Fargo  is a modern city of 90,000 on the Red River in the southeast corner of North Dakota. Many people relate Fargo to the eponymous 1996 Coen Brothers movie starring Oscar-winner Frances McDormand and William H. Macy, though none of the movie was filmed in Fargo. Neighboring Moorhead, Minnesota is across the river from Fargo and the area is generally referred to as Fargo-Moorhead. Fargo is the seat of Cass County.
- Moorhead - East of Fargo. Fargo's "Twin City," Moorhead is smaller than Fargo both in terms of land area and population.
- West Fargo - West of Fargo, a fast-growing town with much of the shopping in the area.
- Dilworth - A somewhat industrial town east of Moorhead.
Fargo is accessible by plane, train, bus or car.
Fargo's Hector International Airport  (IATA: FAR) is served by Allegiant, Delta, Frontier, Northwest, and United with flights to Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, and Phoenix.
Amtrak  serves the city with its Empire Builder line, with one train east and one train west every day. The station is located at 420 4th Street North. There are several restaurants near the station, and during the summer you may eat outside overlooking the train tracks. The Empire Builder goes from Seattle to Chicago.
Greyhound  and Jefferson Lines  serve Fargo. The bus station is at 402 Northern Pacific Ave, phone 701-293-1222. It is one of the few stations in the system that actually has Greyhound maps and model buses for sale. Next door, in the same complex, are connections for Fargo-Moorhead Public Transit buses.
Although still serving Fargo, Greyhound recently cut services to smaller North Dakota cities; Rimrock Stages provides service along I-94 to Billings, while Jefferson Lines serves I-29 north to Winnipeg and south to Kansas City.
Fargo is located at the intersection of Interstate Highways 29 and 94. It's about 230 miles northwest of the Twin Cities on I-94, about a three hour and twenty minute drive.
Bus transportation is available to most parts of the city. They are phasing out the tokens, so if you want a souvenir, get one now. Parking is plentiful, even on the main thoroughfares in downtown areas.
- FargoDome, 1800 N. University Drive, 701 241-9100, . Offers athletic events, broadway shows, music concerts.
- Roger Maris Museum, at the West Acres Shopping Center, 3902 13th Avenue (at I-29). Open year-round. Admission is free.
- Fargo Theater, 314 Broadway, 701 239-8385, .
- North Dakota State University, .
- Plains Art Museum, 704 First Avenue, 701 232-3821, .
- Fargo Air Museum, 1609 19th Ave N, 701-293-8043, . Open year round.
- Children's Museum at Yunker Farm, 1201 28th Ave. N, Fargo, .
- Fargo Theatre, 314 Broadway, . Open year-round.
- Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks, . Minor league baseball. Newman Outdoor Field, NDSU campus. While you are there, check out the Maury Wills Museum.
- Horse Racing at North Dakota Horse Park, 5180 19th Ave N, 701 277-8027 or 701 371-3373, . Season is from early August to mid-September.
- Red River Zoo, 4220 21st Ave SW, . Open May to October.
- Trollwood Performing Arts School, 200 Kandi Lane (37th Ave N & Broadway), 701 241-4799, . Located at Trollwood Park. Plans have been announced for its relocation to Moorhead, MN.
Two interesting landmarks in the surrounding are the KVLY-TV mast and the KXJB-TV mast, the tallest towers on earth.
- Celebrity Walk of Fame, 2001 44th St. SW, exit 348 Interstate 94. Tel: (701) 282-3653. No fee. The walk where more than 100 celebrities have left their marks in cement. Stars from music, the arts, politics, and sports, like: Garth Brooks, Neil Diamond, KISS, Maury Wills, Debbie Reynolds, and Governor Jesse Ventura, have left their signatures, handprints and footprints.
- Fargo Thunder Road, Go-kart racing, batting cages, adventure golf. Open May-September. http://www.feelthethunder.com/fargo.htm
- Fargo Events, (with 2005 dates):
- Vietnam Week (4/30-5/8) dedicated to Vietnam era. 1609 19th Avenue North, Fargo
- Life's Options(5/6-5/7) Entertainment for mature adults. Fargodome, Fargo
- Scheels Fargo Marathon (5/14) Civic Center, Fargo. http://www.fargomarathon.com/
- Fargo shopping means the million square foot West Acres, featuring Sears, JC Penney and Macy's plus a hundred other stores.
- Fargo also has many interesting boutique and specialty style shops downtown.
- Locally owned Ristreto Coffee & Tea located near West Acres (5050 13th Ave S) serves Fair Trade/organic coffee, tea, frappes, smoothies, Italian sodas, gelato, and pastries quickly, consistently, and exquisitely. Free wireless Internet access is available. No extra charge for Credit/Debit card purchases!
- Babb's Seattle Coffee House is a fantastic independent coffee shop located across the street from the Fargo Theater downtown. Credit cards are accepted for a $0.25 surcharge (take that Mr. I'm going to charge this coffee that costs less than $3).
