| || |
| || |
Revision as of 11:07, 10 June 2009
Geilo is a small town and skiresort in Buskerud. Geilo is one of the best known and most populare skiing areas in Scandinavia - but is also a highly cherished area for summer and autumn activities such as hiking, biking, fishing, rafting, glacier walk and more. At an elevation of 794 m (2605 ft) the ski season does not end until late april or early may. Geilo is a small town and has few shops and entertainment spots. The town centre includes several sport shops, tourist information, supermarkets, cafés & restaurants, newsagents and a range of other shops. Down the road there is a small cinema, library, and school. There is also a large sports hall (Geilohallen), which is also the cross country club (Geilo IL). Behind the building is a floodlit prepared cross country track, and a biathlon shooting range.
For a small town there is a large choice of hotels and apartments. One of the hotels is one of Norway’s most famous, Dr Holms. Others include the Bardøla, Vestlia, which is on the door step of Geilolia ski centre, Ustedalen and the Highland Hotel. You will also find plenty of cabins and apartments for rent in Geilo - most on a self catering basis. Geilolia Cabins & Apartments, Kikut and Geilo Apartement is some of the main suppliers for the self catering marked.
Earlier there was an small airport at Dagali, this is now only open for small private planes. So the closest option is Fagernes airport (IATA: VDB). Or Oslo airport.
Geilo is on the Oslo-Bergen line. The train use 3 hour and 40 minutes from Oslo.
Geilo is on route 7. Distance from Oslo is 243 km (151 mi). Geilo is on the end of route 40 from Kongsberg. Another option is route 50 from Flåm.
- Geilolia Summer Park, Bakkestølveien, 3580 Geilo, ☎ +47 3209 0000, . Geilolia Summer Park is open for visitor from mid-June til mid-August. The Summer park is a natural starting point for fishing, hiking and biking trips. We also have canoe and bike rental. The Geilolia Tree Top Walk (High course rope) is one of the biggest you will find in Norway, with a 150 metres zip line. You will also find a childrens play area, open cafeteria, summer lift, rafting, golf, spa and other activities at Geilolia Summer Park.
- Bardøla Høyfjellshotell, Bardølavegen 33, ☎ +47 32094100 ([email protected], fax: +47 32094501), .
- Dr Holms Hotel, Timrehaugvegen 2, ☎ +47 32095700 ([email protected], fax: +47 32091620), .
- Norlandia Geilo Hotell, Gamlevegen 2, ☎ +47 32090511 ([email protected], fax: +47 32091730), .
- Thon Hotel Highland, Lienvegen 11, ☎ +47 32096100 ([email protected], fax: +47 32096101).
- Ustedalen Hotell, Gamleveen 32, ☎ +47 32096700 ([email protected], fax: +47 32096701), .
- Geilolia Cabins & Apartments, Bakkestølveien, ☎ 0047 3209 0000, . checkin: 15.00; checkout: 11.00. Geilolia Cabins are situated next to Geilolia Ski Centre and Summer Park.Cabins with 6-12 beds. Geilolia Apartments are situated at the town centre of Geilo - within walking distance to shops, restaurants and activities. The apartments sleep 4-7 people. For further information [email protected]
Geilolia Cabins & Apartments. Phone: +47 3209 0000 / [email protected]