Gili Trawangan (Terawangan), or simply Gili T, is the largest and most visited of the three Gili Islands off Lombok.
This is the largest of the three Gili Islands with an estimated permanent population of about 800.
Trawangan was the first of the three islands to attract visitors in any numbers, and it was backpackers who led the way. In the 1990s the island developed a reputation as a wild party destination with cheap accommodation, no police. Whilst that is still partially the case, Trawangan has matured into a destination that has a far wider appeal.
The thriving dive industry of the Gili Islands is centred here (although some operators have outposts on the other two islands), and since about 2005, the island has gone through a massive development boom, and a number of upscale sleeping, eating and drinking establishments have opened. Any visitor to Trawangan should be prepared for a real mish-mash of fellow travellers; some will be ensconced in US$400 per night, unashamedly Bali-style villas, while others would be quite happy to rest their crusty dreadlocks on an organic hemp pillow after a tough day on the mushies.
fishing boats lounging on Trawangan's beach, with Meno in the background
Most of the accommodation and other facilities on the island are on the eastern side, sheltered from the winds and rough seas of the Lombok Strait which sometimes batter the opposite side of the island. Boats dock here as well, on the beach just north of the market. This generally means a walk in the shallow water to disembark. There is also a private concrete and wood jetty used by a few companies.
A footpath circumnavigates the whole island and various tracks criss-cross, nearly always leading back to this coastal path. The area set back behind the east coast beachfront establishments is where most of the locals live (and where there is a lot of budget accommodation), and is known simply as "the village". There is a low lying hill in the southern centre of the island, which is easily reached from the tracks heading southwest from the back of the village.
The sea is calmest in the morning and all transport stops running in the late-afternoon, well before dark. During periods of southerly winds and in July and August especially, the swell can be a bit hairy and you are very likely to get wet on the crossing. It is advisable to place laptops, cameras and handphones in waterproof bags for the crossing. You will need to wade through shallow sea when disembarking, so wear either appropriate footwear, or none at all.
The long-winding explanation in later paragraphs is vague and sometimes incorrect as per Aug 2016. In reality, it's simpler:
- You can take the fast boat from Bali that stops by Senggigi on the way to Gili Trawangan. It stops at Senggigi port, which is located between Kila Hotel and Villa Santosa near the Senggigi peninsula. Because it's from Bali, this is only available for morning crossing to Gili Trawangan. Costs around Rp. 175,000 per person
- You can take private speed boat from Teluk Nara for Rp 350,000-500,000 per boat, which are open from morning til about 5 PM. Teluk Nara is equipped with jetty which used to be called Bounty jetty. If you are taken to a place without jetty and which looks like an empty and secluded private property, insist to be taken to the real Teluk Nara (you can find its location on Google Maps) because there's scrupolous speed boat operator in that secluded property that will make use of the fact that you are stranded in their property to extort a higher price for private speed boat crossing (if you are taken to that secluded property by big brand taxi, don't forget to complain to its headquarter in Jakarta). The real Teluk Nara is about 30 kilometers away from Sengigi
- You can go to public port Bangsal (run by Koperasi Karya Bahari/Maritime Works Co-operative), which is few kilometers further than Teluk Nara. Here, there are 2 options:
- Take fast boat for Rp 85,000 per person. The fast boat has fixed schedule every hour from morning until about 5 PM
- Take public boat which is much cheaper, around Rp 15,000 per person, but the boat is traditionally made and they'll only leave once the boat is full
The daily Perama  service will take you directly from Senggigi departing 8AM to Gili Trawangan in under two hours for a flat Rp 150,000, plus optional Rp 10,000 for pickup at your lodging in Senggigi. Other operators can swing similar deals for Rp 75,000 (as low as Rp 50,000 in some homestays), but these often involve going through Bangsal - to avoid this, make sure the private boat will be used (generally departing from Teluk Nare), not the public boat from Bangsal - in the latter case doing it yourself by catching a taxi to Bangsal will be cheaper even for 2 people.
Another option is to arrange a speedboat charter or pickup with your hotel, or a dive shop on Trawangan. These speedboat services run in and out of the lovely Teluk Nare bay in Lombok, south of Bangsal and thus avoiding the thoroughly unpleasant experience of combating the touts there. A speedboat charter normally takes up to three passengers, crosses in 20-30 min, and will cost about Rp 500,000. The easier way is using travel agent in Lombok like First Lombok Tour  and others, they will handle transportation to Gili Trawangan.
The drive north from Senggigi follows the coast and the road offers panoramic views and glimpses of roadside village life. It is not a lengthy trip and the road has recently been upgraded throughout almost the entire length to either Teluk Nare and Bangsal a little further to the north. It is a quite scenic trip and glimpses of the Gilis can be seen as the road rises over the headlands whilst travelling up the coastline.
The cheapest way to reach Gili Trawangan is on a Public boat which departs from Bangsal from 8AM-5PM (but rarely later than 4PM). The official price is Rp 15,000 since 1st August 2015. You would be asked to pay additional IDR5000 as a foreigner (wisatawan asing) and IDR2500 as terminal fees. Sometimes these depart only when there are enough people, normally a minimum of 15 is enough. If numbers are insufficient you might be in for a long wait. The official maximum is 30 people but sometimes the boat is overloaded by the time it is ready to depart. In one case, 72 passengers were noted on a trip. The experience of departing from Bangsal is rarely pleasant due to the very persistent touts who infest the place, just try to ignore them and do not listen to their generally fanciful tales that involve you paying them money to solve an imaginary transportation problem. They often provide a chorus of gloomy predictions regarding the alleged unavailability of services, then if successful they just place unknowing passengers upon the normal scheduled service or a private charter at an often seriously inflated prices.
Buy your tickets direct from the official Koperasi Angkutan Laut Karya Bahari office. In Bangsal this is located inside the main building just on the waterfront left near the door at the eastern corner. The Koperasi operate the Public Boat, the Shuttle boat, the Island Hopping boat and also offer (official) Charter boats.
