Revision as of 10:59, 6 April 2012
Esztergom is a town near Budapest in Hungary. Situated on the right bank of the river Danube which marks the border between Slovakia ad Hungary. The biggest basilica (church) of Central Europe can be found in Esztergom.
- From Budapest drive out in direction Buda north on road No 10 (Pilisvörösvár-Dorog-Esztergom) ca. 45 km
- From Budapest drive out in direction Buda north on road No 11 then turn left at Szentendre towards Pomáz and climb the Pilis hills to arrive at Esztergom ca. 50 km
- From Budapest drive out in direction Buda north on road No 11 and follow the Danube along (Szentendre-Visegrád-Esztergom) ca. 65 km
- From Slovakia: Bratislava-Komarno-Štúrovo E 575, than local road: no. 63 and cross the Danube river at Sturovo
- From Vienna: E60, E75 highway, in Hungary M1 till way out at Komárom (9 km), than local road :no.10 and no. 11 till Esztergom
- from Budapest:
- Budapest-Esztergom local train from Nyugati PU. (Western Railstation) about 45 km.
- InterCity/EuroCity fast trains departing from Keleti PU. (Eastern Railstation) For example, the IC 170 runs from Budapest to Berlin with a stop in Štúrovo. Štúrovo railway station is on the opposite side of the Danube from Esztergom, in the Slovakian town of Štúrovo. Getting the train to Štúrovo involves a longer walk to Esztergom. However, it offers the novelty of travelling by train just over the Hungary-Slovakia border, then walking back to into Hungary on the new bridge over the river Danube.
- Budapest-Dorog-Esztergom (45km) or Budapest-Visegrád-Esztergom (65 km) local far-distance Volan bus line from Árpád Bridge Volan bus station in Pest.
- HÉV suburb train from Buda Batthyány Square till end-station in Szentendre, than Volan bus line Szentendre-Visegrád-Esztergom.
Daily boat line MAHART Passnave from Budapest Vigadó Square at Pest.
- The train station is roughly a twenty minute walk from the town center and basilica. Buses #1 or #6 run directly to the town center.
- The bus station is in the town center, just a two minute walk away from the main square, but in 2008 it will be moved out of the downtown area to the southern part of Esztergom next to the Tesco hipermarket.
- Esztergom Basilica on castle hill. 9AM-4:30PM. The town's claim to fame and the largest basilica in the country. It was in a church formerly built on the same spot that the Hungarian king Vajk was baptised and from then on known as Saint Stephen. Entrance to the basilica is free, though you can pay extra to visit the crypts, cupola, and the treasury.
- The Keresztény Múzeum/Christian Museum, Mindszenty ter 2. Tu-Su 10AM-5PM. The biggest ecclestial collection in Hungary. The museum is in the Primate's Palace in the Watertown part of town.
- Castle museum, Szent Istvan ter 1. Tu-Su 9AM-4:30PM. It's next to the basilica. The castle was built on ancient Roman fundaments. Free.
- Széchenyi square is one of the town's latest sights. It was completely rebuilt in 2006. It's the main square of Esztergom with mostly baroque buildings, fountains and restaurants.
- Bálint Balassa Museum, Pázmány Péter u., ☎ 33/412-185. Local and regional history museum.
- Mihály Babits Museum (Babits-villa), Babits Mihály u 11 (By car: Take Siszler u. opening from the main road). House of famous 20th century poet Mihály Babits.
- El Greco Gallery, (see listing under Sleep). Holds periodic exhibitions of contemporary arts.
- Thai massage in the Vadregény Pension and Holidaypark, .
- Aquasziget, Táncsics Mihály u. 5. Wellness spa
- Tesco, Mátyás király utca 30., open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except national holidays).
- Aldi, Dobogókői út. 7-20. German Supermarket-chain
- Park Center, Dobogókői út. Strip mall
- Spar (former Plus), Esztergom-Kertváros, Damjanich utca. Supermarket
- Lidl, Bánomi ltp. Supermarket, opening in early 2010
- Praktiker, Dobogókői út (Across Park Center). home improvement and do-it-yourself goods
- Anonymous Restaurant, next to the Primate Palace
- Cafe El Greco, 2500 Esztergom, Pázmány Péter utca 15,  is situated in the cosy, historical Viziváros. Here You can also visit periodic exhibitions of contemporary arts in the El Greco Gallery.
- CAFFE GRANTE Restaurant & Cafe, Dorogi út 5-7. Esztergom (GPS:N 47 deg 45.218 min E 18 deg 43.954 min), ☎ +36-33-512-465, . 12-20. The mediterranean colors of the walls and the friendly staff provide a warm and snug environment. The terrace is open from March until October. Free parking in the large parking area is available in the whole year. The restaurant is open for corporate parties and meetings up to 80 people. Opening time: Cafe: from Monday to Saturday from morning 8 till 22 o'clock in the evening and Sundays from morning 8 till 16 o'clock Restaurant:from Monday to Saturday from 12 till 20 o'clock in the evening. Sundays closed.
- Guest House El Greco, 2500 Esztergom, Pázmány Péter utca 15, Tel.: +36 33 631064, +36 30 9140595, . In the beautiful historical quarter of Esztergom, the Viziváros (Watertown), neighboring the world famous Christian Museum, and also just a close walk away from the newly built Aquasziget Thermal and Wellness Spa.
- Pension Decsi lies in a small, quiet street next to the Restaurant Alpesi, in a five minutes walking distance from the center of Esztergom.
- Hotel Esztergom at the foot of the Kossuth-bridge on Primate-island.
- Hotel Grante is in the suburban part of Esztergom, about 5 km from the old town. (GPS: N 47 deg 45.218 min, E 18 deg 43.954 min). Tel: +36 33 435-272 or + 36 30 969 1742
- Vadregény Pension and Holiday Park  - The scenic landscape of the Danube Band and the Búbánat valley near the city of Esztergom is the location of Vadregény Pension and Holiday Park. Those wishing to hike and recreate may spend their free time pleasantly on crystal air in the picturesque surroundings of the Duna-Ipoly National Park.
- Hotel Bellevue **** - Őrtorony u 49, at Búbánat Valley, just outside town  Tel: 33/510-810, Fax: 33/510-811, booking: 33/510-818, restaurant: 33/510-815
Free wireless internet is available on the main square (Széchenyi square).