Hanover is a city in west central New Hampshire. It is home to Dartmouth College, founded in 1769. Dartmouth's pretty campus dominates the center of this small town and provides most of the attraction.
Interstate 93 north to Interstate 89 north at Concord, NH. Exit I-89 at Exit 18 in Lebanon, NH, bear right onto Route 120 north and follow to Hanover.
Take I-89 south to I-91 north in White River Junction, VT. Continue as below.
- From New York (about 5 hours), southern New England and points south
Take Interstate 91 north to exit 13 at Norwich, Vermont. Bear right off the exit, across the Ledyard Bridge spanning the Connecticut River. Continue up the hill on West Wheelock St. in Hanover.
- Vermont Transit, In-state: 800-642-3133, Out-of-state: 800-451-3292, .
- Dartmouth Coach, Phone: +1 603 448-2800, Toll free: +1 800 637-0123., . Daily service between the Dartmouth campus and Boston South Station and Logan Airport.
- Advance Transit, +1 802 295-1824, . Serves the Upper Valley towns. All routes are free.
- The downtown/campus area is easily covered on foot.
- Advance Transit, +1 802 295-1824, . Bus line has a campus route and also serves most neighboring towns to which one is likely to go.
- Hood Museum of Art, Wheelock Street, Phone: +1 603 646-2808, Fax: +1 603 646-1400, email: [email protected], . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM (W to 11PM); Su 12PM-5PM. Wheelchair accessible. Free.
- Hopkins Center for the Arts, Wheelock Street, Phone: +1 603 646-2422, Fax: +1 603 646-1375, email: [email protected], . Visual arts, theatre, dance, film, concerts, it's all here.
- Montshire Museum of Science, One Montshire Road, Norwich, VT, Phone: +1 802 649-2200, Fax: +1 802 649-3637, E-mail: [email protected], . Just across the river.
- Hanover Country Club Golf Course, Rope Ferry Rd., Phone: +1 603 646-2000, . 18 holes, 6500 yards, Semi-private course welcomes public play.
- Dartmouth Cross Country Ski Center, DOC House at Occum Pond on Clement Rd., Phone: +1 603 643-6534, . Maintains over twenty-five kilometers of groomed cross country ski trails on Oak Hill, the Golf Course and Garipay Field. Provides equipment rentals for skiing, skating, and other winter activities, as well as group and private instruction.
- League of New Hampshire Craftsmen, 13 Lebanon St., Gallery: +1 603 643-5050, CraftStudies: +1 603 643-5384, . A gallery worth seeing, but also classes in clay, jewelry and fiber.
- Dan & Whit's General Store, Main Street in Norwich, Vermont. Open every day. Nexus from which all distances are measured. A true general store with a treasure trove of gadgets and tools spanning the early farming days of the area to the present. If you need something that is rare or out of season, they will have it in the back. Slip behind the deli counter to find gardening and sugaring supplies, sleds, hardware and paint. "If we don't have it, you don't need it."
- Canoe Club, 27 S. Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-9660.
- Bagel Basement, 6 Allen Street (downstairs), Phone: +1 603 643-2245.
- Dirt Cowboy Café, 9 S. Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-1323.
- Everything But Anchovies, 5 Allen Street, Phone: +1 603 643-6135, .
- 5 Olde Nugget Alley, Phone: +1 603 643-5081.
- Jesse's Restaurant & Tavern, Lebanon Road, Phone: +1 603 643-4111.
- Molly's Restaurant & Bar, 43 S. Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-2570.
- Murphy's On the Green, 11 S. Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-4075, .
- Subway, 11 Lebanon Street, Phone: +1 603 643-0360.
- BoLoCo, 35 S. Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-0202, .
- Zin's at Hanover Inn, Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-4300.
- India Queen, 44 S. Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-6900.
- The Jewel of India, 27 Lebanon Street, Phone: +1 603 643-2217.
- Mai Thai Cuisine, 44 S. Main Street, Phone: +1 603 643-9980.
- Jesse's Restaurant & Tavern, Lebanon Road, Phone: ‘‘+1 603’’ 643-4111.
- Molly's Restaurant & Bar, 43 S. Main Street, Phone: ‘‘+1 603’’ 643-2570.
- Murphy's On the Green, 11 S. Main Street, Phone: ‘‘+1 603’’ 643-4075, .
Be advised that accommodations are extremely difficult to find in the area on special Dartmouth weekends such as Graduation, home football games and Winter Carnival.
- The Hanover Inn, Main Street, Toll free: +1 800-443-7024, Phone: +1 603 643-4300, .
- Chieftan Motor Inn, 84 Lyme Road (Rt. 10), +1 800-845-3557, Phone: +1 603 643-2550.
- The Norwich Inn, 325 Main Street, Tel (802) 649-1143)  This historic Vermont inn offers it's own alehouse and brewery, meeting and reception facilities, a variety of rooms and much more.
- The Trumbull House Bed & Breakfast, 40 Etna Road, Toll free: +1 800-651-5141, Phone: +1 603 643-2370, . Five rooms in a sixteen acre country setting.
- Norwich Bed and Breakfast, 229 Bradley Hill Road, ☎ 802-649-3800, . Elegant country living on a twenty acre working farm overlooking the Connecticut River and the White Mountains. Four elegant rooms, spendidly appointed, each with private bath. Scrumptious farm-style breakfast with local produce including organic eggs from our free-range chickens.
Hanover is in the middle of many charming small towns. For a scenic drive take Route 10 north along the Connecticut River and then Routes 116 and 112 to the Lincoln in the White Mountain National Forest.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!