is a town located in the Lake Balaton
region of Hungary
The largest thermal lake in the world
According to an ancient legend, the Holy Virgin wrung a spring by the appealing prayer of a Christian nurse. The nurse wanted to heal an invalid child. The hot water of the lake breaking out from the depth and the steaming mud cured the weak child completely. The legend stems from the Roman age and the mentioned child was definitely the East Roman emperor Flavius Theodosius who declared Christianity to the official religion in his own empire in 391. That is the wrung spring that feeds the worldwide particular lake of Hévíz from that time.
There are regular arrivals to the Hévíz-Balaton Airport from european big cities, like Frankfurt and Berlin. The airport is located in Sármellék, about 15 km from the town. There are transfer oportunities and bus lines by schedule to get the town.
The town hasn't got an own train station. The nearest one is in Keszthely, what beside there is the bus station and buses are runing between the two town in every 15-30 minute.
Buses are runing from the most transdanubian towns to Hévíz, such as Zalaegerszeg, Szombathely, Sopron, Nagykanizsa, Győr, Veszprém, Pécs), and there are international bus lines too.
First of all on foot and by cycle. Although there is a local transport system names Dotto, which connencts the most visited places in the town.
- Lake Bath
- Dr. Schulhof Vilmos promenade
- Nature reserve
- Wineyard in Egregy
- Swim in the word famous biggest natural thermal lake in the world
- Rent a bike at the Tourinform office (Rákóczi street 2.)
- Try segway at the Tourinform office, and take a tour around the city
- Go to a canoe tour (beetween november and march) on the Hévíz stream
- Go to the Farmers' Market of Hévíz and get hommade bread, cakes, vegetables, fruits... etc. or pottery, craftsmans products.
- Go shopping on the Pedestrian street of the city
- Annabella Restaurant
- Kocsi Csárda (Inn)
- Gyöngyvirág Restaurant and Cafee
- Gizi néni's Csárdája (Inn)
- Korona Pension and Restaurant
- La Montanara Pizzeria and Restaurant
- Magyar Csárda Restaurant
- Papa's & Mama's Restaurant and Cafee
- Rosegarden Restaurant, Bistro & Eis-cream Shop
- St. Hubertus Porter House and Pension
- Vén Márkus Brasserie and Restaurant
- Liget Restaurant Pizzeria
- Hungária Restaurant
- Macchitao Caffe & Lunge
- Beer Heaven
- Vadász Wine bar
- Római Pince wine bar
- Öreg Harang wine bar
- Vilmos Pince - wine cellary
Visitors can choose from lot kind of accommodation oportunities. According to the different demands there are hotels, pensions, private accommodations and camping places.
Find accommodation here on the website of the town.
Major cities around
- Siófok - one city competing for the title "Capital of Balaton"
- Balatonfüred - the other city competing for the title "Capital of Balaton"
- Zalakaros - Famous thermal spa close to Nagykanizsa and to the Croatian board. Reach easy on the highway N.7.
- Keszthely- Festetics Castle, nice town.
- Tapolca - Nice small town, Cave Lake.
Other places of interest around