Goleta (go-lee-ta) is a city a few miles west of Santa Barbara and part of the contiguous urban area of Santa Barbara, within Santa Barbara County, California.
Car: Goleta is located just off Highway 101, north of Santa Barbara.
Train: There is a Amtrak Train stop in Goleta (unmanned) and a fully serviced station in downtown Santa Barbara.
Plane: Santa Barbara Municipal Airport is located in Goleta, off Highway 126.
Bus: Buses run frequently between Santa Barbara, Goleta, neighboring Isla Vista and the adjacent UCSB campus.
- University of California, Santa Barbara. UCSB is often listed as one of the top public universities in the United States. The campus is regarded as one of the more beautiful campuses among the UC system (perhaps due to its location). Head to the top floor of the campus library for one of the best views of the whole campus. Much of the campus, especially the areas near the beach, is undeveloped open space, and includes a man-made lagoon. From downtown Santa Barbara, take Highway 101 north to Highway 217, and go past the airport exit. Admission is free to the campus, but parking costs, and parking restrictions are heavily enforced.
Popular restaurants all within walking distance of UCSB:
- Silvergreen's (Salads, sandwiches, pasta)
- Freebird's (Mexican: Burritos, Nachos, Tacos, etc)
- Mr. Pickle's (Sandwich Shop)
- Java Jones (Coffee)
- Cantina (Mexican: Great Breakfast burritos)
- Woodstock's (Pizza)
- Sam's-To-Go! (Sandwich Shop: Know for beer pitchers and afternoon people watching)
- The Mercury Lounge, 5871 Hollister Ave., ☎ 805-967-0907, . 5PM onwards. Relaxed bar with lots of comfortable seating, both inside and on the covered rear patio. Billiards, popcorn, hip decorations, occasional live music and a good record collection.
- Hampton Inn Goleta, 5665 Hollister Ave, ☎ +1-805-681-9800 (fax: +1-805-681-9844), .
- Best Western South Coast Inn, 5620 Calle Real, ☎ +1 805 967-3200 (toll free: +1 800 350-3614, fax: +1 805 683-4466), .
- Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Goleta, 5897 Calle Real, ☎ +1 805 964-3596 (fax: +1 805 683-0647), .