The weather in Gijón is not like much of the rest of Spain. Gijón is on the northern coast of Spain. Depending on the year the temperatures change but usually the winter is cold and a little bit windy. During the summer it could be around 22º degrees, however it is strongly recommended that you come in August is the warmest month.
The climate of Gijón may be defined, in this sense, as being temperate, with an average annual temperature of 15º and slightly varying annual average maximum and minimum temperatures.
Rainfall ranges between 800-1,000 mm/year, fairly regularly distributed, with the absence of very dry periods and the non-existence of heavy concentrations of rainfall at specific times of the year.
Both variables, temperature and rainfall, are slightly modified at the southeastern border of the Borough, where the highest altitudes are to be found: the temperatures decrease and the rainfall increases.
The first inhabitants of Asturias, arrived 250.000 years ago. Some neanthertal remains are from Paleolithic, and others belongs to the "Asturiense" period, local culture between 7000 and 5000 b.c. One of the most important neanthertal remains are the Mount Areo dolmens.
The territory was occupied continuously during the Middle Ages, proof of which is the Romanesque churches dating from the 12th and 13th centuries. The founding of the Puebla (Village) in 1270 implied an urban expansion that was to come to a standstill at the end of the 14th century, when Gijón became the stage for the Trastámara conflicts, during which the town was almost completely destroyed.
In the 18th century, the erudite Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos laid out the plans for the development of Gijón. The process of industrialisation begun in the mid-19th century changed the city into the industrial centre of Asturias, with its leading El Musel Port, shipyards and numerous manufacturing installations.
The progressive modernization of the city, along with its own excellent natural conditions, has turned Gijón into a city that attracts a growing number of visitors, drawn by a good offer of culture and sports and a strong service sector. Now, at the beginning of a new century, Gijón is doing its utmost to preserve its remote historical past and to display this as an example of its touristic excellence.
You can get to Gijón by plane at the airport in Avilés (OVD) (about 30 minutes by bus or car from Gijón), by train with the Spanish company RENFE, by car, by bus with ALSA, or by boat.
You can visit the city by car, on foot, by bicycle through its bike lanes, or by Segway, personal transport with autobalance. You can rent Segways in the city and make guided tours around it.
The city has intra-city buses. The ticket costs 1.25€. During the Easter holidays and throughout the summer you can enjoy the city on a touristic bus which follows a route with stops at the principal tourism resources like the Railway Museum, Isabel La Catolica Park, Laboral City of Culture, the Botanical Gardens.
Gijón is a good place to visit because of its Roman past, its museums, its sculptures and architecture. It is a green borough, its gastronomy is unique, it offers quality commerce, and it has an exceptional location next to the sea and near the center of Asturias. You can make the following cultural tours
- Seaport to the Ruta de la plata, . Gijón keeps its Roman past alive through the actions taken in the Campa de Torres Archaeological Site, one of the main fortified settlements of the north of Spain (before 490 B.C.), and especially in the restored baths complex at Campo Valdés, a public building which dates from the end of the 1st century A.D. edit
- Roman thermal baths
- Veranes Roman Town
- Archaeological & Natural Park Campa Torres
- Pueblu d'Asturies Museum
- Nicanor Piñole Museum
- Evaristo Valle Museum
- Asturian Railway Museum
- Birthplace of Jovellanos Museum
- Barjola Museum
- Ciudadela of Celestino Solar
- Revillagigedo Palace
- Botanics Gardens
- LABoral City of Culture, . Located at the old Laboral University of Gijón, it is a creative community with more than 4.000 students and researchers. The building was created in the mid 20th century to offer workers' children vocational training. LABoral Art Center and Industrial Creation is a place where you can enjoy art, design and industry. It has also a theatre which offers modern spectacles. edit
- Santa Catalina Highlands. Santa Catalina highlands, an old military setting, has an auditorium, cafeteria and playground equipment. From the top you can enjoy a great view of the seaside. On the east you can see San Lorenzo beach with the mouth of the River Piles and La Providencia Mount. In the west you can see the harbour, Poniente beach, the aquarium and the thalassic center. Here, you can also find one of the most important monuments in Gijón, a sculpture by Eduardo Chillida called "Elogio del Horizonte". edit
- Cardi B Residency. Cardi B has a monthly residency at the Memphis Club by the picturesque Gijon Harbour, well worth a visit if you are in town when this is on, good beer too. €7.49. edit
For sea lovers, the Estación Náutica Gijón Costa Verde offers the possibility of practising sailing, scuba diving, boat trips, sightings of sea birds, dolphins and other cetaceans. Other activities include hiking, driving a quad, horse riding, following routes and in the air, paragliding, hot-air ballooning, potholing, bungee jumping, rafting, hydrospeed, skiing, mountain biking and much more. If you like football, visit the Sporting Gijon Football Stadium, "El Molinón".
