Herk-de-Stad  is in Limburg, Flanders (Belgium).
Herk-de-Stad is a small village on the border of the Limburg and Brabant region in Belgium. It has a pretty old history as the first official documents date from 1107! The location Of Herk-de-Stad within the triangle of Diest/Hasselt/Sint-Truiden made it an excellent place for living and business all over it's history. Herk-de-Stad is a strong agriculture region specialised in low stem orchards of hard fruits and cranberries.
Herk-de-Stad has multiple municipalities called Herk, Schulen, Schakkebroek, Berbroek and Donk.
- Best way to get in by car is using Exit 25 of the E314 Highway and then use the express way Hasselt-Diest
- Best way to get in by train is using the station of Diest of Hasselt and take the bus to Herk-de-Stad there are frequently buses running from both stations.
Best way to get around is by motorcycle, bike, walking and/or public transport. Public transport is not expansive in Belgium and rather correct in timings however if you prefer your car there is no problem. All parking is free and there is always a good spot.
As Herk-de-Stad is in the Flemish region the native language is Dutch. They also have a dialect based on Dutch however it is mostly spoken by the older generation of locals. Most people have a good basic notice of French and English especially the younger locals.
- "de Herkermolen" a watermill visible from the express way Hasselt-Diest. It is a mill on the river "De Herk" and surrender by nature. It's a so called "grain and oil"-mill. The mill is in good condition and still running.
- Domain "Het Olmenhof". It is a relaxing natural domain in the center of Herk, It has a playground, skatepark, some animals, a restaurant and a pond. Fishing is allowed however you need a permit. Entrance of the domain is free all year round. The gardens around the terrain contain plants and trees from allover the world, most of them are marked with an information sign
- Churches of Berbroek, Donk, Herk and Schakkebroek are open for public most of the time and well maintained or renovated.
- Castle of Landwijk is a castle build in 1718 in Donk
- Monastery of Herk-de-Stad and the girls school. At the entrance of the city you will find the Monastery with it's huge variety of styles and massive size it is worth a visit or a picture. It still is an active Monastery. Since the 90's the school is mixed gender.
- Statute of freedom on the market of Herk-de-Stad
- Lake Schulen, here you can enjoy a day in nature next to the lake, eat some pancakes. It somehow feels a bit Scandinavian. []
- Rent or bring a bike and do a tour between the fruit fields.
- Play Tennis at the Tennis club in Schulen
- Fishing at "het Olmenhof"
- Surfing, kayak or sailing at "het Schulens meer" (Lake Schulen)
- Visit the fruit auction early in the morning on the industrial park of Herk-De-Stad
- Visit the market on Wednesday early in the morning to buy fresh cheap products from the region
- Jogging in the park of "het Olmenhof"
- Cultural events, concerts and exhibitions can be visited in "de Markthallen" in the center of Herk. A calendar can be found on their website []
Buy some local pie's and traditional cookies at the local bakery.
There are several banks in Herk-de-Stad offering an ATM. International transfers using Maestro, Mastercard and Visa are supported by all ATM's. The Belgian Post also offers international money pick-up in their offices.
- You can eat traditional Belgian Fries and snacks in a local "Frituur". In the center of Herk you have "Frituur Chanry" [] you can also choose the take-a-way option.
- "De Gulden Mortier" is a more fancy restaurant located on the market of Herk. It has a huge graffiti wall on the inside done by a local artist called D. Swijgers. It offers Belgian-French kitchen, a descend bar and a huge terras on the market itself. During the weekends you will find some ambiance and party power especially during the summer months
- "Het wendelenhof" is a typical Belgian-French restaurant in Schulen. It is more classy and offers good parking space. []
- "Brasserie Sint-Jan" probably the best food/price ratio in a very nice renovated building in Schulen. It offers a huge range of dishes and has both indoor and outdoor places. They have some local specials like the "Schulens gras" small pasta like potato ships with a good regional stake. Worth a try! []
Herk-de-Stad also offers international food options:
- There is a kebab on the market with Turkish specialities (also offers take-a-way)
- There is a Chinese restaurant in the center called "New China Corner" (also offers take-a-way) (Address: Hofstraat 9)
- San George II grill room for all kind of grilled meats. (Address: Grote Baan 39)
- Students and youth are hanging around at cafe "Palieter" (Address: Ridderstraat)
- All other folks enjoy a beer, wine or soda at the market where "De Gulden Mortier" is the most popular place []
Hotels are available in the region of Diest and next to the exit Halen of the E314 there is also a classy, more expensive hotel. A B&B is also available called Azadro (Address: Hulshoekstraat 1, 3560 Linkhout) []
- Emergency number + Fire Brigade: 112
- Anti poison center: +32(0)70/245.245
- Card stop: +32(0)70/344.344 (In case of theft from credit cards)
- Child Focus: +32(0)2/475.44.99
- Police: 101
- VAB: +32(0)70/344.666 (In case of problems with a failing car or motorcycle)
Herk-de-Stad has full 3G/UMTS and Cellphone coverage. Belgian post office is located in the center of Herk-de-Stad near the market. You can buy stamps and send packages. Cards can be ordered in the post office or the local suppermarket. You can buy a Belgian pre-paid phone card at the post or all supermarkets.
Herk-de-Stad also has one copy-shop called "Drukkerij Vanwing" (Address: Ridderstraat 9) []
The phone regional code is: 013
- Churches have a schedule printed near their entrance. Most services are on Sunday's. They are free and open for public.
- The Library can be found on the market.
- The Police station van be found on the market (Follow the signs "Politie")
- A visit to Diest
- A visit to Hasselt
- A Visit to Sint-Truiden
- Visit the sunken roads in Halen, Loksbergen or Zelk
- Visit the forests in Zelem (Part of Halen)