| || |
| || |
| || |
Esbjerg   is in Jutland, Denmark.
The city of Esbjerg is Denmark's fifth largest city and has a population of 72,613 (2003). It was established around the harbour, which the state had built in 1868 as a replacement for that harbour in Altona that had previously been Denmark's most important North Sea harbour. In 1874 Esbjerg became connected by rail to Fredericia and Varde.
The town was once Denmark's biggest fishing harbour, and the harbour is still an economic driving force in the town.
The train station is located in the town center and this connects you to pretty all of Denmark and beyond.
- Billund Airport is western Denmark's biggest and more well connected. It is conveniently located about an hour's drive from Esbjerg.
The low-fare airline Ryan Air serves Esbjerg with flights from London Stansted Airport.
Esbjerg is the terminal for the DFDS overnight ships to England.
The town has no airport. Billund Airport, an hour, away is served by bus.
Express busses connect Esbjerg to Aalborg, Aarhus and Sønderborg as well as other towns in Denmark.
The town is centered around the harbour and shopping area (Skolegade, Kongensgade). As the town area is rather small, it is possible to get most places by walking. However, you might consider using the public bus for the more far sights as Fisheries- and Maritime Museum in Hjerting.
(See Map of Esbjerg)
- Man meets the sea,  sculpture
- Fisheries and Maritime Museum,  The Fisheries and Maritime Museum is the largest institution of its kind in Denmark focusing on Danish fisheries and marine biology, the tidal wetlands (Wadden Sea), west Jutland coastal shipping and the North Sea offshore industries. So the theme of the museum can truly be said to be "people and the sea"
- Legoland,  the original is situated in the town of Billund about an hours drive from Esbjerg.
- Visit the Svømmestadion Danmark (on Strandby Kirkevej/Gl. Vardevej crossing)
- Visit the cinema Biocity Esbjerg (right next to Svømmestadion Danmark)
- Stroll around in one of the parks in Esbjerg. In a protected area, you can see wildlife animals such as deer and roe
- Sail the 10 minutes to the little island Fanø that has great beaches and the village Sønderho (link to ferry)
Esbjerg has some great options for shopping centered around the two main shopping streets. Kongensgade is a pedestrianized shopping street and has some 150 specialty shops and eateries. Torvegade, partly pedestrianized, is also worth a visit. The two converge right around the main square in town.
Shopping hours are on weekdays from 9-10 am. to 5:30-6:00 pm. On Saturday, most shops close down at 2 pm. while Sunday nearly all shops remain closed.
Esbjerg has some good options for eating out.
- Ristorante Maremma located right on the walk street serves great inexpensive Italian food.
- Den Røde Okse located a few kilometers from the center does steak and fish well at midrange prices
- Green Garden,  is the gourmet restaurant of the Hotel Britannia right in the town center. Prices in the high range.
- Brasserie b, Torvegade 24 (in Hotel Brittania), ☎ ''+45'' 7513 0111. Nice open and friendly restaurant from DKK 200 for main courses.
Dronning Louise on Torvet
Skolegade is the street where most bars and clubs are located. It is in the center of the city.
- Industrien - also serves a really good reasonably priced meal. The burgers are recommended. Occasionally live music.
- Dronning Louise Good looking place right on the town square. Has got “English pub” style live music and a good selection of beer.
- Paddy Go Easy - Irish Pub
Sands Restaurant is very good for Danish food.
- Danhostel Esbjerg, 
- Ådalens Camping, 
- Rent a holiday home, 
- Cab Inn, 
- Hotel Britannia, Torvegade 24 (Close to Torvet (the Square)), ☎ ''+45'' 7513 0111 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2am; checkout: 11pm. Free wireless internet from 1400 (700 weekend).
- Hotel Ansgar, Skolegade 36 (at Torvet), ☎ 75128244 ([email protected]), . from DKK 800.
- Hotel Scandic Olympic, 
- Hotel Hjerting, 
- Esbjerg Højskole, 
| Kingston upon Hull ← (no connection) ←
|| W E
|| → Vejen → Copenhagen