The Public boat office on Trawangan is right on the beach north of the unused concrete jetty, near where you are dropped off. You may need to wait until 15-20 others show up, so it's best to be there early in the morning (7AM-8AM) if you want to get moving quickly. The last boat leaves Trawangan around 3PM.
Public boat (ferry)
- This is the standard method to reach Gili Trawangan and is used by both local residents and tourists. The maximum number of passengers is fixed at 30 persons but it is often overloaded with goods and or passengers. If it seems clearly unsafe due to either overloading or prevailing weather conditions then it is most likely best not to board it.
- Bangsal to Gili Trawangan 1 way is Rp 15,000
- Gili Trawangan to Bangsal 1 way is Rp 15,000
- This service supplements the Public boat (ferry) service and departs Gili Trawangan to Bangsal (on the main island of Lombok).
- Bangsal to Gili Trawangan departs at 5PM, the official price is Rp 28,000.
- Gili Trawangan to Bangsal departs at 8:15AM, the official price is Rp 28,000.
(This is more expensive than the standard Public boat cost officially fixed at Rp 12,500).
- The official charter boat service provided by Koperasi Angkutan laut Karya Bahari is permitted to carry a maximum of 12 persons.
- Bangsal to Gili Trawangan 1 way is Rp 185,000, return Rp 350,000
- Gili Trawangan to Bangsal 1 way is Rp 185,000, return Rp 350,000
- Informal and unofficial charters are also available from private operators to travel from Bangsal to Gili Trawangan. If requiring one try to deal only with the boat operator, ignore the touts and 'facilitators' and use your time over a negotiation, any hint of haste or urgency is sure to raise the price.
The situation arising from the activities of pestering touts combined with confusing and inadequate formal services at Bangsal is the source of many disappointments and complaints.
From Gili Air and Gili Meno
To move from one island to another the formal procedure is to take the Public boat (ferry) to Bangsal and then a further similar ferry to the required island departing from Bangsal. To return the reverse is required. This can be confusing and co-ordinating the timing with the connecting boat departing from Bangsal may be either difficult or elusive. There is also a limited official inter-island Island Hopping service provided.
Official tariffs and schedules
The tariff for all Koperasi Angkutan Laut Karya Bahari services was last set by decree of the Regency of West Lombok in May 2008. This koperasi now falls under the new jurisdiction of the Regency of North Lombok.
Departure and arrival times may vary due to operational conditions and other random factors such as loading times and delays arising from waiting for sufficient numbers of passengers prior to departure. Overloading may occur and caution should be exercised if considering boarding or travelling on an overloaded boat. If there are too many people requiring transport they may be left behind and a substitute service may or may not be available. Try to limit your dealings to official koperasi personel only and avoid entering into any discussions or negotiations with local touts and facilitators. Only a few of them will be of any assistance at all and most will endeavour to confuse the traveller so that they accept an inflated price for the provision of an existing service. Do not buy tickets from anyone other than an official ticket seller.
Official Koperasi services include:
- Public boat
- Shuttle boat
- Island Hopping boat
- Charter boat (Koperasi)
Ferry operators may sometimes enter into informal arrangements with passengers to journey inter-island. In this situation a passenger boards a boat that is meant to go directly to Bangsal from one of the three Gili islands but instead it detours and sets down on the beach at another island whilst en-route. The prices are a movable feast but people will normally pay a price of around Rp 35,000 (Sep2015). Inter-island access on the public boats in this manner is dependant upon timing, weather, loading, payment and the inclination of the crew to facilitate an inter-island journey and such arrangements are not officially sanctioned. The standard procedure is to travel to Bangsal and make a separate trip to the different island or to use the very limited official service. The price for a single journey Public Boat ferry journey from Gili Air to Bangsal is Rp 12,000. The price for a Public boat from Gili Meno is Rp 14,000. The price for the subsequent Public boat to Gili Trawangan from Bangsal is Rp 15,000, this assuming the required connection was made at Bangsal.
Island Hopping boat
- A limited formal Island hopping boat service is provided by Koperasi Angkutan Laut Karya Bahari, this is the same local koperasi (maritime transport co-operative) that provides the Public Boat ferry service.
Its schedule is as follows, as noted in April 2017 by a local traveler staying on Gili Trawangan:
Gili Air 8:30am - Gili Meno 8:45am - Gili T 9:00am
Gili T 9:30am - Gili Meno 9:45am - Gili Air 10am
Gili Air 3pm - Gili Meno 3:15pm - Gili T 3:30pm
Gili T 4pm - Gili Meno 4:15pm - Gili Air 4:30pm
Listed price should be 35,000 Rp. These departures may be affected by weather and quantity of passengers, so it is always advisable to arrive at the beach early and also to be prepared to wait for delayed departure.
- The official charter boat service provided by Koperasi Angkutan laut Karya Bahari is permitted to carry a maximum of 12 persons.
- Gili Trawangan to Gilli Meno 1 way is Rp 190,000, return Rp 350,000
- Gilli Meno to Gili Trawangan 1 way is Rp 195,000, return Rp 350,000
- Gilli Trawangan to Gili Air 1 way is Rp 195,000, return Rp 350,000
- Gilli Air to Gili Trawangan 1 way is Rp 195,000, return Rp 350,000
- Gili Trawangan to Senggigi 1 way is Rp 490,000, return Rp 690,000
Informal private charters are also available. Prices are subject to negotiation, take your time over the process. But if you don't have much times, you can contact Breeze Lombok to arrange your trip with their private boat.
Giliferries.com is one the best and most trusted online booking website for fast boats to Gili Trawangan and the other two Gili islands. They offer the best price-quality ratio and all tickets include free hotel pickup and drop (Bali only). They only work with the most trusted and reliable boat operators. Prices start from as low as $30 one way and $60 for return, depending on the season. Giliferries is the only site which offers live availability, instant confirmation and e-tickets directly in your email. Unlike most other booking sites, there is no difference in pricing between foreigners and domestic customers.
