Húsavík is a town of approximately 2500 inhabitants in North Iceland. It is the whale-watching capital of Iceland, with whales sighted on over 95% of trips during the summer. Additionally, it has gained some fame as the (in)famous home of the Icelandic Phallological Museum.
- Icelandic Phallological Museum, Hedinsbraut 3a, ☎ +354 566 8668, +354 868 7966 or +354 561 6663 ([email protected]), . This may be the only museum in the world that has phallic specimens for all the mammals in its country.
- Husavik Whale Center, ☎ +354 464 2522 or 2520, .
Apart from whale watching, horse riding is another good option for tourists passing through the town of Húsavík. Its a good opportunity to come across the rugged Icelandic breed and also get to do some sightseeing on horseback at the same time.
Saga Travel (+354 659 8888) offers variety off day day tours around North Iceland. Sightseeing, excursions and Super Jeep tours around Lake Mývatn area, to Askja Caldera, Waterfall Dettifoss, Lofthellir Lava Cave and Bird Watching. Private guiding and tailor made tours service also available.
- Gamli Baukur, (on the waterfront in an old wood building). They have an excellent selection of fish, soups, and salads. Downstairs is the small restaurant and upstairs a lively, little bar.
- Fosshótel Húsavík. Has a reasonably priced restaurant/pizzeria.
- Húsavík guesthouse (Gistiheimili Húsavíkur), Laugarbrekka 16, 640 Husavik (five minute walk to the harbour and one minute walk to the swimming pool), ☎ +354 848 7600, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. A friendly guesthouse, built in 1947 and renovated in 2009. Húsavík guesthouse is open from April 10th to September 10th. A great place to stay if you are going whale watching. Breakfast is served from 7:30 am til 10:00 am. Wireless Internet access in all rooms. Double/Twin room with breakfast from EUR 85.
- Kaldbaks-kot cottages, Kaldbakur (Just 2km south of Husavik town), ☎ +3544641504, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Located on the farmland of Kaldbakur, within the town of Husavik, only 1200 meters from the town center. Eighteen new cottages built of timber logs, 18-25 square meters in size, with all facilities (WC, shower, kitchen, TV, radio, refrigerator, kitchen utensils, toaster, stove, etc.). Big terrace. Beautiful view. Very private and convenient. from 90 EUR.
- Guesthouse Arbol, Asgardsvegi 2, 640 Husavik, Phone: +354 464 2220, Fax: +354 464 1463, . A small cozy guesthouse with 8 rooms and located near the waterfront. Prices vary from 5000 Kr. (single bed room) during off season to 6200Kr. (single bed room) during peak season and includes breakfast. Bathrooms are shared but very clean and towels are provided.
- Fosshótel Húsavík, Ketilsbraut 22, 640 Húsavík, Phone +354 464 1003, . A well-equipped hotel in the centre of town. Single and double rooms, as well as special "whale-themed" rooms. Restaurant/pizzeria and bar facilities. Internet access in the lobby. Close to the harbour and the various shops and service facilities in Húsavík.
The public library offers internet access on public terminals at reasonable rates, and a free internet connection for those traveling with laptops.