Haad Yao is one of the most beautiful beaches on Koh Phangan. The sandy beach stretches over one kilometer from Haad Son through to the headland that shelters the bay.
The beach is also very wide allowing a wide variety of sports and activities.
From Thongsala and the ferry terminal the taxi ride is just ten minutes. The fare per person should be BHT 100. The cab drivers will produce a booklet that claims BHT 150 is the standard fare. It is not. BARGAIN!
Walking, renting motorbikes or sharing taxis to Thongsala - the main port. Twenty five minutes to Haad Rin and the full moon party.
Sunbathing, swimming, diving, snorkeling and eating.
There is a life reef that stretches, a short swim (about 400m), along the bay and beyond. Well worth snorkeling along.
During high-season there are several boat trips offered starting from the beach e.g. Black Coral Tours. These tours start from the beach and the boats anchor on the shore, they drive their out-board motors through the shallow water damaging the coral and have been known to cut it close with swimmers, not to mention the noise and the film of diesel on the water that they leave behind. Sign up for tours that are based at a pier, otherwise the beauty of the reef and beach will soon be damaged beyond repair.
- Haad Yao Lounge Fitness & Sauna, 54/15 Moo 8 Haad Yao (on the main road, opposite J.B. Hut and Easy Life). *<do name="Reefers Diving" alt="" address="58/18 Moo 8 Haad Yao" directions="" phone="+66 (0) 87/894 06 37" url="www.reefersdiving.com" hours="" price="" lat="" long="">Reefers’ 5 STAR dive centre is based at Shiralea Backpackers Resort with an additional booking office at Sandy Bay Resort on Haad Yao beach. The Shiralea site offers a friendly relaxed diving environment; the largest 3m deep training pool on the island, airy classrooms and equipment retail & rental. All PADI courses from beginner to Pro, daily dive and snorkel trips to all the best sites in the area.
- Haad Yao Divers, the first Dive Centre on the beach and a pioneer diving Koh Phangan. Located behind Silver Beach Bungalows. If you come from the main road next to Apache Bar. PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Resort, swiss management, friendly team, great boat.
Shopping is available at Thongsala, some ten minutes away by taxi. Locally there are shops, mini malls and restaurants.
Thai and European food. There are many restaurants on the beach and behind on the road to Thongsala.
CRAVE restaurant & lounge, located opposite 7/11 on the second floor, this reataurant offer some great burgers, crunchy salads, many vegetarian delights and great homemade drinks. Free pool table and big screen tv. Wifi available.
Haad Yao Villa, located in the middle of the beach, has the best Thai-food on the beach while being in the same price range as most of the other restaurants. Thai dishes from BHT 60 up. Staff is very friendly and has been known to give free stuff to repeat costumers.
Absolute Island, up on the cliff at the beginning of the beach, does a very good package breakfast for BHT 100. The view from the restaurant is well worth the climb. Cocktails start at BHT 100.
Silver Beach View in the middle of the beach has a rather beautiful balcony overlooking the sea. The prices are average but the food is mediocre at best. Get a drink and enjoy the view.
There are many bars on the beach set within the hotels and bungalows that are located here. If you want a real (non-instant) coffee, head to the resort restaurant at the end of the beach.
- Absolute Island has a limited number of bungalows on the cliff at the beginning of Haad Yao. Clean, but a bit of a climb. No view. Fan BHT 300, Aircon BHT 500. Grounds are used as a drive through for the jet-ski.
- Bounty Island is a resort next to Absolute Island with beautifully kept grounds and bungalows. Some of the bungalows have a beautiful view of the ocean/beach. Fan from BHT 350 to aircon from BHT 700.
- Haad Yao Bay view, Haad Yao Beach, . checkin: 11.00; checkout: 10.00. Haad Yao Bay View Resort offers thiry beach front rooms on one of the most popular beach destinations on Koh Phangan in Thailand. 1,750 -2,750 Baht.
- Haad Yao See Through Resort, Haad Yao Beach, . Haad Yao See Through Resort is a new hotel on the beachfront at Haad Yao. The pool stretches the entire length of the hotel and guests can enter the water from their balconies. There are fire juggling shows at night on the sea front. 1,750 - 1,750 Baht.
- Baan Haad Yao Villas, Haad Yao Beach, . checkin: 12 pm; checkout: 11 am. There are some thirty large wooden villas with shared swimming pool set in landscaped gardens at Haad Yao beach. Introductory promotional rates for 2009 - 1,500 Baht per villa. 1,500 Baht.
- Sandy Bay Villas, Haad Yao Bay, . checkin: 12 Noon; checkout: 11 am. The resort offer beachfront villas at Haad Yao beach. There are one and two bedroom villas with ensuite bathrooms from 2000 - 6000 Baht a night.
- Sandy Bay Bungalows, Haad Yao Beach, . checkin: 12 Noon; checkout: 11 am. Sandy Bay Bungalows offer a wide range of accommodation on the beachfront and hillside. It occupies the southern 1/4 of the beach. With swimming pool, restaurant it offers an excellent choice with accommodation for all budgets. From 700 - 3,000 Baht per night..
- Benjamin's Hut, Haad Chao Phao Beach, ☎ Joke 089 529 3828. checkout: 11 am. Old 'Great Bay' resort with new owner; simple huts with hammocks; Dive center next door. From 200 Baht per night..
- Benjawan Bungalows, Haad Yao (Located on the hill just north of the beach, hidden behind Dream Hill and Bay View.). checkin: when you come; checkout: when you go. Simple, quite worn down, bungalows with fan and bathroom. Laid back feeling that makes it easy to forget about the development on the beach. Restaurant only open during high season. 200 Baht/night.
- Loy Fa, . checkout: 12:30PM. 600-4,000 bath.
- Seaboard bungalow, Haad Yao Beach, . checkin: 11AM; checkout: 12:30PM. 350-3,000.
- Shiralea Backpackers Resort, 58/18 Moo 8 Haad Yao, Koh Phangan Suratthani 84280 Thailand (Haad Yao just behind Bay View Hotel), ☎ +66 (0)80 719 9256, . Friendly food ... tasty people ... that's Shiralea ! Relaxed, natural setting in coconut gardens, just 2 minutes walk from the beautiful Haad Yao Beach. 21 stylish and authentic Thai-Style Bungalows, with Hotel-grade mattresses and western bathrooms Choice of Fan or Aircon, Hot or Cold Water Power Shower Bar & Restaurant, Free Wi-Fi Internet, Satellite TV & Movie Lounge with 40" LCD, Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Baby Pool, Sun Terrace, Thai Massage on site, Scuba Diving and Snorkelling with Reefers Diving also on site. Rooms from 500 baht - 1,500 baht per night.