For more detailed information on fast boat companies, routes and travel advice see Gili islands main page.
All fast boat services are subject to weather conditions and the trip across the Lombok Strait can get quite bumpy especially in July and August. Most operators offer pickups and drop offs but all cover slightly different regions. Prices usually include land transport from/to your destination in Bali. Double-check with operators for seasonal discounts, schedules and current operational status.
Local prices quoted in a travel agency on the beach, including further transfer to Ubud/Sanur/Kuta (February 2013, low season): Rp 400,000 for a foreigner, Rp 300,000 for Indonesian (finally, the latter price was offered for a foreigner traveling together, so it looks like foreigners may also try and bargain). The quality (and safety) of the boats used may vary wildly, so make sure you know what you're purchasing before booking.
If you have legitimate concerns about either the vessel, the operator or the prevailing weather conditions do not board the boat, immediately seek a refund of your fare and make alternative arrangements for your trip. Consider your options and choice of provider very carefully. During rough weather flights across the Lombok Strait may provide a more comfortable and safer journey.
Bicycles are available for rent and the main tracks are good enough for riding. Expect to pay about Rp 60,000 per day, and for two hours about Rp 25,000. A ride around the island is less than an hour, but you need to walk your bike at a few points due to the sandy nature of the track. A bike is also great for exploring the inland areas, where you can see a lot of cows, goats and chicken as well as local homes.
Unsurprisingly though on a tiny island, walking is the preferred and most appropriate way of getting around.
If you have heavy bags and are staying well away from the departure area, you will need a cidomo (horse cart) to get to and from the boat. A short trip should cost about Rp 50,000.
See and Do
Gili Trawangan is the centre of a thriving dive industry for the Gili Islands. All of the operators have their main dive shops located here. There are about a dozen active dive sites, and all of the shops run a regularly rotating program of daily fun dives to one of more of these.
Fun dives, muckdiving, technical diving and wreck dives are a staple and Gili Trawangan is well known as a world class teaching centre. The operators are very professional, the warm waters offering a wide range of easy to challenging dive sites (including some with fairly strong currents), and the visibility usually good. Gili T makes for an ideal teaching environment, whether you are a first timer, or a diver looking to extend your qualifications.
Freedive Gili is located close to the harbour on Gili Trawangan, and offers freedive and apnea (breath holding) courses for beginners to advanced. It is the only freedive centre in the region and is owned and operated by British freedive record holder Mike Board.
Gili Yoga center shares an office with Freedive Gili and boasts its very own Yoga pavillion. Daily Yoga classes are given in the warm open air, surrounded by a tropical garden and the sounds of nature. Gili yoga offer services including: Daily meditation and pranayama, twice daily yoga practice, luxury accommodation, group activities (snorkeling, sunset boat ride) and gourmet vegetarian food.
The Yoga Place Gili offers Yoga and Meditation all day for all levels in a peaceful surrounding. Daily Stand Up Paddle Yoga at 8.30 am and Sunset Beach Yoga at 4.30 pm.
After a yoga class you can enjoy a big fresh juice or a health vegetarian dinner on the terrace with sea view.
See Through/ Clear Bottom Kayaks & Canoes new to Gili Trawangan, You can hire/rent a kayak/canoe and explore the seas. They are made of strong clear plastic. Available on the beach outside Horizontal bar.
(Named in alphabetical order)
- Aquaddiction Dive, (50 m from the harbour), ☎ +62 (0) 81 339 798 555 ([email protected]), . SSI diving courses up to instructor level. Behind the dive centre there are 5 newly renovated bungalows and the new Aqua hostel. Aquaddiction specialise in teaching small groups of people Scuba Diving. Professional training is available and many new Divemasters have begun their career through the Aquaddiction Divemaster Trainee (DMT) program. They also offer courses for more advanced divers in Deep diving (40 meters), Nitrox and Sidemount. (-8.352034,116.044107) edit
- Bee Diver, ☎ +62 370 633686 ([email protected]), . The latest and new PADI dive center in Gili Trawangan. Specialized in accommodating small groups of divers and underwater photographers. It has the largest and deepest pool in Gili Trawangan, to provide better diving simulation before students take the open water dives. It is attached to the largest and the most luxurious resort in Gili Trawangan, Queen Villa & spa. edit
- Big Bubble Diving, ☎ +62 370 625020 ([email protected]), . This operation has quickly built a stellar reputation for professionalism and being extremely friendly. British owned and run with native English and French speakers as instructors. Large purpose built dive pool and good quality bungalows behind the diveshop. A full range of PADI and SSI courses plus daily fun dives offered. edit
- Blue Marlin Dive, ☎ +62 370 6132424 ([email protected], fax: +62 370 6142286), . The original dive shop on Gili Trawangan. PADI, TDI and IART licensed with professional instructors and well maintained gear. Has its own large pool and a fully equipped dive shop for sales and rental. A full technical dive centre with Closed-Circuit Rebreather (CCR) training and Trimix and Nitrox capabilities. Lead technical instructor is current world record holder Will Goodman Behind the centre there are eight bungalows and three newly renovated rooms. In front there is an open air cafe which is often busy. On Monday nights Blue Marlin hosts a party up on the second level above the dive shop. edit
- Dream Divers, ☎ +62 370 634496, . As it is German owned and run, this is the preferred choice of most German visitors to the island. A PADI centre with the same courses and services as all the others. edit
- DSM Lombok, Gili Trawangan and Puri Bunga Cottages Senggigi, Hotel and DSM Dive Centre, Jl. Raya Senggigi, ☎ +62 821 47440530, +62 878 64333383 ([email protected]), . PADI Dive centre at Senggigi and on Gili Trawangan, French-owned. edit
- Gili Breizh Divers, ☎ +62 370 6138531 ([email protected]), . A PADI 5 star dive center located in Hotel Vila Ombak. Fun dives and all PADI courses. edit