- International Film Festival of Gijón, . Initially the International Film Festival of Gijón was addressed to children, but during recent years it has become an alternative film festival. During the festival you can enjoy workshops, parties, concerts, films. edit
- Aquarium, . The aquarium offers a tour through 60 different aquariums of freshwater and saltwater. You can discover how the life in the different seas of the world is. The tour length is about two hours and it includes a "touch touch" zone, where you can touch starfishes and small fishes. edit
- Atlantic Botanical Garden. Atlantic Botanical Garden is the first botanical garden built in the north of Spain. It is specialized in Atlantic flora and vegetation. It also offers a wide range of activities, such as concerts, workshops, etc. edit
- Asturias Casino. Asturias Casino, with more than 4000 m2 offers its visitors other activities besides plays: gastronomy, concerts, dance… You will enjoy an unforgettable evening supported by a professional team. edit
- Talasoponiente, . Gijon is a good place to relax; it offers a wide variety of establishments based on water therapies. Talasoponiente is a thalassic center located just between Poniente beach and the harbor. It is a modern center which offers all the advantages of sea water to relax. It includes a great leisure offer for the family. edit
Gijón lives facing the sea, which is ever present in its geography and activities. Nature has given the borough the gift of numerous beaches all along its coast.
Essential leisure spots when good weather pays us a visit, these sandy beaches are not abandoned with the arrival of autumn, the ideal time to enjoy a stroll or go fishing on the shore of the Bay of Biscay, known locally as the Cantabrian Sea.
Estaño Beach: it’s a small beach of sand and gravel. It has a natural swimming pool. Cagonera and Serin Beach it has strong swell and not many people.
- Peñarrubia beach: nudist beach, narrow and surrounded by high cliffs. It has many people.
- El Rinconin or Cervigon Beach: it is situated next to San Lorenzo beach. It has all services, and it has high affluence of people.
- San Lorenzo Beach located on Gijon bay; it is so beautiful and full of people walking, lying on the sand, swimming. It is well equipped: toilets, showers, sunshade and hammock for renting, nautical club, etc.
- Poniente beach, it is an artificial beach at Gijon’s harbor. It has fine sand and anchor zone.
- Arbeyal beach: small beach with golden sand, quiet water and good services.
- La Semana Negra, . Celebrated during the second two weeks in July; It is a literature festival mixed with leisure elements; a big culture party on the street. edit
- Big week in Gijon, it is the most important event in Gijon. It is celebrated in August; the festivity is on the 15th August, Begoña’s day. You can enjoy music concerts, fireworks, street food markets, differents places for eat the local food and drink one of their most famous thing "la sidra" (cider), also orchestras and a great variety of activities for everyone.
- El Antroxu, it is what they call the Asturian Carnival, one the most important events on the region. It starts with the popular "Comadres" Thursday (a special night for women) and it continues until the next Tuesday. Also During the carnival day there are parades, brass bands, dances, street bands, etc...
- Ecological and crafts market: The Ecological and Crafts Market of Gijón is a sincere attempt to recover traditional, local crafts and at the same time to favour the promotion and consumption of ecological products that are environmentally friendly. This novel, curious initiative is in itself an open doorway to one and all to get to know the trends in ecological products first hand and to not lose sight of most of the craft forms of working that are used in the region.
