| || |
*There is a bus sevice from the
capital city, [[Addis-Ababa]] and [[Bahir -dar]]. |+|
*There is a bus sevice from
, and Bahir
| || |
Gondar (also spelled Gonder) is a city in Ethiopia.
There is a mid-sized airport in Gondar. Ethiopian airlines has daily flights to the city - usually
leaving Addis around 0700. Flights are also available to/from Axum, Lalibela, and Bahir Dar.
- There is a bus sevice to/from Addis Ababa, a trip that takes two days. Minibuses are available that make the trip in one day. These are more expensive and are usually booked through your hotel.
- Several buses a day run to/from Bahir Dar. Minibuses also run on this route.
- To get to Axum, take the dawn bus to Shire and change there. You can usually get through in a day. To get from Axum, you must take an afternoon bus to Shire, spend the night there, and take the dawn bus to Gondar.
- It also takes two days to get to/from Lalibela by bus. Coming from Lalibela, you take one of the dawn buses to Gashena and change there to the Bahir Dar bus going west. You can either get off the bus at Nefas Mewcha and take the dawn bus to Gondar the next day, or you can ride it all the way to Bahir Dar and head north to Gondar the next morning. To travel to Lalibela, the bus to Gashena from Gondar usually stops for the night in Nefas Mewcha. There are two afternoon buses from Gashena to Lalibela.
- There are two buses a day to/from Debark for people heading to the Simien Mountains. These leave somewhere around 6am and 9am in both directions.
- The blue and white minibuses run through the city, effeciently. There are also some horse drawn
taxis , called garis. Both are inexpensive.
- You also can contract a small blue colored taxis, for a day, week or few days, during your visit.
- Gondar Castle a tiny version of Camelot. It costs a steep 50 Birr - price includes a guide but he will also expect a tip.
- Debre Birhan Selassie Church a short way out of town, is worth a visit to see its amazing
ceiling. It is priced at 25 Birr but a student reduction is possible.
- Roman Hotel, not too expensive and excellent value, try their tibbs wate. They serve meat even during lent.
A number of options are available. Prices start at 20 Birr for very basic rooms.
- Meat house is a bar, brothel, butcher, restaurant and hotel with a charming atmosphere for only 20 Birr a night.
- Roman Hotel, from Birr 60 (single self-contained), no water, excellent food, meat during lent
The walled city of Fasil Ghebbi near Gondar is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.