Halberstadt Is a town in the German state of "Sachsen Anhalt", located at the northern foothills of the Harz and known as The Gateway to the Harz Mountains it is only a few minutes by car from the mountains. A town of about 50,000 people, travellers are welcomed from afar by the impressive towers of the 1200-year old Bishop`s Seat. The town was severely damaged in World War II, but retains many important historic buildings and much of its ancient townscape. Notable places in Halberstadt include the Liebfrauenkirche and St. Stephen Cathedral, churches built in the 12th and 13th centuries, respectively. Halberstadt is the site of the first documented large, permanent pipe organ installation in 1361. The cathedral is notable among those in northern European towns in having retained its medieval treasury in virtually complete condition. Among its treasures are the oldest surviving tapestries in Europe, dating from the 12th century.
Halberstadt can be reached by train from Magdeburg, 55 km away.
- Halberstadt has around 9.5 kilometers of tram track which form 2 tram routes around the town. These trams can be accessed from any one of around 30 tram stops and used to travel around the area for a small charge. Timetables and prices can be downloaded at the following website.
- Halberstadt has 5 bus routes which cover the whole area and are available for use by visitors and locals alike for a small charge. Timetable and prices also at the above website.
- Hinter dem Rathause 6 ,Tel: 0049 3941 551815 Fax: 0049 3941 551089. A 1939 Tram with 40 seats can be booked for a 1 hour tour of the town at a cost of 129 Euro. This must be pre booked on the website.
- Bus parkplatz hoher weg. A combined bus/walk tour of the town lasting 90 minutes and costing 48 Euros for 20 people. This must be booked also at the above website.
- roland am rathaus. A guided tour of Halberstadt taking 90 minutes for up to 20 wheelchair users at acost of 48 Euros for up to 20 people.This must also be booked on the above website.
- Gleimhaus Halberstadt Domplatz 31, Tel 0049 0 39 41 / 68 71-0. This Lierature Museum displays the collection put together in 1862 by the poet "Johan Ludwig Wilhelm Gleim" and is a must for fans of German Poetry and Literature..
- Berend Lehmann Museum Bakenstraße 57 Tel 0049 3941 583238 Established in 2001, on the 300th Aniversary of the Prussian state, this museum is concerned with German-Jewish history and in particular the difficult periods of Prussian-Jewish history. There is also a cafe on site for refreshments. Opening Times Tues - Thur 12:00 - 18:00 hrs ,Fri,Sat 12:00 - 2200 hrs, sun 1200 - 1700 hrs.
Houses of Worship
- St. Burchardi church (Sankt-Burchardi-Kirche), ☎ ""email="", . This little church has been playing a John Cage piece called Organ²/ASLSP (As SLow aS Possible) since September 5, 2001. The note played changes on average once a year, and the concert is scheduled to end on September 5, 2640. The next six dates when something happens are February 5, 2011; August 5, 2011; July 5, 2012; October 5, 2013 and September 5, 2020.
- Der Halberstädter Dom St. Stephanus und St. Sixtus.The dom was built from 1236-1491 and is considered a Jewel of Gothic architecture. The two mighty towers typify renaissance and barock building skills.The Dom had 2 predecessors. one was the 859 karoling Build und the 922 Otto creation. The 600 Artifacts and treasures in the Dom collection make up the largest and most important collection of middle ages art in any German church. The Dom was severely damaged in 1945 nand was restored by Halberstadt architect Walter Bolze.Opening times Mon - Fri 1000 - 1730, sat- sun 1100- 1730 hrs ( entry 8 Euro) .
Places of Interest
- Cave dwellings of langenstein. Occupied as dwellings until 1916 these dwellings are unique within Germany.
- Giant Wine Barrel In den Spiegelsbergen 6 , Tel 0049 3941 583995. Located in Jagdschloss is Halberstadts entry in the Guinness book of records, namely the oldest and largest wine barrel in the world. Holding 140,000 litres it was built 400 years ago by Michael Werner from Landau, and was entered in the Guinness book of records on 6 june 2008. The barrel can be accessed via the Spiegelsberge Jagdschloss restaurant which opens daily from 1100 hrs.
- Nordharzer Stadtebundtheater Spiegelstr. 20a tel 0049 03941/6965-49 Fax: 0049 03941/442652 For visitors who wish to experience German Theatre. There are details on the website of a frequent and varied programme of productions and tickets can also be ordered on the website or purchased directly in the theatre..
