Only 5 small main villages are located on Gili Gede with about 1000 inhabitants.
Accessible from tue harbour of Tembowong for about 25.000 IDR per person.
Close to Gili Asahan 4km .
Gili Gede is a small and isolated island. Much of the island has electricity and people live from fishing and tourism. As in the rest of Lombok, people speak mainly Sasak, as their is only a few tourists coming on the island, it might be difficult to find locals speaking english. Gili Gede (translates to big Island), West Nusa Tenggara is located on the south western tip of Lombok in Sekotong, its southern most tip approximately 550 meters off the port of Tembowong at the Lombok coast. It is the largest of the Sekotong Islands. GIli Gede, the best know of the 'secret Gili's' the cluster of small islands in this region, offers the broadest range of accommodation and tourist options.
With a length of 4km by 1.6km at its widest point (the dog nose), the island is quite long and narrow. There is walking access around most of the island but some area are more easily reached by local small fishermen boats. It has a total area of 3.2km2 and three main villages with approximately 1000 inhabitants
With close proximity to Desert point a surf break which is world renowned as being one of the longest left hand surf breaks in the world, and surrounded by famous dives sites such as Sekotong bay and Belongas bay, Gili Gede is a prime launching pad to enjoy diving and surfing.
The island itself is within an extremely sheltered bay so is an ideal location for pleasure boat cruising or sailing. Gede enjoys a climate with only four months maximum of rainfall and a balmy water temperature of 28 degrees all year round
On a clear day, both Mt. Rinjani and Mt. Agung can be seen from Gede. Turquoise waters, and white sand beaches are some more offerings on Gede.
A laid back and quiet Island, Gili Gede is the perfect spot to unwind and relax
Flying from Singapore
Silk Air flies directly to Praya in Lombok a few times a week, depending on the season. The flight is approximately 2 hours 20 minutes. FRom Lombok airport, an approximate 1 hour 15 minute drive will take you to the southern coast of Lombok where a small local fishermen boat can take you accross to Gili Gede
Flying from Bali
Garuda, Wings air along with Lion air flies 3 to 4 times daily from Bali to Lombok also providing flights from selected destinations in Indonesia. The flight time is only 20-30 minutes from Bali, Please note that the airport in Lombok has recently moved to from Mataram to Praya in South Lombok and the drive from the airport to the harbor opposite Gili Gede takes approximately 1.5 hours
Public transport There is a public ferry crossing from Padangbai, Bali to Lembar, Lombok. Costs: Rp. 40.000 per Adult, Kids aged 2-12 pay less From the port of Lembar Bemos are going to Pelangan. The Bemos start outside the harbour on the main road. Just hop off in Tembowong where the taxi boats to Gede start. Or take a taxi from the harbour to Tembowong. Try not to pay more than Rp. 250.000. Maybe your resort can arrange a pickup because transport organized from Gede is Rp. 200.000. Official price for the taxi boat is Rp. 25.000 (07/2016). They drop you directly on the beach of the resort you choose or help finding accommodation.
To get in Gili Gede from Lombok island, one can arrange cars from Mataram, Senggigi, Bangsal, Kuta, Lembar, and other places in Lombok island.Transfer to gili Gede could be booked in advance via [email protected] or WhatApps +6281904056966.
The Gili Islands (Trawangan, Air and Meno) to Gili Gede
A combination of car/speedboat transfers can be arranged. The travel time will take approximately 2 hours, or a speedboat (weather permitting) that will take approximately 1 hour
Fast boat from Bali, Gili T or Senggigi
- Gili Getaway Fast Boat : ☎ +62(0)81337074147 Gili Getaway, By far the quickest and cheapest way to Gili Gede is by Fast Boat. Gili Getaway, a Western owned company is operating the first fast boat service from Bali, Gili T and Senggigi to Gili Gede. The trip takes approximately 1½ hours from Bali and includes pick-up and drop off from/to your hotel in Bali. The boat leaves from Serangan Harbor in South Bali (approx 20 mins from Kuta / Legian/ Seminyak) and takes you direct to the jetty at Kokomo Resort on Gili Gede. Gili Getaway IIII (The Bullet) runs from Gili Trawangan and the trip time is 45 mins beach to Jetty.
There is no taxi and no car on the Island, you can just walk around, knowing that the island is about 4 km long, any place in the island is in a walkable distance. You can also ask one of the fisherman of the island to bring you in some beach with his boat.
A motor bike rent on the mainland can be organized e.g. in the Thamarind resort for a short trip to Desert Point, to the market or to the next ATM in Lembar harbour.
Gili Gede offers a lot of beautiful and wild sandy beaches, it is a wonderful place for snorkeling and just wandering around, relaxing, and get in touch with the lovely and very friendly inhabitants and children of the island.
Walking, swimming, snorkeling, surfing (close by) diving, stand up paddle boarding and fishing can be arranged at ko ko mo Resort Gili Gede, and finally, relax.
