Earth : Europe : Scandinavia : Norway : West Norway : Møre og Romsdal : Geiranger
Geiranger  is a village in Møre og Romsdal. The Geirangerfjord is one of the most beautiful mainland fjords. In a rating of UNESCO World Heritage Site, Geirangerfjord (along with Nærøyfjord in Sogn og Fjordane) obtained top score in a survey conducted by prestigious National Geographic Magazine. A visit to Geiranger can be included in a trip along the Norwegian coast.
The distance from Ålesund airport is 124 km (77 mi).
Car ferry from Hellesylt, on the famous Geirangerfjord. Eight daily deparures 1Jun-2Sep, four daily departures 1May-1Jun, 3Sep-30Sep. There is also twice daily ferries from Valldal (20Jun-20Aug). Hurtigruten calls Geiranger on a summer service (15 Apr-14 Sep). Embarking/disembarking by small boat.
No need to use the tour boats. You can see just as much from the Hellesylt ferry with commentary in German and English as well as Norwegian - from a comfortable lounge with a good snackbar.
- Dalsniba, (Along route 63 towards Grotli). Dalsniba is a 1500 m (4920 ft) high mountain. Faboulus view over the fjord and the mountain behind. Tollroad: kr 80 (cars), kr 50 (motorcykles).
- Geirangerfjord. The steep-sided fjord with its waterfalls, including the Bridal Veil and the Suitor.
- Geiranger Fjordsenter, ☎ +47 70263810 ([email protected], fax: +47 70263141), . 1May-20Sep:. Visitor centre for the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Adults: kr 90, Children: kr 50.
- Ørnesvingen (The Eagles Curve), (On route 63 towards Eidsdal). View of the fjord and the village.
- Costal Odyssey, ☎ +47 95118062 ([email protected]), . Guded tour start: 11AM. Kayaks for rent either by the hour or for a whole day. You can also take part in a guided tour. Kayaking down the fjord is a very enjoyable experience; it offers spectacular views of waterfalls, mountains, and even, occasionally, dolphins. Rent: 1 hour: kr 150 (price drops for longer rent); guded tour: adults: kr 700, children: kr 550.
- The "Sky-to-Fjord" trip, run out of one of the small gift shops by the ferry dock (easily identifiable by its green roof), is a spectacular 17 km bike trip from the top of the mountain (high enough to still have snow in August!) back down to the gift shop. The trip includes van transportation to the top of the mountain and bike rental. You can go at your own pace as long as you return your bike to the gift shop by the end of the day. Take your time, as the spectacular views can make for worthy detours!
- Hike to see both Geiranger and the fjord from above. Up the road from Geiranger (63), take a left to Vesterås (Westerås Hytteutleige ). There's a very nice, cozy cafe, which most tourists are unaware of. From the cafe there are 2 hiking routes - Storseterfossen and Løsta. Storseterfossen includes walking behind a waterfall. The view from Løsta is well worth it. Both hikes shouldn't take more than an hour. 
- Daytrip (Geirangerfjord - Trollstigen), Geiranger, . 6-8. Take a rental car in Geiranger and drive on Norway's most famous mountain road
- Daytrip to Atlantic Ocean Road, . 8-10. By rental car from Geiranger via Molde to the fantastic Atlantic Ocean Road
- Geiranger Hotell, ☎ +47 70263005 ([email protected], fax: +47 70263170), .
- Union Hotel, ☎ +47 70263005, .
- Grande Fjord Hotel, ☎ +47 70269490.
- Hole Camping, Hole Hytteutleige, (Road from the ferry terminal towards), . Campsite with basic huts and cabins with amazing views over the fjord.
- Geiranger Turistinformasjon, ☎ +47 70263099 ([email protected], fax: +47 70265720). Internet.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!|