Fall River is a city in Massachusetts on the south seacoast. Fall River has the highest percentage (over 40%) of Portuguese of any city in the country; most are of Azorean descent. Fall River was the largest cotton textile manufacturing area in the late 1800s (AKA Spindle City). Many of the old brick buildings now lie vacant, have been renovated into stores such as the Burlington Coat Factory, and others on Quequechan Street, while others have burned (one in 1983 or the Kerr Mill fire in 1986) as well as been torn down. In and about the areas around these mills the streets, once cobblestone have been paved however near the center of the city (end of Plymouth Ave) you may catch a glimpse of the past after a bad winter when the pavement is broken up. In fact that area was paved over (including the trolley tracks about 20 yrs ago).
- Battleship Cove, 5 Water St., Phone: +1 508-678-1100, fax: +1 508-674-5597. Daily 9AM-5PM. The world's largest naval ship exhibit. Centerpiece is the U.S.S. Massachusetts, a World War II battleship. Also has a restored 1920 carousel.
- Fall River Heritage State Park, Davol St., Phone: +1 508-675-5759, .
- Marine Museum, 70 Water St., Phone: +1 508-674-3533.
- Narrows Center for the Arts, 16 Anawan St., Phone: +1 508-324-1926, .
- Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum, Phone: +1 508-674-9340, . Seasonal. Adm. $3, under 12 $1.50.
- The Great Feast of the Holy Ghost of New England (Mid-August), often called "the biggest Azorean feast in the world," draws busloads of Portuguese from all over the country and Canada.
- Fall River PAL, 31 Franklin St. This building hosts hardcore, punk and metal shows. Bands from local status to signed touring bands have come through. The stage room is very large with plenty of room to stand, dance, or whatever you came to do. Bands that have played here include, but are not limited to, Recon, And All Was Silent, and Years Spent Cold. There is a small concessions stand that has hot dogs, chips, water, and sodas. The stage is fairly large and could fit a five peice band comfortably.
Bristol Community College is a two year community college with a wide array of degree options, ranging from certificates, to associates degrees. BCC offers transfer options to four year colleges, as well as competitive two year programs in Nursing and Dental Hygiene.
- Burlington Coat Factory, 181 Mariano Bishop Blvd, ☎ (508) 675-0829, . M-Sat 10am-9pm, Sun 10am-7pm.
Fall River has an extremely wide variety of dining options, and is especially known for their delicious Portuguese style restaurants.
- Water Street Cafe, 36 Water St., Phone: +1 508-672-8748, .
- T.A. Restaurant, 408 South Main Street, ☎ (508) 673-5890.
- Al Mac's Diner, 135 President Ave, Fall River, MA, ☎ (508) 679-5851 .
- Ninety Nine Restaurant, 404 Pleasant Street, Building #7, ☎ (508) 673-8999.
- St. James Irish Pub, 91 Purchase St.
- 1873 House Bed and Breakfast, 621 Second St., Phone: +1 508-679-8990.
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 360 Airport Road, ☎ 508-672-0011. checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Offers 81 newly reappointed rooms featuring new furnishings, carpeting, bedding and linens.
- Lizzie Borden B&B, 230 Second St., Phone: +1 508-675-7333.
- Randall Durfee Guest House, 19 Highland Av., Phone: +1 508-679-0579.
Nearby New Bedford has whaling-related attractions. Boston, Cape Cod and Newport are tourist destinations within a on-hour drive.
|Routes through Fall River