- Gili Divers, Gili Trawangan, ☎ +62 370 6194888, +62 821 47890017 ([email protected]), . English/Swedish management with an experienced and professional team of multi lingual instructors and divemasters. PADI and SSI courses from Open Water up to professional levels. New dive equipment. Gili Hotel, Gili Backpackers and Gili Viking bar and restaurant are associated with this divecenter. Also arrange snorkel and dive liveaboard trips to the Komodo Islands. edit
- Lutwala Dive, Halik Beach, ☎ +62 (0)81805440818 ([email protected]), . A PADI 5 star dive center idealy located on the picturesque northern shores of Gili Trawangan. A perfect location for those wanting a unique blend of tranquility and easy acces to the vibrant nightlife that the island has to offer. Lutwala offer high standards of professionalism and small dive groups, as well as dive trainning up to instructor level and tech TDI courses. edit
- Manta Dive, ☎ +62 370 6143649 ([email protected]), . One of the longest established dive operators with international staff. The only 5-star SSI Diamond Instructor Training Facility in the region. All PADI and SSI courses are provided in main European languages, including introduction dives and Scuba Ranger courses for children. Daily dive trips around all 3 Gili Islands and frequent muck-dive trips to neighbouring Lombok. The dive school has direct access to the beach and boat. 8 traditional and 3 modern bungalows, café serving breakfast and lunch, free WiFi and freshwater swimming pool. A new rustic beach bar also serving sandwiches, salads and breakfasts opened in August 2012 Manta Dive also have a shop on Gili Air edit
- Trawangan Dive, Gili Trawangan, ☎ +62 370 6149220, . New gear, good boats and a saltwater pool for training. They also have half a dozen well appointed bungalows (US$55/60 single/double) with A/C, flat-panel TV/DVD and hot and cold showers. edit
The easiest spot to find some productive snorkelling is off the main beach, north of the boat landing. Enter the water approximately in front of the Almarik hotel. If you start north of the beach (about where you can see seaweeds growing at low tide roughly level with Gili Meno's northern extent), and go with the current back towards to the most crowded sunbathing area, you will likely need to kick only when you want to stop to look at something. The healthy corals are around the area where the wall drops off and the deeper water begins. Nearer the shore you will find only dead coral. Turtles can be seen often, and also the occasional trigger fish amongst the more common reef inhabitants. At low tide it is difficult to get in without reef shoes. Always watch out for potential waves that can push you into the coral that are just below water level.
A better coral reef is off the northwest coast, but you have to be very keen to go through the hardship of getting out there. The only access to the reef involves walking over a substantial area of dead, sharp coral, and back again when you have finished. If you are a keen snorkeller the effort is worth it, and you are very likely to have the waters to yourself.
Small, purple jellyfish are sometimes plentiful around the island, and they seem to love stinging snorkellers. The reaction is one of considerable irritation, but the stings cause no serious harm.
Alternatively, you can take a snorkeling boat tour. Most trips take 4-5 hours with a lunch stop in Gili Air. The costs start at IDR100,000 and come with water, mask, snorkel and fins. Package trip including lunch is IDR120,000. Vest will cost additional IDR20,000.
- Subwing Gili, ☎ +62 81803621154 ([email protected]), . Trips start every day at 9:30 AM. A new water toy which allows you to swim like a dolphin or to fly underwater along the reef. Currently the Gili Islands are the only place in Indonesia where you can do it IDR 350,000 per person. edit
- Snorkeling 3 Gili, Gili Trawangan Bali Indonesia ☎ +628544448095/+6285333399175 (Snorkeling Gili Trawangan). The three small Gili Islands, fringed by white-sand beaches and coral reefs, are among the most popular tourist destinations in Indonesia, and certainly one of the best snorkeling area in Southeast Asia. Reservation can be made via phone or email [email protected]
There are a few companies based on Gili Trawangan that offer boat trips to the surrounding islands of Lombok, Sumbawa and to Komodo.
Blue Water Cruises are based just north of the harbour and run trips around the 3 Gilis, to Lombok and Komodo.
South Sea Nomads South Sea Nomads, is now an online boat charter booking company. South Sea Nomads can arrange all kinds of boat trips, ranging from private half day, full day and sunset charters for up to 30 people, trips to Sekotong and Desert Point for island hopping and surfing Lomboks most famous break Desert Point. A range of diving liveaboards can also be booked through them including a liveaboard that runs from the Gilis to Komodo and back, Komodo and Raja Ampat liveaboards (www.southseanomads.com)
Perama are based near the art market on the main beach road. They offer trips all around Indonesia as well as trips from Bali to the Gilis and Komodo.
Gili Trawangan has a fast right hander which can really pump with the right conditions. The best waves are at high tide, and the underlying reef can be sharp so booties can come in handy. The surf break is off the south coast - just follow the locals who will be out and jogging with their boards whenever the surf is decent. You will find no shortage of locals eady, willing and able to rent you board. There are a few breaks off Gili Air and Gili Meno, but they are more difficult to reach and smaller. The best season is the January-June wet season, with swells from 1-2 m. Daily conditions can be checked out at Magic Seaweed .
There are some lovely walks to be had on the island, although the perimeter coastal track is perhaps not as scenic as those on Gili Meno and Gili Air. A leisurely stroll all the way around will take 90-120 minutes, depending on just how leisurely you are.
The hill in the south can be easily reached by taking one of the tracks that lead west or southwest from the back of the village. Dawn and dusk are the best times to climb up here. The sunset views back towards Bali are quite lovely, and in the mornings the sun rises over majestic Mount Rinjani on Lombok. On the top of the hill lie the remains of a World War II Japanese gun bunker.
Head to the west side of the island you are staying on, find a spot in the sand or a chair in a beach bar and watch the sun paint the sky orange as the sun sets behinds Bali’s Mount Agung.
