Espinho is a seaside resort town in the north of Portugal.
It is served by frequent trains to Porto, Vila Nova de Gaia, Ovar and Aveiro. There are a few connections per day to Lisbon on fast trains.
The most interesting areas of the city are on walking distance, as they are mostly in downtown, close to the train station.
- Main Church - Igreja Matriz de Espinho.
- City Hall square and adjacent João de Deus city park.
- The fishermen pulling the nets to the shore on early morning.
- City open air market, every Monday - fish, vegetables, clothes, shoes, fabric, etc.
- The City Museum at the Fórum de Arte e Cultura de Espinho, that is in the building of a former factory of canned food called Brandão Gomes.
- Watch a volleyball match. Espinho is the Portuguese volleyball capital. Three local clubs host matches regularly: Associação Académica de Espinho, Clube de Voleibol de Espinho and Sporting Clube de Espinho.
- Gamble in the Casino.
- Play tennis at Complexo de Ténis de Espinho.
- Walk on the city-long promenade by the beach.
- Swim (be careful with the currents though) and enjoy the sun on the nice white sand beaches that Espinho offers.
- Walk on the gangway that starts in the northern beach of Espinho and takes you through the dunes with a fine sea view up to several kilometers into Vila Nova de Gaia.
- Rent a light aircraft and fly it at the Aero Clube da Costa Verde .
- Visit the Planetarium and watch the stars from the Observatorium at Centro Multimeios de Espinho .
- Watch a concert at the Music Academy .
- Play golf at the Oporto Golf Club , in the suburb of Paramos, south of the city of Espinho.
Festivals and events
- Cinanima - International Animated Film Festival , that usually takes place every year in November.
- FIME - Espinho International Music Festival, that takes place every year .
Fresh vegetables and local fish in the weekly open-air market.
Being a coastal town with deep fishing roots, Espinho has a wide variety of seafood restaurants.
During the Summer there are plenty of bars by the beach. In other seasons, you might want to visit "Bombar" or "Doo Bop", the places by the beach where many locals gather for a beer and good music in the late evening/night.
- Hotel Praia Golfe.
- Aparthotel Solverde.
The Tourism Office (Posto de Turismo, address: Rua 23 n.º 271, 4500-803 Espinho) is open every day from 9AM to 1PM and 2 PM to 5 PM. It can be be reached on the following phone numbers: +351 22 733 58 00 (1676) and + 351 227 335 872. You can also send them an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Santa Maria da Feira with its Castle and its interactive science museum Visionarium is less than 20 km away and reachable by train or bus.