- Shopping precincts, Shopping centres and shopping precincts abound in the town, both in number as well as quality, the latter having been valued at a national level with an award within the National Awards for Domestic Trade. These precincts are open, agreeable spaces that generally coincide with one street and are conducive to taking a stroll, seeing the town and doing some opportune shopping. The streets of San Bernardo, Los Moros, Corrida, Covadonga, Menéndez Valdés, Magnus Blikstad, Langreo, Asturias and Álvarez Garaya are shopping precincts full of shops of all kinds situated right in the centre of Gijón, but also a neighbourhood like La Calzada has good services in streets like those of Brasil and the Avenida de La Argentina.
- Strolling around Gijón, you can see the high quality and wide range of the town´s shops in which you may find the right buy and the fitting gift. The thing is that it is understood that shopping must be quality shopping and that the whole town of Gijón is the largest Shopping Centre in Asturias
If Gijón and Asturias are characterized by something it is by their tasty and varied gastronomy. Produce is not lacking, fish, seafood, meats, cider and delicious pastries. To promote all these attractions and enhance this work that has been carried out for three years, Gijón Joint Tourism Board has devised a plan of action focused on five main axes: Gijón Gourmet Menu; Sweet-toothed Gijón; Cider Routes; Gijón Cocktails and Going Out for Pinchos around Gijón.
Gijón Gourmet Menu arose 5 years ago to make the city's new culinary trends known by encouraging restaurants distinguished by some quality seal or mark to popularize its cuisine. Given the success of this initiative, the idea is to further extend the product by enhancing the use of produce in the region.
As its name suggests Sweet-toothed Gijon aims at highlighting one of the city's biggest attractions, its wonderful pastries. Therefore, Gijón is known for having the largest number of bakers shops per capita in the country, something that the townspeople boast about because of their fondness for sweet treats. Thus, its pastries, cakes, and chocolate will be closer to visitors. The product, presented with authenticity and uniqueness, would create routes of associated establishments in the city with the chance to taste the specialties of each establishment.
Cider Routes. Gijón, being the largest borough producing this famous drink throughout the Principality, seeks to link the culture of cider, its making and its presence in the city. For this reason, we will have the collaboration of Comarca de la Sidra (Cider Region).
Gijón Cocktails.This initiative is born to encourage the catering and tourism sector bringing the citizen closer to the cocktail world as it is a very important part of gastronomy. The idea is to organize a contest on the streets and suggest routes by the participating establishments.
Going Out for Pinchos and tapas around Gijón is a logical action given the long tradition of tapas (appetizers) and the need to enhance pinchos (small snacks) with an increasing demand among the townspeople themselves.
Gastronomic Days. Each month the city holds a day devoted to a specific seasonal product, event or activity. All this at a standard price of 18 euros. All of them will be taking shape until 2012.
A example of Asturias´s gastronomy is the restaurant in GijónLa Pondala.
- Cimavilla Bars line the streets and plazas of the most emblematic of Gijón's neighbourhoods, a large number of bars in which to enjoy a chat with friends or others and in which you can dance until the early hours.
- Fomento Following the seashore, we find different establishments, the majority specialising in Latin rhythms. If your thing is dancing, don't miss coming along here later on at night.
- Capua - Náutico More music and more dancing facing the sea, the latest rhythms can be heard in the disco bars of this zone near to the beach of San Lorenzo.
- La Arena The most youthful ambience in town is to be found in this neighbourhood that runs parallel to San Lorenzo Beach.
- El Carmen For more tranquil folk and lovers of good wine, this neighbourhood in the centre of the town is full of tascas (taverns) and bars, ideal for opening up your appetite.
- The Ruta de los Vinos (Wine Route) One of the longest-standing areas to have a drink in Gijón, to start the night off with a beat.
- Abierto hasta el Amanecer (Open until Dawn)
Gijón has a truly extensive range of hotels. You may choose the hotel that suits you best according to its location, in the city centre or in the surroundings, number of stars, services, etc. In addition to the accommodation available in Gijon city, there are also outstanding country hotels, especially suitable for enjoying the peace and tranquility of the surroundings and the quality of their facilities and services.
- Hotel Robledo, Alfredo Truan 2, ☎ 985355940. Relatively cheap hotel located at the heart of Gijon. 50. edit