On Gili Trawangan there are two popular sunset bars about half and hours walk or 10 minutes in bike from the pier (head south along the coast road), where people gather for a drink before the sunsets. Recommended place where to based yourself to spend your time to see the sun going down.
If you like it more quiet and lonely, you just need to drive or walk along the beach a little further and you surely you will find one or another deserted stretch of beach.
Horse Back Riding
- Stud Horse Riding Adventure, ☎ 087 861 791565. A small stable of horses available for riding around the island. Book more than a day ahead for a sunset ride. edit
There are over a dozen ATMs on the island, with most located on the Eastern side on the island close to the jetty. Most ATMs are run by Indonesian banks, but there are also two Australian Commonwealth Bank ATMs. The majority of ATMs provide Rp 50,000 notes and have a maximul withdrawal up to Rp 1,500,000; those dispensing Rp 100,000 notes (you will see a sticker on the machine) often have limit of Rp 2,000,000 or even Rp 3,000,000 (CIMB Niaga on the main beachwalk, note - only one of the terminals there dispenses 100,000's). Commonwealth Bank ATMs are also known for their large limits (3-4 million), however they now charge an additional Rp 20,000 fee from most foreign cards (you'll see a notification with an option to cancel the transaction), notably excluding Visa Europe.
The exchange rates offered on the island are generally poorer than on Bali or Lombok, but not that much (in the tourists areas of Bali you may easily get even lower rate if not choosing the exchange point wisely). Do not believe the touts at Bangsal that there are no ATMs or money changers. They will try to convince you to change money with them and charge you up to 10% commission for it.
The Art Market (Pasar Seni) next to the pier has a few scruffy stalls hawking souvenirs, but it's all brought in from elsewhere, and the selection is far more limited than what you'd find on Bali or even Lombok.
Trawangan has a huge range of eating options from simple local warungs up to fairly grand places serving inventive modern cuisine. Many of these are attached to hotels or dive shops, and are not independent restaurants as such.
Budget places are thinner on the ground that they used to be, but still not hard to find. If you really want to watch the pennies, do as the locals do and eat in the local warungs inside the village, or at the night food market near the beachwalk south of the jetty. These serve the usual range of Indonesian staples: fried rice, fried noodles and bakso (meatball soup); on the night market, you will also find seafood (marked up for tourists' wallets, though), pancakes, snacks, desserts, and even beer. The push carts and few "warungs" on the main beachwalk are overpriced as much as twice compared to Bali or Indonesian cities (for example, selling sate ayam on the street for Rp 20,000 or nasi padang for Rp 22,000).
Barbecued fish is excellent here and every evening many of the better restaurants fire up the charcoal. The deal is that you chose your fish - red and white snapper and trevally are especially good - and it is grilled on the spot.
- La Creperie, Jalan Cumi Cumi (next to the night food market and the bintang bottle shop). 9am-1am. Traditional French crepes and galettes for take-away. Various toppings to choose from: Nutella, home-made dulce de leche and chocolate, strawberries, ham, bacon etc. All fresh ingredients and very clean place. 20.000-50.000rp. edit
- Hot Dogs Gili, Jalan Cumi Cumi (next to the night food market and the bintang bottle shop). 11am-3am. Take-away hot dog joint open after parties, sells hot dogs with great toppings such as home-made chili con carne and the typical south american Italiano. 25.000-50.000rp. edit
- Kantin Mbah Mek, (between Ombak Sunset and Aston Sunset), ☎ 087864940654. 9.00-21.00. 200m from western beach. While almost all traditional budget eating places are on the eastern part, this is the place to refuel while you are far from the center. Here your IDR 20,000 is worth a taste. (-8.3489,116.0302) edit
- Ocean Dua, (between Soma Soma reggae bar and Manta dive on the main road). 8AM-10PM. A popular budget restaurant that gets pretty packed in the evenings. Usually there is are daily promotions listed on a blackboard outside, which are usually a great value option. Includes free salad bar with your main meal. edit
- Warung Kikinovi, (The Art Market). 8AM-10PM. A decent budget place to eat serving the usual Indonesian staples for about Rp 20,000. edit
- The Yoga Place Garden Restaurant, ☎ 081238942697 ([email protected]), . 7AM-10PM. Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant. Serves big fresh juices, no extra sugars added. Smoothie bowl, colorful salads, big veggie burger and vegan bean chili are just some examples of the healthy food they serve. Big portions! Open daily from 7 am till 10 pm. Price for dinner 45.000 - 59.000 IDR (-8,354868,116,03984) edit
- Many restaurants serving grilled seafood along with sides for between 60.000-100.000. It's best to walk the road and choose from the fresh fish on display outside the restaurants.
- Karma Kayak, ☎ +62 818 05593710. 11AM-10PM. Tapas is the go here and it is nicely prepared. A very nice location with beachside berugas. Tapas plates Rp 40,000-50,000. edit
- Gili Viking, Gili Trawangan (on top and in front of Gili Divers), ☎ +62 370 6194888. 07AM-11PM. Swedish meatballs, pasta with a pesto sauce. Nice location with a fantastic view toward Mount Rinjani. You can chill on a bean bag on the beach or go upstairs. Free WiFi. If you stay in Gili Hotel, Gili Viking will serve you a nice breakfast in the morning. Rp 15.000-60.000. edit
- Tir na nóg, Gili, ☎ +62, . Wide range of good local and international cuisine. Locally sourced produce and well trained staff. edit
- Manta Café, Gili (In front of Manta dive), . Great breakfasts and a selection of delicious baguettes filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, seasonings, salads and sauces. edit
- Gili Sushi Company, ([email protected]). New wholesale sushi supplier who offers bulk pre-made sushi to all the restaurants. Tapas plates Rp 20,000-50,000. edit
- Sands Bar, ([email protected]). Great breakfasts and a selection of delicious baguettes filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, seasonings, salads and sauces. Wide range of good local and international cuisine. Locally sourced produce and well trained staff Tapas plates Rp 20,000-50,000. edit
- Beach House, (south coast), ☎ +62 370 642352, . 8AM-11PM. It is definitely not as good as it used to be, but still one of the better eateries on the island. Seafood buffet is excellent, if not exactly cheap. Also has a range of accommodation from tree houses up to a four bedroom luxury villa. Around Rp 100,000 per head for dinner. edit
- Ko Ko Mo, ☎ +62 370 6134920, . Fine wine and cuisine in the chique restaurant or in the open air on the beach. Fresh local seafood and imported prime Australian meats. Great imported wine list and live music. edit
There are regular party nights on Gili Trawangan - the various bars take it in turn to host the late night gig (up to 4AM), to ensure that everyone gets together in one place rather than being spread around. The island is small and it is easy to find everything; just ask around for where the party is going to be on any given night.