- The HoDo Restaurant is an elegant but unpretentious restaurant at the Hotel Donaldson.
- Sarello's, across the river in Moorhead, is a fantastic restaurant with a first-class menu, although the ambience nowhere near matches the quality of food, wine, and service Sarello's has to offer.
- Monte's Downtown is a fantastic and modern upscale restaurant.
- Dempsey's Public House (226 Broadway) is Fargo's only traditional Irish pub. Upstairs of Dempsey's is The Aquarium, a live music venue featuring bands of every musical style.
- HoDo is the Hotel Donaldson bar featuring pub food and tapas-style dishes as well as beers and ales on tap.
Great variety of hotels and motels ranging from budget to luxury. Major national chains like Motel 6, Comfort Inn, Best Western, Howard Johnson's, Ramada, Radisson, Courtyard by Marriott, and Travelodge all have Fargo locations.
In addition, you may rent rooms from $300 per month or less. There are signs everywhere and some interesting residential hotels scattered about.
- Airport/Dome Days Inn. Tel: (701) 232-0000, Toll-free: (800) 329-7466
- Chez Susanne . Tel: (701) 293-9023, Toll-free: (866) 787-2663
- C'Mon Inn. Tel: (701) 277-9944, Toll-free: (800) 334-1570
- Flying J Inn. Tel: (701) 282-8473, Toll-free: (800) 845-1311
- Lindenwood Park Campground. Tel: (701) 232-3987 or 701-741-1398
- Motel 75. Tel: (701) 232-1321, Toll-free: (800) 828-5962
- Microtel Inn & Suites Fargo (12th Ave). Tel: (701) 281-2109, .
- AmericInn Lodge and Suites. Tel: (701) 234-9946
- Best Western Doublewood Inn. Tel: (701) 235-3333, Toll-free: (800) 433-3235
- Best Western Kelly Inn. Tel: (701) 282-2146, Toll-free: (800) 635-3559
- Comfort Inn East. Tel: (701) 280-9666, Toll-free: (800) 228-5150
- Comfort Inn West. Tel: (701) 282-9596, Toll-free: (800) 228-5150
- Comfort Suites. Tel: (701) 237-5911
- Country Inn & Suites. Tel: (701) 234-0565
- Econo Lodge. Tel: (701) 232-3412, Toll-free: (800) 553-2666
- Expressway Inn. Tel: (701) 235-3141, Toll-free: (800) 437-0044
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott. Tel: (701) 281-0494, Toll-free: (800) 228-2800
- Hampton Inn. Tel: (701) 235-5566
- Holiday Inn Express. Tel: (701) 282-2000
- Holiday Inn. Tel: (701) 282-2700, Toll-free: (877) 282-2700
- Howard Johnson Inn Downtown. Tel: (701) 232-8850, Toll-free: (888) 232-8850
- Kelly Inn. Tel: (701) 277-8821, Toll-free: (800) 635-3559
- MainStay Suites. Tel: (701) 277-4627
- Microtel Inn & Suites. Tel: (701) 281-2109, Toll-free: (888) 771-7171
- Motel 6. Tel: (701) 232-9251, Toll-free: (800) 466-8356
- Quality Inn & Suites. Tel: (701) 232-8850
- Red River Lodge. Tel: (701) 282-9100, Toll-free: (800) 843-7663
- Rheault Farm. Tel: (701) 241-1350
- Rodeway Inn. Tel: (701) 239-8022
- Scandia Hotel. Tel: (701) 232-2661, Toll-free: (800) 223-2913
- Select Inn. Tel: (701) 282-6300, Toll-free: (800) 641-1000
- Sleep Inn. Tel: (701) 281-8240, Toll-free: (800) 905-7533
- Super 8 Motel & Suites. Tel: (701) 232-9202
- Wingate Inn. Tel: (701) 281-9133, Toll-free: (800) 228-1000
- Hotel Donaldson, 101 Broadway 701-478-1000 is a beautiful experience. The Donaldson has only 17 rooms, each featuring original works by a Plains artist. It was immaculately renovated in 2003. Room decor is modern. Amenities include flat screen cable TV, rooftop spa and high speed internet access. Outstanding personal service includes complimentary gourmet breakfast bar in the morning and wine and cheese bar in the early evening. http://www.hoteldonaldson.com/main.html
- La Maison des Papillons B&B. Tel: (701) 232-2041, Toll-free: (888) 273-3380
- Radisson Hotel Fargo. Tel: (701) 232-7363, 800-333-3333
- Ramada Plaza Suites & Conference Center. Tel: (701) 277-9000
Fargo is a safe city, with little violent crime, however, use common sense especially when it comes to personal property, just as you would anywhere else.
There is free wireless internet access in the food court at the West Acres Shopping Center.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!