Almost every accommodation has it's own restaurant and is open to public.
As the local people are Muslims you won't get alcohol in the small shops but in the restaurants. Sometimes although they are owned and managed by Muslims.
There are only a few hotels / guest-houses on the island but more coming.
- kokomo Gili Gede : ☎ +62(0)82147188997 Situated off the southernmost tip of Lombok, ko-ko-mo Gili Gede, a serene and chic resort, overlooks the sparkling aqua seas of the Indian Ocean. With Restaurant, private villas with pools and AC, golf green, tennis court and resort pool, the first truly 5 star experience on Gede
- Update 05.08.16: Madak Below is closed!
Madak Belo : ☎ +62(0)81805549637 Small guest house directly on the beach opened by a helpful french guy, it is an ideal destination for Backpackers, rooms start at 250.000 rp per night, bungalows 500.000. They also have a restaurant with local and fresh food, fresh fish and mackerels, vegetables and delicious pancakes.
- Secret Island Resort : ☎ +62(0)81803762001 Offering a terrace and a private beach area, Secret Island Resort also includes an on-site restaurant for those staying. Some rooms include a seating area. A terrace or balcony are featured in certain rooms. Every room includes a private bathroom equipped with a shower.
- Via Vacare : ☎ +62(0)81237324565 Perched on a retaining wall, on the western side of Gili Gede, Via Vacare offers bungalows and open air dormitories to suit a range of budgets
- Yut Inn Flower Paradise : ☎ +62(0)8179783508 Yut Inn Flower Paradise is a beachfront family holiday resort located next door to Kokomo Gili Gede. From Bali the "Gili Gateway" fast boat will bring you directly to the jetty next door and a short 1-2 minute walk to a warm welcome on arrival. We can cater for 1 - 16 guests in 6 bungalows (2 x Family Bungalows (1 double bed + 2 singles or 2 double beds,) 2 x Bamboo Bungalows ( 1 double bed) and 2 x Wooden Bungalows 1 double bed.)Bungalows range from IDR 350,000 to IDR 600,000 per night with breakfast in the restaurant included.
With "Gili Getaway" fast boat services now providing a direct fast boat service between Bali, Lombok and the Gili islands allows those on holiday to Bali, to now easily enjoy a unique tropical island experience away from the major tourist destinations. Located within a 1-2 minutes’ walk of the Gili Gede jetty, Yut Inn Flower Paradise is perfectly located as your base to explore the natural unspoilt beauty and islands close by. In conjunction with Daeng Darso, owner of LDC Boat Tours we can provide sightseeing, snorkelling amongst tropical fish, swimming and fishing trips to nearby islands of Gili Layar and Gili Rengeit and around Gili Gede.
- Pelangi Bungalow and warung : ☎ +62(0)81803761806 Family owned. Situated in the most southern village. Three bungalows, a small restaurant and a small shop. Snorkeling and boat trips can be organized.
- Thamarind Gili Gede : ☎ +62(0)81918170111 or +62(0)81238315850 [email protected] Family owned and managed. Situated 200m north of Madak Belo directly on the beach. Three nice bungalows with shared bathroom (Rp. 350.000/night), one wooden house in nice local style with one room with private bathroom and sweetwater shower and two rooms which share a second bathroom with sweetwater (Rp. 400.000 and 350.000/night). They also provide tents (three person tent with queen size mattress Rp. 150.000/night, big tent (up to 9-12 persons) 250.000/night. The areal is a big meadow with a lot of trees. Friendly staff. They also have a small restaurant. Snorkeling, boat trips, transfer and motorbike can be organized.
- Ultimate Gili Gede Dive Resort (Ultimate Gili Gede), Gili Gede (right beside Thamarind), ☎ +62 819 361 65000, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 11am. Ultimate Dive Resort is Gili Gede's only dive operation and bungalows, It consist of 2 beachfront Superior Bungalows complete with AC,Fridge, Fan,Mosquito net, Hot fresh water showers, Hot water maker,toaster 900k per night, 2 beach view bungalows with mosquito net,bluetooth speaker, fan, fresh water showers. There is a 3 bedroom villa, with AC,TV,DVD,Hot Fresh, Toaster, Fridge, Drinking Water 450k per person/per night. Great Restraunt with American and Indonesian cooking. Continental breakfast included in every night stay. Dive Certification PADI and SSI, Daily boat trips, Island Hopping, Snorkeling Trips,Guided bike tours, Fishing tours. 550k. (-8.749237,115.930301) edit
- Gili Getaway Fast Boat : ☎ +62(0)81337074147 Gili Getaway, By far the quickest and cheapest way to and from Gili Gede is by Fast Boat. Gili Getaway, a Western owned company is operating the first fast boat return service from Bali, Gili T and Senggigi to Gili Gede. The trip takes approximately 1½ hours from Bali and includes pick-up and drop off from/to your hotel in Bali. The return boat departs from kokomo's private Jetty
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|