Be very careful with locally produced spirits, especially arak. It can contain methanol and has caused many cases of serious injury and even death (as recent as new year 2012/13) among tourists and locals alike. If you suspect that what you've been served is not what you ordered, take it back. Sticking to western owned and managed bars will reduce the risk.
- Tir na nóg, ☎ +62 370 6139463, . The only Irish bar on the islands, and also the busiest. Great atmosphere, big screen sports and the location of the famed original Manta Dive 'snorkel test' - Always a fun activity for both participants and onlookers. edit
- Chappie's bar, (At Manta Dive), ☎ +62 812-3788-9378. One of the newest beach bars on the island, operated outside of Manta Dive. Serving cool beers and cocktails in an intimate beachside setting. edit
- Horizontal, (north of the boat landing), ☎ +62 370 639248, . Probably the only place in the Gilis that wouldn't look out of place in Seminyak, this stylish outdoor bar offers fancy drinks, funky furniture and DJs spinning the night away. Also has rooms for rent. edit
- Sama Sama, Gili Trawangan (north from the boat landing). 8AM-late. Live reggae music every night. Despite feeling like it is stuck in a timewarp, this place really pumps and is a lot of fun. Warning: it has also had nationals from other countries die from methanol poisoning after drinking here. Johan Lundin, 28 years, Sweden – Gili Trawangan at Sama Sama bar 2012 and he died. edit
- Gili Viking. 07.00-23.00. Gili Viking bar and restaurant is located on the beach infront of Gili Divers. Gili Viking serve good scandinavian inspired food and has got the best happy hour's between 16.00 and 22.00 Welcome to Gili Viking! edit
- Pandawa Beach Club (Pandawa Beach Club), Jalan Pantai (Gili Trawangan), ☎ +3706197555, . Pandawa Beach Club : features a unique layout. A great mix of beach clubs with tropical style vibes to this tropical island. The most happening Bali beach clubs. Thi is a chic hangout on Gili Trawangan features a magnificent sunset view. (-8.345949,116.028518) edit
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
Power is normally available 24 hours a day and many of the hotels now have A/C. However there may be frequent disruptions to the supply. This problem arises from regional power generation insufficiencies. To address this issue many mid-range and upmarket hotels and restaurants on the Gili islands have their own back up generators. Be aware that the closer you sleep to the mosque, the more likely you will be disturbed by loud night time prayer calls.
You will find most budget options behind the east coast frontage in the village, or by walking north from the boat landing.
Travellers who remember Gili Trawangan from the 1980s and 1990s may be surprised to learn that there are now more than 100 official places to stay on the island, and still more are being built.
- Gili Nyepi, Jl Bintang Laut (its only a short walk to Gili Nyepi: From the harbour your entrypoint in Gili Trawangan (with the ocean in your back) go left and walk to the jetty and nightmarket, go right at the corner at Little italy and the Gelato icecreamplace , then keep on going straight and you will see Gili Nyepi on the left side.), ☎ +6285337491996, . checkin: 12; checkout: 11. Gili Nyepi is a small family-run resort (Indonesian& Dutch) with 4 private bungalows set in a tranquil lush tropical garden. The bungalows at Gili Nyepi have air conditioning and fan, tropical garden views, nice big bathrooms, private terraces, a daily housekeeping service, laundry service on request ,wifi connection and included breakfast. Gili Nyepi is situated a 5 minute walk from nice beaches and restaurants . Gili Nyepi also has a yogastudio ~TheYogaHouse~ with meditation and yoga classes on request . Rooms From 400.000 rps. (-8.353741213845508,116.04115962982178) edit
- Coconut Garden Resort, Gili Trawangan (inland to the north), ☎ +6281237826482, . checkin: 12:00 am; checkout: 10:00 am. Nestled in acres of coconut grove near the centre of Gili Trawangan, Coconut Garden Resort is an ideal hideaway for those looking for a more tranquil and private place to stay. Only 4 beautiful bungalows with double bed, A/C and hot & cold fresh water. Breakfast is included. Free bikes are provided. Free coffee, tea and drinking water all day. Rooms From Rp 400.000. edit
- Gili Castle, (north-east coast), ☎ +6281239654663, . Located only 3 min walk form the best swimming and snorkelling beach on Gili Trawangan. Air-con in all dorm and private rooms. Breakfast included. They have a 6 meter climbing wall over a 3 meter deep swimming pool. Small restaurant serving all day English breakfast and pub grubs. Bar with good prices. Pre-party games such as beer pong etc. Regular planned parties, competitions and excursions by the western managers. From Rp 130,000. edit
- Gili Mansion, (north-east coast), ☎ +6285238363836, . Located only 3 min walk form the best swimming and snorkelling beach on Gili Trawangan. Air-con in all dorm and private rooms. Breakfast included. They have a 3 meter jump over a 3 meter deep swimming pool. Pre-party games such as beer pong etc. Regular planned parties, competitions and excursions by the western managers. From Rp 150,000. edit
- Gili Hostel, (north-east coast), ☎ +62 877 6526 7037, . Located on the main beach street on Gili Trawangan. This is the first Backpacker/Hostel on Gili trawangan and certainly the most unique. Air con, hot shower and breakfast included. Nice rooftop bar and new poolbar serving cold and cheap drinks. www.gilihostel.com From Rp 240,000. edit
- Gili Hideaway, (in the village), ☎ +62 812 3744578, . A-frame thatched bungalows. A bit off the path so the only noise you hear is the mosque and the chickens. All the rooms are fan-cooled and breakfast is included in the price. From US$20-65++ high season rates apply 1 July–15 Sept and 15 Dec–10 Jan. edit
