Gympie is a reasonably sized town (pop. 16,454) in Queensland.
As the heritage and cultural centre of the Cooloola Region, Gympie boasts a tradition that few areas in Queensland can offer. A city of 16,000 people, Gympie offers the warm hospitality of a country town with all the modern conveniences.
Known as the 'Town that Saved Queensland', Gympie’s proud heritage began in 1867 with the discovery of gold by prospector James Nash at the site now occupied by the Town Hall. At the time, Queensland was facing bankruptcy due to drought and the fall in wool prices. However, Nash made the five day journey down the Mary River from Maryborough and, after digging up 75 ounces of gold in six days, staked his claim. The Gympie Gold Rush was on, injecting the boost to the Queensland economy that enabled the colony to survive.
Road connection to Gympie is via the Bruce Highway; it is about 160km north of Brisbane.
Rail connect is via QR's North Coast railway line, which is served by daily Citytrain services to Brisbane and Traveltrain services for long distances.
Cars are the main way to get around.
The countryside is spectacular with an abundance of curves, gradients and bridges. Steep slopes portray a patchwork of pineapples, macadamia nuts and other crops. The Mary Valley features rolling green pastures and many beautiful forests. The valley includes the villages and towns of Dagun, Amamoor, Kandanga and Imbil.
Other attractions include:
- Gympie Pyramid - a terraced structure that some believe to be the work of an ancient civilisation (but more likely the work of early Italian or Swiss immigrants) - located on the outskirts of Gympie.
- The Big Pinapple - one of the famed Big things in Australia
- Mary Valley Railway
- The annual country music muster, which attracts thousands of fans and musicians.
- The Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival.
Mary St offers a post office and a wide array of bars, cafes, banks and stores. It has a quaint country town feel to it.
- Calton Cottages, 3 Hall Lane (600m from Post Office), ☎ 0434007958, . 4 neat self contained 2 bedroom cottages close to town centre edit
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|