Gadiara is a small town in Howrah District of West Bengal, India.
In the 18th century, the British build a fort at this place to guard the entrance by the river against river pirates. However the fort is now in ruins. It is situated at the confluence of the Hoogly and Rupnarayan Rivers. A good place for a day’s outing.
The place is 80 kilometers from Kolkata.
- Regular buses are available from Esplanade in Kolkata.
- Local trains available from Howrah for Bagnan. Local conveyance bus, auto from Bagnan to Gadiara via Shyampur.
- Drive down NH 6 upto Bagnan (46km). Turn left to Shivpur (33km). The picnic spot is 1 km beyond Shivpur.
- Bagnan to Gorchumuk Bus avilable via Shyampur Bus stopage and Shyampur to Gadiara Bus avialable from Shyampur Bus stopage.
- People who want to visit via Raichak can also go there by ferry available till 5-5.30 in the evening.
- The river is extremely wide here and the surroundings have a typical village atmosphere. Picnic spots are available in the tourist complex.
- Ruins of the fort at low tide.
- River cruise in country boats.
- Geonkhali Water Treatment Plant, Geonkhali (Take a ferry to go to Geonkhali, take a van rickshaw from there).
Flowers made of coconut leaf.
Good Indian food at reasonable price is available at New Chalantika Tourist Lodge. Basic local fast food stalls are situated near the bus stand.
A bar is located near the bus stand, open from 11am to 11pm. Local green coconut is also available near the river bank.
Foods in Rupnarayan Tourist Lodge (Govt. of WB) is also good.
- Rupnarayan Tourist Lodge, P.O. Dakshin Shibpur, Gadiara, Dist. : Howrah, Pin -711314, Phone :(03214)263125. AC and non AC rooms available. Sheds/ open ground for picnic available. Bookings can also be done from WB Govt Tourist Office, 3/2 BBD Bagh (East) Kolkata 700 001 Phone 033 22485917/5168/8271/8272.
- New Chalantika Tourist Lodge, AC & Non-AC rooms Rs. 250-350-700, Reservation from Kolkata Phone 09433585945. Lodge direct phone: 03214-263108/127 Mob: 09732583213
Geonkhali, Nurpur, Raichak, Diamond Harbour by ferry.