- Gili T and B Homestay, (in the village), ☎ (+62) 081907392329, . checkin: 11.00; checkout: 10.30. Large clean rooms with king size beds and all the commodities of western living can be found at this homestay. Including A/C, fresh water, power showers and a big varied breakfast. from Rp 300,000. edit
- Marta's Bungalows, (in the village), ☎ +628123722777 ([email protected]), . Owned by Marta and his English wife Joanna. Traditional design, very clean and comfortable with AC and fresh water. They have 1 and 2 bedroom bungalows with a pool. From about Rp 600,000 including breakfast. edit
- Mbah Mek Trawangan Homestay (Mbah Mek), Ikan Krapu st. (600m inland from the Pier), ☎ +62878 6494 0654. checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. Simple yet well equipped Bed n Breakfast, targeted budget travelers. AC, Breakfast, Queen size bed, Hot shower, Satellite TV Channels 350000. (-8.351863°,116.039963°) edit
- La Cocoteraie Ecolodge, (north coast), ☎ +62 81907976985 ([email protected]), . The first glamping in Gili. La Cocoteraie is a Natural Luxury Tented Resort located in Gili Trawangan which offers a chance for nature lovers to enjoy a return to their roots, but with a luxury and comfort of a chic hotel. Rooms have A/C and fan, hot freshwater, free bikes, free snorkelling equipment, headlights, beach towels, restaurant and bar, swimming pool, safe. From Rp 800,000. edit
- Eden Cottages, (north coast), ☎ +62 819 17996151 ([email protected]), . Opened in 2010, simple modern little bungalow resort on the north side, behind and to the right of Lutwala Dive. Smallish pool and a kiddie pool. Rooms have A/C, cold freshwater, TV and DVD player, safe. From Rp 350,000. edit
- Gili Divers Hotel, Beach, ☎ +62 370 6194888 ([email protected]), . 13 standard rooms and 1 family room. All with private toilet and fresh hot water shower, A/C, fan, flat screen TVs with DVD player, DVD selection, super comfortable beds safe and WiFi. Breakfast is included and will be served in the on top of Gili Divers or on the beach at Gili Viking bar and restaurant. Rp 400,000-600,000. edit
- Manta Bungalows, (located at Manta Dive), ([email protected]), . The first of this type of accommodation on the island, based on traditional rice barns with high roofs and generous balconies. $60++. edit
- Oceano Jambuluwuk Resort, Beach, ☎ +62 361 8361717 ([email protected]), . 20 standard rooms and 6 family room. All with private toilet and fresh hot water shower, A/C, flat screen TVs with DVD player, DVD selection, super comfortable beds safe and WiFi. Breakfast is included and will be served on the beach bar and restaurant. Rp 850,000- 1000,000. edit
- Scallywags Resort, (south coast), ☎ +62 370 645301 ([email protected]), . Well-appointed rooms with either private gardens and outdoor shower or ocean-facing, flat screen TVs with satellite service, mini bar, and good wifi in all rooms. As reported by a traveler in April 2017, excellent service and very good buffet breakfast. Also has one of the better restaurants on the island. From US$80. (8° 20' 60S,116° 1' 60 E) edit
- Tir Na nOg Bungalows and Restaurant (The Irish Bar-Ryoshi Sushi Restaurant), (south east coast), ☎ +62 370 613 9463 ([email protected]), . checkin: after midday; checkout: before 10AM. 10 standard rooms, 10 deluxe rooms and 1 family villa. All rooms come with private toilets, fresh water, A/C and WiFi access. Breakfast included. The complex includes the Irish Bar. Party night is every Wed from 10PM-4AM. 2 on site restaurants: Ryoshi Sushi Restaurant and the Tir Na nOg. Rp 450,000-900,000. edit
- Gili Amor Boutique Resort, Jl. Ikan Hiu No. 2, Dusun Gili Trawangan, Kabupaten Lombok Utara, Nusa Tenggara Bar. 83352, ☎ +62 0370 6194821 ([email protected]), . Spacious layout, air-conditioned, flat-screen satellite TV, refrigerated minibar and a seating area, private terrace or balcony facing the pool. En suite bathrooms each come with a shower, hairdryer and a set of free toiletries From $65. edit
- Jali Resort, Jalan Nautilus Gili Trawangan, ☎ +62 81 7000 5254 ([email protected]), . 5 minutes walk from the beach. free WiFi, outdoor pool and room with pool view, bike hire From $80. edit
- Cha-Cha Homestay, gili trawangan, ☎ 081909070760 ([email protected]). checkin: 10:00; checkout: 10:00. You can choose betwen double or twin bed and all rooms are with AC, TV/DVD, wardrobe, and we use fresh water shower. just 1 minute walking from harbour you'll find Cha-Cha Homestay with friendly staff, clean, helpfull and nice place to stay for good price(the price are including breakfast , tax, and service) $12 / each person. edit
- Gili Sands Beach Club, (south coast), ☎ +62 87855221868 ([email protected]), . With vibrant of lounge bar with acoustic music. With a perfect location in the center of the Gili Trawangan, it offers you a selection of modern room style. The hotel comprises 55 rooms features of Standard Room, Lumbung Room, Seaview Room and Two Bed Room Private Pool Villas. Staying in Gili Sands Beach Club, guest can enjoy the white sand beach with the beautiful scenery, the sounds of sea waves and sea breeze while you can enjoy some entertainment life around from live DJ, acoustic and our weekly FreeDay Party and monthly Full Moon Party. We are a retreat for leisure travelers, we are the most prominent hotspots, considered the trendsetter for upscale nightlife and beach dining venues in Gili Trawangan, Lombok, Indonesia. From US$30. (8° 20' 60S,116° 1' 60 E) edit
Balinese-style luxury villas have started to pop up on Gili Trawangan. They have not yet quite got standards of service right, so although you will be paying up serious dollars to stay at some of these places, be aware that the service might disappoint a little. High end private accommodation is still a relatively new thing on Trawangan, so it is only to be expected that it will take some time to get things right.