- Sport and Freizeitzentrum Gebrüder-Rehse-Str. 12 Tel 0049 (0 39 41) 6878 0 Fax 0049(0 39 41) 68 78 22. Halberstadt has a large sports centre which consists of a sports and fitness area, a comprehensive water park, and a large wellness and beauty centre. Sportsand includes squash, tennis, badmington and a climbing wall as well as a comprehensive keep fit and weight training area. Sealand has 4700 square metres of water park facilities such as pools and slides etc. Sauna land offers a range of sauna experiences and beautyland completes the set with wellness facilities on offer.Opening Hours the many facilities have different timings, the website gives a full list..
- Tiergarten Halberstadt Spiegelsberge 4, tel 0049 3941 24132 A Family friendly park which will provide a few hours entertainment for children and animal lovers. Open all year round, its occupants include camels,racoons,wolves, dingos, Lynxes as well as domestic animals and an area where visitors can touch the tame animals and feed them. There is also an amusing animal school show for visitors..
- Rathauspassagen Halberstadt Centermanagement Holzmarkt 7, Tel 0049 (03941) 573780, fax 0049 (03941) 5737830. Located in the town centre is a modern colourful indoor shopping centre with a wide variety of shops catering for the majority of needs. visitors can utilise the free car park with 500 spaces and enjoy shopping in comfort for everything from groceries to clothes and electronics etc.Opening Hours Mon to Fri 9.00 - 20.00 hrs Sat 9.00 to 18.00 hrs.[ http://www.rathauspassagen-halberstadt.de/].
- Restaurant Olive Bakenstraße 1, Tel 0049 3941 625159. Situated in the middle of the Old Town this establishment offers a mouthwatering selection of mediteranian dishes. Brunch buffet can be had from 1100 - 1500 hrs, with lunch specials costing as little as 5 Euros. Opening Hours Mo - Sa 12:00 - 14:30 hrs and 18:00 - 22:00 hrs , Sun 11:00 - 15:00 hrs and 18:00 - 22:00 hrs.
- Restaurant Schwejk Dr.-Crohn-Str. 1, Tel 0049 3941 567922. Hearty Bohemian dishes washed down with Chech beer is the order of the day in restaurant Schwejk at very reasonable prices, from 9 Euros for a main meal. There is also an affiliated butchers shop for those who wish to purchase fresh meats or German sausage. Opening Hours mon - sun 1100 - 2300 hrs.
- Milchbar. Spiegelstraße 63 , tel 0049 3941 419603. This 80 seat restaurant specialises in confectionary,fruit and ice cream ,but also offers a selection of hot meals. Opening hours Mon - sat 1400-2200hrs , Sunday 1400 - 1900 hrs.
- Restaurant Theatre Cafe Straße der OdF 38, Tel: 0049 3941 623188. Located at the Theatre (entrance through EDEKA carpark) this cafe also specilises in home made cakes and ice cream and has seating for 80 , Tour groups are welcome. Opening Hours Mon - Fri 0900-1500 or 2 Hours before theatre shows.
- Zum Johannestor Westendorf 52 Tel 0049 3941 604643 This charming little restaurant is located in a building dating from the 16th Century and offers local dishes using local produce. Tour groups should book as seating is restricted to 34. Opening Hours Tues - Sat 1100-1400 hrs and from 1800 hrs, Sunday 1100 - 1400 hrs.
- Restaurant Alt Halberstadt Voigtei 17 - 19 , Tel 0049 3941 600622. Offering freshly cooked traditional German food in an atmosphere which gives a flavour of the history of Halberstadt. The walls of this beautiful old building are decorated with historical pictures of halberstadt. Opening Hours Tues - Sat From 11:00 hrs, Sun 11:00 - 16:00 hrs.
- Jagdschloss Spiegelsberge In den Spiegelsbergen 6 , Tel 0049 3941 583995. This beautiful building boasts a full range of traditional German cuisine and is worth a visit just to admire the Building itself. as an added bonus you can get to see the worlds biggest and oldest wine barrel (as seen in the guinness book of records). Opening Hours Tues - Sun from 1100 hrs ( monday closed).
- Ristoranti Rossini Voigtei 27 , Tel 0049 3941 4193233. A typical Italian restaurant, popular with the locals and serving a selection of Piza ,Pasta and Meat dishes at affordable. Opening Hours Wed - Mon 11.00 - 15.00 and 17.00 - 23.00 hrs (Tues-closed).
- Bodega El Papagayo Holzmarkt 1, Tel 0049 3941 609515 This Spanish restaurant will tempt your taste buds with Tapas and paella as well as the speciality of the house "El Sombrero". Opening Hours Daily 11.30 - 14.30 hrs and from 18.00 Uhr.
