Hermanus is situated at South Africa's south coast, near the Garden Route.
Hermanus, a picturesque seaside town situated in the Overberg area and on Walker Bay, is a popular holiday village close to Cape Town. Two words come to mind: holiday & Southern Right whale watching.
The town, embraced by majestic mountaintops, is most famous for being the home of the Southern Right Whale. Every year these gentle creatures of the sea migrate along the coast of South Africa with Walker Bay as one of their destinations, to calve and nurture their young.
From the harbour of Hermanus, boat trips depart on a regular basis to see these majestic whales from up-close. One can also stay ashore as Hermanus is the best land based whale watching destination in South Africa, and possibly the world, especially during the Hermanus Whale Festival.
Apart from whale watching, the area of Hermanus boasts some excellent holiday accommodation such as the Misty Waves. Also, plenty of possibilities to spend the day in an active way: hiking, fishing, boating, horse back riding, and more.
Follow the N2 eastwards from Cape Town or westwards when coming from George and leave it near Caledon.
- Percy Tours, PO Box 488, Main Road, Hermanus (explore all that Hermanus has to offer), ☎ +27-(0)72-062-8500, . 24hrs. Percy Tours will help you explore Hermanus and all its amazing Wine lands, countryside, beaches, mountains, marine creatures (whales and great white sharks..) and 100s of adventure activities - check out - www.percytours.com (-34,19)
Go on a boat tour to see whales from very close. You might also see some from the coast and there is a whale watcher, who's only job is to spot whales that come along.
- Great White Shark Tours, Kleinbaai, South Africa (Follow the road through Hermanus to Gansbaai, turn right into Kleinbaai, our house is on the hill overlooking the harbour.), ☎ +27(0)833002138, . 8:00-18:00. Come and join Brian McFarlane on his boat - Apex Predator - on a face to face experience with the ultimate hunter, the great white shark. We offer cage diving, no previous experience needed, and surface viewing in the area surrounding Dyer Island, host to one of the most dense populations of great white sharks in the world. You'll have a chance to see great white sharks, penguins, dolphins, whales, seals and a variety of marine birds on this, the trip of a lifetime. R1250.
- Southern Right Charters (Whale Watching Hermanus), [email protected], ☎ +27(0)82 353 0550, . Offers boat based whale watching in Walker Bay and a great new summer opportunity aboard the modern, luxury, custom-built catamaran, Miroshca.
- Percy Tours (tours and transfers of Hermanus), PO Box 488 Main Road Hermanus (we collect you at any location), ☎ +27 (0)72 062 8500, . Percy Tours offer designer tours (and transfers) of Hermanus, Cape Town and the Western Cape with a fleet of luxury minibuses and cars, with Chauffeur Tour Guides on board. Wine Tours, Safaris, Whale Watching, Great White Shark cage diving, airport transfers, Quad Biking, Cessna plane flights over the whales, Kayaking with the whales and loads more........check out - www.percytours.com (-34,19)
- Mosaic Farm, ☎ +27 (0)28 313-2814, . On the south side of the Hermanus lagoon. Magnificent setting looking across the lagoon to the mountain from the restored stone manor house, "The Spookhouse", or from luxury African style Lagoon Lodge.
- FrancolinHof Guest House, 44 10th Avenue, Voëlklip, Hermanus, ☎ +27 (0)28 314-0571 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)28 314-0587), . This four star guest house is the first to receive a Gold rating for Accessibility. From R410 per person, discounted in winter.
- Hermanus Seafront, 31 Tobago Bay, ☎ +27 (0)83 629-4259, . Self-catering accommodation, one-bedroom holiday apartment overlooks the sea - excellent for whale-watching or as a base to explore the region. From R600 per night.
- 19th Hole Guest Lodge, 281 Main Rd, Hermanus (Follow the main road towards Gansbaai, can't miss us! 281), ☎ +27(0)28 3122766, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. 4 Star Bed and Breakfast situated close to the famous Hermanus cliff path which offers some the best land based whale watching in the world. The premisses was once the golf course club house and is therefor situated on the 27 hole Hermanus golf course. All 5 rooms are en-suite with french doors opening onto the golf course. The swimming pool area is ideal for relaxation and soaking up that South African sun. R900.
- Milkwood Lodge Hermanus, 152 Seventh Street ,Voëlklip, Hermanus 7200 (Getting here from Cape Town: Take the N2 and continue past the Airport to Somerset West. Either follow the N2 over Sir Lowry's Pass, turning onto the R43 after the Houwhoek Pass, or take the R44 along the coast and turn onto the R43 to Hermanus. Drive through the business centre until you get to a stop street, you will see the Marine Hotel on the right side. Carry on and pass the Golf Course until you get to a traffic circle – Main Road becomes Seventh Street at the traffic circle. Milkwood Lodge is 1.1 kms further along on the left side of the road. Drive past Milkwood Lodge and turn left into 10th Avenue, left into 6th Street and then left into 9th Avenue. You will see the entrance of Milkwood Lodge on your right hand side. Getting here from the Garden Route: The N2 brings you west past Swellendam and Riviersonderend. 10km past Riviersonderend turn onto the R326 to Stanford. At Stanford turn right onto the R43. Milkwood Lodge is situated 22km from Stanford on the R43. When you enter Hermanus there is a “Welcome to Hermanus” sign. Approximately 1.3 kms further you will see Milkwood Lodge on the right hand side.), ☎ +27 (0)28 314 1736, . checkin: 12h30; checkout: 11h00. Milkwood Lodge 4 Star guesthouse offers B&B and selfcatering accommodation within walking distance of Grotto Beach and the seafront cliff path. The en-suite rooms have private patios and private entrances, some with twin and other with kingsize beds. There is a one bedroom cottage which is fully equipped and caters for 2 adults and 2-3 children. There are day beds in the lounge for the children. There are some rooms that cater for families. Ancient listed trees create the special ambience of this lodge. There is a swimming pool and barbeque facilities for guests use.\ R450.