach stretches from end to end, 12 km of beachfront, with 7 km accessible by car and wide open to an expanse of surf breaks. In 2009, Playa Hermosa hosted the ISA Billabong World Games, the largest event in this region to date.
Playa Hermosa is direcly on the Costanera Highway that runs south to Quepos and Manuel Antonio. From Jaco, you can take a taxi for about US$7. Or take a bus that does the route to Quepos or Parrita (make sure they stop in Hermosa or you'll end up far away).
- Surfing - Hermosa offers you a variety of beach breaks to choose from and is centrally located to access other breaks in the area.
- Swimimg - There is no lifeguards but it is fairly common for people to swim at low tide. Watch out for strong rips as the tides here in the Pacific Ocean can vary from roughly 6 to 10 feet.
There is Pulperia in town that stocks the essentials and a liquor store on the highway. For groceries, there are 2 major supermarkets (Mas y Menos and Maxi Bodega) 5 minutes away in Jaco.
A few good restaurants offering pizza, seafood and other casual foods line the coastal road, facing the beach.
- Cafe Hermosa Located on the 3rd floor of Surf Inn Hermosa, this cafe features breathtaking views over the Pacific.
- Backyard Bar One of the local hot spots. Well known. Ladies night wednesday can be fun. They also have great live music on the weekends, and a weekly surf contest on Saturdays.
- Beachhome ., Torre del Tiempo, 2nd floor, Av. Pastor Diaz, downtown across from Banco Nacional, Jaco Beach, +1 801 938-3494 +506 2643-2222, Property management company that offers independently-owned luxury and family, fully equipped vacation rental villas, houses and condominiums around the Central Pacific Coast, in locations such as: Jaco Beach, Playa Hermosa, Esterillos and the luxurious Los Suenos Resort and Marina.
- Surf Inn Hermosa  Ocean front boutique Inn & rooftop cafe.
- Rancho Grande 10USD/night. The owners have two lovely children (ok, they are a little wild), but nonetheless, loveable. Great place to stay.