- Zur Ratslaube Holzmarkt 1, Tel 0049 3941 625285. For a nice cold German beer enjoyed in a nice atmosphere, or even a Coffee, then this attractive Gasthaus comes highly recomended and has a beer garden, ample seating and a car park. Opening Hours daily from 1100 hrs.
- Gastatte Bullerberg Am Bullerberg 3, Tel 0049 3941 24278. Also boasting a beergarden and a relaxing atmosphere is this in 1720 established Gasthaus. It is located at the lowest part of the town and also serves a good selection of food. Bullerberg is especially suitable for large groups or seminars as it can seat up to 800 people in various function rooms.Opening Hours Wed - Sun from 1000 hrs. Monday and tuesday - by private arrangement.
- Gastatte am sommerbad Gebrüder-Rehse-Str. 10, Tel 0049 3941 443123 A unique Gasthaus and restaurant built in a disused swimming pool with room for 150 guests inside and 70 outside. A comprehensive food menu is available to guests also.
- Hotel Ambiente Gröperstraße 88, tel 0049 03941 586-650 This 3 star hotel is situated 1.5 kilometres from the town centre. It offers spacious modern rooms, a WI FI hot spot and a restaurant. Prices start at 49 Euros for a single room and 64 Euros for a double.
- Parkhotel Unter den Linden Klamrothstr. 2, Tel: 0049(0)3941-6254-0 fax: 0049(0)3941-6254-444 With rooms starting at 88 Euros, this 4 star hotel was renovated completely in 1992/3 and boasts of architecture and decoration in "English style". It also has beautiful gardens and a large restaurant which caters for all tastes..
- Hotel Abtshof Kaffeepott Abtshof 27 a , Tel 0049 3941 68830 Situated in the Old Town, this charming little hotel has 12 double and 10 single rooms together with a restaurant and beergarden. Rooms are very affordable with a weekend (fri- Sun) offer starting at 99 Euros, and special Biker holiday rates. Visit the website for details..
- Brauhaus Heine Große Ringstraße, Tel 0049 3941 31800. This beautiful historic building boasts a 4 star Hotel which has a large wellness centre and is also suitable for functions or conferences.It has an excellent international reputation and comes highly recommended. The luxurious dining room serves a full German and international menu and single rooms start at 74 Euros. .
- Stadtverwaltung Halberstadt Postfach 1537 38805 Halberstadt Sachsen-Anhalt. Tel: 0049 3941 550 Fax: 0049 3941 551090..
- DDR Museum Thale, Saxony-Anhalt. 10 miles south of Halberstadt
- Wernigerode Castle 12 miles west of Halberstadt
- Westernstadt Pullman Theme Park, Hasselfelde, 15 miles southwest of Halberstadt
- Train ride to Brocken Wernigerode, 20 miles west of Halberstadt
- Burgberg-Seilbahn Landmarks, Bad Harzburg, 21 miles west of Halberstadt
- Rammelsberg Mine and Mining Museum Goslar, 27 miles west of Halberstadt
- National-Park Harz Wernigerode, 27 miles west of Halberstadt
- Die Grune Zitadelle von Magdeburg Architectural Buildings 30 miles northeast of Halberstadt
- Europa Rosarium Gardens, Sangerhausen, 31 miles south of Halberstadt
- Iberger Limestone Cave Bad Grund, 34 miles west of Halberstadt
- Panorama Museum Bad Frankenhausen, Thuringia. 37 miles south of Halberstadt
- Volkswagen Auto Museum Wolfsburg, 38 miles north of Halberstadt
- Designer Outlets Wolfsburg, 39 miles north of Halberstadt
- Monkeyman Theme Parks,Wolfsburg, 39 miles north of Halberstadt
- Wilhelm-Busch-Muehle Architectural Buildings, Gottingen, 46 miles southwest of Halberstadt
- Schloss Gifhorn (Gifhorn Castle)46 miles northwest of Halberstadt
- Internationales Wind- und Wassermuehlen-MuseumGifhorn, 47 miles northwest of Halberstadt
- Russisch-orthodoxe Holzkirche des Heiligen NikolausGifhorn, 47 miles northwest of Halberstadt
- Isenhagen AbbeyGifhorn, 48 miles northwest of Halberstadt
- Bad Harzburg
- Bad Sachsa
- Bad Suderode
- Luther City Eisleben
- Mansfelder Grund
- Sankt Andreasberg