Guizhou (贵州; Gùizhōu) is a province in southwestern China.
|Currency||Chinese Renminbi (¥) (CNY)|
|Electricity||220V/50Hz (US/European plug for 2-pin, Australian plug for 3-pin)|
|Time Zone||UTC +8|
- Anshun - tourist center and home of the Huangguoshu Waterfalls
- Chishui - town in the northwest Guizhou, rich in biodiversity, and gateway to several UNESCO heritage sites which belong to the group of "China Danxia" (natural red rock formations)
- Guiyang - the capital
- Kaili - gateway to the Miao and Dong minority regions
- Leishan - inhabited by Miou people
- Zunyi - Communist pilgrimage site
- Xingyi - golden state in southwest China and typical karst topogrphy such as Maling Valley, Ten thousand peaks forest, etc.
- Weining - home of Cao Hai Lake, known for its 170+ bird species including the Black-necked Crane
The local dialect of Guizhou is similar to that of Sichuan. Few can understand English. Standard Mandarin can be understood by most although in the countryside and smaller cities most people may only be able to reply in their local dialect. There are some unique terms in the various regional dialects in Guizhou although the most noticeable differences are in pronunciation which differs widely from standard Mandarin.
From Shanghai the journey takes around 2.5 hours by plane to Guiyang. Guiyang also has several international routes to south east asia. The airport was old and small but it has recently been upgraded. There are a few local shops in the airport with a Burger King ground side and national cuisine restaurants airside. There is free Wi Fi and telephone booths.
Local roads are in good condition and taxis are plentiful.
The area is mountainous, and there are many opportunities for hiking. The paths can be slippery due to animal excrement and the bushes can be thorny. There is much beautiful scenery including valley views and distant horizons. One of the greatest attractions to Guizhou is the Huangguoshu Waterfall, known to be the biggest waterfall in China.
There are many walks and places to visit in the vicinity of the city.
There is a wide variety of foods available, with the local taste being for spicy dishes. The food can be very tasty. The hot pot can be excellent.
While hiking on the glorious mountains watch out for the narrow ledges and always remember sunscreen and water while enjoying the countryside and the wildlife which is out there