Haast is a small collection of communities, Haast Junction, Haast township and Haast Beach, on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. It is located on the edge of Mount Aspiring National Park, part of the UNESCO's Southwest New Zealand World Heritage Area.
- State Highway 6. SH6 runs right through Haast, and more specifically Haast Junction, so access from Wanaka in the east or from Fox Glacier, Frans Josef Glacier, Hokitika, Greymouth in the north is very easy. SH6 oftens offers beautiful vistas of the Tasman Sea and travels through rainforests.
Use your thumb, your feet or your car because there is no public transportation in this small community.
- Heliventures, . Many different packages are offering, some combining a flight with boat trips. You can take to the air for a variety of different reasons, including:
- Scenic Flights. See the Mataketake Range, the Lost Valley, Mount Aspiring, Milford Sound, or Mount Cook and the glaciers. Flights range from 20 minutes to 2 hours and pricing is from NZ$170 to NZ$695. Custom tailored flights are available.
- Thunder Creek Falls. A quick and easy walk from the carpark on State Highway 6 to see an amazing 90 foot (28m) waterfall. Catch this waterfall along with several others as you drive into or away from Haast.
- Heliventures, . You can take a quick ride in a helicopter to help you accomplish your favorite sport:
- Hunting & Fishing. Hire one of their guides and fly into some of the most remote areas for the best sporting. Prices vary depending on location, passengers and other needs.
- Kayaking/Rafting. Take your kayak to the Landsborough or the Waiatoto River for NZ$250 per person. (Minimum 4 people). Rafting trips must be prearranged. It is a three day trip for $1195 per person.
- Photography. Custom flights for photographers, filmmakers or artists. Pricing from $1300-$1700 per flying hour.
- River Safaris, 64 03 750 0101, 0800 865 382, .
- Haast River, . Hour and a half trip in the Haast River Valley departing at 9am and 2pm daily. Adult NZ$110, Child (5-12yrs) NZ$50.
- Waiatoto Jetboat Safari. The first and only sea to mountain river safari in the world. Five hour round trip including an opportunity for a short walk. Departing 9am, 12pm, 3pm. Adult NZ$109, Child NZ$69.
- Round About Haast, Jackson Bay Road, 64 03 750 0890, . Boat and Guided tours to see penguins, dolphins, seals and the wilderness in general.
- Walking. Various tracks in the area offer an opportunity to experience the wilderness of the area.
- Dune Lake Walk. An easy 30 minute walk.
- Hapuka Estuary Walk. An easy 20 minute walk. Starting just across from the Haast Beach Holiday Park, this track offers several diffent environments to explore, including 800 year old Rimu trees. This a beautiful track for bird watching.
- Ship Creek Tauparikaka Walks. An easy 20 minute walk to see some of the country's tallest trees. The track starts from road to Lake Moeraki.
- Smoothwater Bay Track. A moderate 2 to 3 hour walk.
- Cafe Bar, located at the Haast World Heritage Hotel. Open daily. During the summer a buffet dinner starts at 6pm daily.
- Fantail Cafe, Marks Road, 64 03 750 0055, 0800 681 682. Summer 7:30am-5pm; Winter 8am-3:30pm.
- McGuires Lodge, State Highway 6, 64 03 750 0020, 0800 624 847, .
- Smithy's Tavern, Marks Road, 64 03 750 0034.
- The Craypot, Jackson Bay, 64 03 750 0035. Fast food with a view. Open daily 10:30am-7pm.
- Aspiring Court Motel and Haast Lodge, Marks Road, 64 03 750 0703, 0800 500 703. Studio and family motel rooms. YHA member discount on the cabins, budget rooms, powered sites, and tent sites.
- Bay Road Motels, Jackson Bay Road, 64 03 750 0883.
- Collyer House, Jackson Bay Road, 64 03 750 0022, . Four deluxe ensuite rooms in a very private, beautiful home on the coast.
- Haast Beach Holiday Park, Jackson Bay Road, 64 03 750 0860, 0800 843 226. Motel rooms, cabins, powered sites and tent sites.
- Heritage Park Lodge, 64 03 750 0868, 0800 526 252, . 16 ensuite rooms.
- Haast World Heritage Hotel, State Highway 6 and Jackson Bay Road, 64 03 750 0828, 0800 502 444, . 54 ensuite rooms as well as backpacker share units. Remodeling is underway in an effort to upgrade the quality of the hotel. NZ$30 - NZ$199.
- McGuires Lodge, State Highway 6, 64 03 750 0020, 0800 624 847, . 19 rooms.
- Okuru Beach Homestay Bed and Breakfast, 64 03 750 0719, . Homestay, ensuite and share rooms available.
- Wilderness Accommodation Motel and Backpackers, Marks Road, 64 03 750 0029. BBH member discounts.
- Head into Mount Aspiring National Park.