Fall River is a city in Massachusetts on the south seacoast. Fall River has the highest percentage (over 40%) of Portuguese of any city in the country. Most are of Azorean descent. Fall River was the largest cotton textile manufacturing area in the late 1800s. Many of the old brick buildings now lie vacant or have been torn down.
Interstate 195 runs east-west through Fall River between Providence, Rhode Island and Cape Cod. State Route 24 runs north toward Boston.
- Battleship Cove, 5 Water St., Phone: +1 508-678-1100, fax: +1 508-674-5597. Daily 9AM-5PM. The world's largest naval ship exhibit. Centerpiece is the U.S.S. Massachusetts, a World War II battleship. Also has a restored 1920 carousel.
- Fall River Heritage State Park, Davol St., Phone: +1 508-675-5759, .
- Marine Museum, 70 Water St., Phone: +1 508-674-3533.
- Narrows Center for the Arts, 16 Anawan St., Phone: +1 508-324-1926, .
- Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum, Phone: +1 508-674-9340, . Seasonal. Adm. $3, under 12 $1.50.
- The Great Feast of the Holy Ghost of New England (Mid-August), often called "the biggest Azorean feast in the world," draws busloads of Portuguese from all over the country and Canada.
- Water Street Cafe, 36 Water St., Phone: +1 508-672-8748, .
Bed & Breakfast
- 1873 House Bed and Breakfast, 621 Second St., Phone: +1 508-679-8990.