- Gili Villas, (just behind the art market), ☎ +62 81 23 755 721 ([email protected]), . An exclusive resort of 4 luxury villas, each with private pool, combining privacy with the services of a hotel. Less than 100m away from the beach. edit
- Gili Teak, (west coast), ☎ +62 (0)823 4018 4385 ([email protected]), . Brand new Gili Teak Resort features 8 luxury Teak wood cottages set amidst tropical gardens, an exclusive restaurant, vibrant beach bar and a bespoke freshwater pool, all overlooking a white sand beach that boasts spectacular sunset views toward Mt. Agung (Bali) on the horizon. $110 special opening rate. edit
- Kelapa Villas, (inland to the north), ☎ +62 812 3756003 ([email protected]), . Probably the nicest luxury villas on the islands. One, two, three, four, and five bedroom villas available, all with their own private pool and tropical garden. US$195-620. edit
- Ko-Ko-Mo Resort, (east coast, close to main strip), ☎ +62 (0)370 6134 920 ([email protected]), . Set on the quiet fringe of the buzz of the main strip of Gili Trawangan, ko-ko-mo is surrounded by abundant coconut groves and white sandy stretches of private beachfront. Boasting luxury villas of various sizes and an on-site 5-star restaurant. $200 - $600. edit
- Queen Villa & Spa, (West side of the island), ☎ +62 370 633686, . It is the newest luxury resort in Gili Trawangan. Providing their guest with privacy and it is the only resort which supply unlimited of fresh water in their guests rooms. It has several villas with private pool on their complex as well. edit
- Villa Ombak, (east coast), ☎ +62 370 642336 ([email protected]), . The first international standard hotel on Gili Trawangan. Features the traditional building style of Lombok. Has a fully fledged dive school attached. From US$150. edit
- Villa Julius, (On the west north of the island), ☎ +62 81916034549 ([email protected]), . A boutique resort hotel with luxurious room some with seaview some with garden and pool view. Setting in front of the beach, the resort offer you the magnificent view of sunset the combination of greeneary and fresh breeze. During the stay, you can enjoy the island sightseeing by bikes or ponny cart, snorkling edit
- Pandawa Beach Villas and Resort, (On the west north of the island), ☎ +6287855221868 ([email protected]), . A heritage concept resort of boutique resort hotel with fully wood designed combining Javanese tradition, gives you nothing but comfortable and rejuvenate feeling after holiday activities on beautiful Gili Trawangan. edit
- Hotel Ombak Sunset, (west coast), ☎ +62 370 644333 ([email protected]), . The sister hotel of Vila Ombak located in west coast and most famous as Sunset Point. Ombak Sunset featuring Gili Trawangan iconic landmark: Datu Swing. With 152 rooms, Hotel Ombak Sunset is the one and only biggest hotel resort style in Gili Trawangan. . From US$150. edit
- Desa Dunia Beda, (north west coast), ☎ +62 370 6141575 ([email protected]), . Beachfront resort with 12 wooden Javanese Joglo-style bungalows arranged around a large communal pool. Fitted with a private terrace, each room has a fan, air conditioning, safety deposit box, and a minibar. The private open-air bathroom has fresh cold water shower facilities. Guests can enjoy the quiet beach, or try water sports activities like snorkelling, scuba diving, and cycling. The resort also has a mini library. Laundry services and boat transfers are provided. The restaurant serves Indonesian, Italian, and French dishes as well as barbecued seafood dishes. Located just about as far away from the action as you can get and still be on Gili Trawangan. A great choice for those seeking some solitude. From US$120. (-8.339988,116.032955) edit
See Main Gili Islands article for more information.
There is a small clinic adjacent to Vila Ombak. They are quite used to treating travellers with minor ailments, including some stomach problems, but any visitor with a serious medical issue should make thier way to to Mataram hospital on Lombok.
There are several internet cafes on Trawangan for feeding your Internet addiction, although connection speeds can often be slow. Printing is possible in a few internet cafés and you can even hook up your laptop in some. Lightening Fast, just north of the jetty, costs Rp 500 per minute but the supposedly fast service rarely is. Of the restaurants providing wifi, Scallywags is the best bet with a fast, dedicated ADSL service from mainland Lombok.
William's Bookshop, right behind the Art Market on Gili Trawangan, acts as a de facto post office, sells stamps and can mail out your postcards.
See Gili Islands main article for further information.
There is a cheap and cheerful public laundry service at the back of the Art Market. Laundry is normally returned the next day, and when compared to the prices charged by hotels, this can save you a fair bit of money if you are on the island for anything more than a day or two.
- Lombok — if you are on one of the Gili islands you are already in Lombok, go to the main island to see the rest of it including nearby Tanjung and Senggigi a little further down the coast.
- Gili Air — put your feet up after all that partying
- Gili Meno — also a quieter Gili
- Gili Kondo — also a quieter Gili with beautiful coral undersea. It is situated by in east Lombok. Other gilis closed to gili Kondo are gili Patagan, gili Kapal, gili Bidara and Kenanga island.
- Nusa Lembongan — last stop before magical Bali
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!