|General Santos City
Typical street in General Santos City
or "GenSan" is in the province of South Cotabato in the Philippines
. It is a highly urbanized city located at the southern portion of South Cotabato, but perhaps its biggest claim to fame is that boxer Manny Pacquiao is a native. It is known as "The Tuna Capital of the Philippines". General Santos is also home to a lot of media practitioners and media companies.
Average temperature in the city is 28°C with a maximum of 36°C. There are only two seasons; wet season starts in June and runs into October, while the dry season is in November thru' to May. The city is outside the typhoon belt.
People from GenSan are mostly Roman Catholics. There are also a large number of Protestants and Muslims in the city. Every February, the city celebrates the Kalilangan Festival. And every September as also the celebration of the city chartered anniversary the Gensan Tuna Festival.
Cebuano is the main language spoken in General Santos City and the surrounding communities. "Filipino" (based on the alien Tagalog language spoken around Manila) is reluctantly spoken as the National Language that has been stupidly foisted on Filipinos by a succession of Manila dominated legislators and that is reducing their English language competence and international competitiveness.
General Santos is served by the General Santos International Airport, the second largest airport in the country by runway area, although it has few flights. It has daily flights to/from Manila and Cebu.
- Philippine Airlines  - flag carrier
- Cebu Pacific  - 2nd flag carrier - budget airline
- Air Philippines  - budget airline
- PAL Express  - budget airline (PAL subsidiary)
GenSan Seaport has frequent boat trips to and from Manila, Cebu and iloilo
- Super Ferry 
- Negros Navigation 
- Sulpicio Lines 
Jeepneys, Multi Cab and the Tricycle are the main modes of transportation within the city. White air-conditioned taxis, with meters installed, are also available.
- Majestic Mt. Matutum located north of the city.
- Wonderful and Fascinating Kalaja Karst.
- Diving at south divers point
- Beach at Gumasa 120 min away from General Santos
white sand beach in Gumasa
- Golf at Sarangani Golf Club (Sarangani Province) or Kalasangi Golf Club (Polomolok)
- Fitmart Gensan, Downtown Proper, Roxas West.
- Gaisano Mall of Gensan, J. Catolico St., Lagao beside SOCOTECO II-Gensan.
- KCC Mall of Gensan, J. Catolico St., Lagao GSC.
- Robinsons Place Gensan, Bula - Lagao Road, Lagao GSC.
- SM City General Santos, Santiago Blvd., Lagao GSC.
- Pahayahay Restobar (love all feed all), (located along J. Catolico between Petron and Phoenix gas stations.), ☎ 083-5520187. good music, great food, reggae feel, 24 hours open
- Bee Stop Restaurant (Bee), Santiago Boulevard GSC (In front of Gillamacs Building). A place where the best garlic, buttered and fried chicken can be found.
- Sarangani Highlands, Tambler, General Santos City. If you want a nice, picturesque view along with some good food, then try Sarangani Highlands, a General Santos City restaurant located at the hilltop. It is overlooking Sarangani Bay, downtown GenSan, Mt. Parker, and Mt. Matutum so the scenic view is given. It also offers a wide selection of food and drinks. So whether you come in for breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner, you would surely find something delectable to order. Sarangani Highlands is also made popular by the annual Takdol Festival, which celebrates tribal food and entertainment.
- Fagioli, Petron Gasoline Station, Jose Catolico Ave., Lagao, General Santos City. if you just want to relax & have coffee. ideal time to visit will be during mid-afternoons when it isn't crowded. nice ambiance. you can bring along your laptop as the whole place is WI-FI enabled. they serve delicious "food for the gods."
- Chicken Hauz, South Osmeña, General Santos City. Chicken Hauz is a popular eating hub in General Santos City. Located at South Osmena, it serves the most delectable chicken recipes in the city. The dining experience may be casual but if you go down to the food, but if you try out their famous "garlic chicken", you will crave for more... Tourists and locals alike flock to Chicken Hauz for more servings of garlic chicken. You must never forget to try that, too.
- Mang Gorio's Bahay Kainan, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Paseo del Sol, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Ranchero, National Highway, General Santos City.
- La Veranda, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Grab-A-Crab, Laurel East Ave., General Santos City.
- Orange Bistro, Jose Catolico Ave., Lagao, General Santos City.
- Casa Goatan, Bulaong Subdivision, General Santos City, ☎ 5524199.
- bee stop chicken house (bee), santiago boulevard (general santos city). Bee Stop is serving a delicious garlic chicken in town. also available: buttered and fried chicken.
- Goldenstate College Cafeteria, Bakeshoppe and Catering Service, Pioneer ave corner Acharon boulevard general santos city, ☎ 554 5545. food center,bakery,bakeshoppe,and catering service
- Rolands Steak House, Jose Catolico Ave. Lagao. Rolands serve the very best steak in the whole of GenSan city. Well worth a visit. Casual atmosphere but the service is good.
- Nelsons Market, General Santos City. Good Seafood and tuna
- Janna's Inasal de Cebu, National Highway, General Santos City. The best tasting lechon in town
- Tatay Pepe's Restobar, along Laurel East Street (in front of Bayantel Office), ☎ 3022555, . 7pm-1am. Enjoy live entertainment NIGHTLY, rain or shine- beginning 9:30pm to 1:00am with acoustic modern, alternative and contemporary music and a little bit of love songs. Listen to our highly-acclaimed music selection in between jamming sets…
- Marasa Grill, #41 Kadulasan St., General Santos City (near Lea's Pension), ☎ (083)552-4628. 7AM-3PM. Marasa Grill serves lutong bahay and grilled meat and seafoods. It also accepts catering for all occassions. It is open for breakfast and lunch. Group rates for a complete meal ranges from P315-1025.00 for 4-6 persons. Php49-120.
- Blugre Coffee, JMP Bldg, S. Osmena Street (2 blocks East of Municipal Hall), . 8:30 am - 12:00 am. Easily the best coffee in Gensan. The atmosphere is very comfortable with jazz music. Good desserts and light meals to go with espresso coffees, teas, iced-blended drinks, and excellent fresh-squeezed lemonade.
- Big Ben's, Robinson's Mall. Known for delicious steak, there are also many local options of good Filipino food. A very nice atmosphere with warm service.
- Pahayahay Restobar (love all feed all), (located along J. Catolico between Petron and Phoenix gas stations), ☎ 083-5520187. good music, great food, reggae feel, 24 hours open
- Liean Gavril's Kinawboy, 082 Laurel North (In front of AMA). Open for lunch. The greatest kambingan in town! ₱60 average.
- East Asia Royale Hotel, National Highway, General Santos City, . checkin: 9/21/009; checkout: 9/28/009.
- Family Country Hotel, DBP Compound, General Santos City.
- Sydney Hotel, Pendatun Ave., General Santos City, aldrin.
- Phela Grande Hotel, Pres. Quezon Ave., General Santos City.
- Miriam's Pension, General Santos City.
- Anchor Hotel.
- Cassado Bar, East Asia Royale Hotel Compound, National Highway, GSC.
- Sun City Suites, National Highway beside East Asia Royale Hotel.
- MLoft Business Hotel, Salvani St. Gen. Santos City, (Between Aparente and Mabuhay Rd.), ☎ (083)-5543833 ([email protected]), . a newly built hotel in a quiet but accessible location, provides ample parking, wheel-chair friendly and has excellent service. ₱1500- 1850. ==Get out==