Foggia is the capital of the province of Foggia in the Puglia region. The area is known for agriculture, mainly olives, grains, grapes, cheese and mozzarella. Many pasta factories operate in this area since it has a perfect position in a big plain called Tavoliere delle Puglie and for this reason the town got the nickname "Granary of Italy".
The population is about 150,000.
No many people speak english but if you try to ask help or some indication locals surely will find a way to communicate.
Foggia is famous in Italy for the proverb "Fuggi da Foggia non per Foggia ma per i Foggiani", in english it means "Flee from Foggia not for Foggia but for Foggia people". Actually it is just an ironic way to explain the big warming of the locals.
Foggia's "Gino Lisa" airport has no scheduled flights at the moment however there is a helicopter service to the Tremiti Islands.
There are good connections from Rome 3.5 hours or a high speed train from Milan will get you there in just under 7 hours.
The train station is a block away from a National Rental car office.
From Naples train station there are buses to get the town in 2,5 hours. Buses are served by CLP.
City hall building has been build during the Mussolini dictatorship and for this reason has the shape of M in his honor.
Visit the Rosati market east of Centro in Via Rosati and Il Venerdi market attends every friday morning in Via Luigi Miranda.
Walking in the small and ancient streets of the old town, around Via Arpi and Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. Visit the Cathedral in Piazza Francesco de Sanctis and the Museum in Piazza Vincenzo Nigri, 3 that has a collection of antiquities of Daunia, a roman empire province, and from the even older prehistoric settlements in this same area.
A really taste of the city can be joined going to watch a soccer match of the local team, Foggia AC, at Pino Zaccheria Stadium. The passion and the warm of the supporters are a really good show.
Also, Foggia is close to Lucera, an old walled city, and adjacent to the Gargano peninsula.
There are an abundance of restaurants in Foggia. A food that every visitor should try is the Caciocavallo Podolico. A local cheese with a strong taste. It can be eat fresh, seasoned and grilled. You can find it in all restaurants in town.
There are many street food shops available around. They usually serve typical street food like pizza, panzerotti e puccie. A really typical street food is 'scagliozzo', actually it is fried polenta.
- Pizzeria Romana, Corso Cairoli 12. An institution in town.
- Scagliozzi, Via Vincenzo Capozzi corner with Via Vittime Civili
- Ambasciata Orsarese, Via Iorio Tenente, 53. Really typical food in a really typical environment. Everything delicious. Sometime, especially on Saturday evening, a local bands play folk ballads. It will be hard to eat everything that you ordered!
- Da Nino al Grottino, Teatro 13 on the edge of "Old Town", around the corner from the Teatro. This is a fun pizza place with a nice antipasta spread. It is often packed after 8:30PM. Wood fired pizza oven and good service.
- Giordano Da Pompeo, On the opposite side of the Teatro is a nice restaurant with white linen table cloths. Vico al Piano 14
- Del Cacciatore Di Gaetana, v. Mascagni 12. A family style restaurant that has great food. Just a block from Grottino.
There are several nice restaurants in this area of the Old Town.
- Trattoria Zia Marinella, Via Saverio Altamura, 23 - 71100 Foggia, ☎ +39330654510. Just a block from the Teatro adjacent to Old Town. edit
Many pubs and locals along via Arpi offer good selection of beers, wines and good snacks and food.
- Timeless, via Arpi 49
- Pachino, vicolo Ciancarella
- Lowen Inn, Viale Manfredi, 52
- Agriturismo Le Chiancate, Località Coppa di Mezzo, C. da Micheletti, 71014 San Marco in Lamis (FG), ☎ +39 0882 1995666, . Charming farm house in the Gargano National Park offering rooms and apartments; ideal for families, relax and sport activities, pet-friendly (41.762352,15.726797) edit
- Hotel Mercure Cicolella  - This hotel is conveniently located next to the Train Station, rental car agency and downtown businesses. The hotel has high speed internet for an extra fee and breakfast is included. The rooms facing inside are quieter.