Erlangen  is a city in Bavaria, Germany, near Nuremberg (Nürnberg). Home to the Friedrich-Alexander University and the Siemens company.
One third of the residents are involved with the university (students, reseachers etc.), and another third work for Siemens.
Medicine is one of the specialities of the University, so you are in luck if you fall ill with over six clinics located within the city.
Trains and S-Bahn runs regularly from Nürnberg and take about 20 min. Bamberg is about 30 min away in the other direction. Most ICE trains between München and Berlin stop in Erlangen.
The tourist office is located in the center of the city, just next to the City Hall (Rathaus). You can find almost everything regarding Erlangen in this  portal.
By public transport
The local buses  have a frequent and punctual schedule connecting all areas in and around Erlangen. Liniennetz Erlangen
S-Bahn between Bamberg, Forchheim, Fürth and Nuremberg. Info: S-Bahn
There are a lot of taxi companies available throughout the city that are available 24/7.
Bicycle is most probably the first choice of people, due to the very well organised bicycle roads and the small distances that have to be covered, to get around the city. Even if you cannot have your own bicycle in Erlangen, you can rent one at various local bicycle shops or at the main train station.
In the heart of the city, everything is in a walking distance and there are a lot of pedestrian-only areas.
If you need to cross a cycle lane with your car, be prepared to reverse if a bicycle approaches. When you turn, give way to cyclists.
If you choose to drive in Erlangen, avoid downtown. There are several streets that are partially or entirely closed for cars. The best choice is to park outside downtown and walk.
For a full list of museums, exhibitions and events in Erlangen check here  and select Mittelfranken.
- Schlossgarten, large green area surrounded by University buildings.
- Hugenotten church 
- City Museum.
- Martin Luther Church , just next to the City Museum
- Städtische Galerie 
- Botanischer Garten , worth visiting with plants and trees from all over the world. Tip: Every first Sunday of the month you can visit a cave located in the Garden 
- Fine Art Ceramics 
- Photo Atelier 
- House of Art 
- Siemens AG Medical Solutions Museum 
You can find a lot of cultural events running through out the year in the Stadtverband der Erlanger Kulturvereine e.V. 
- Bergkirchweih : Held every Pentecost (Whitsuntide) for twelve days every year. Similar to Oktoberfest, but more German owing to the absence of tourists. In the year 2005 it marked its 250th anniversary.
- International Comic Salon Erlangen : Held every two years. The paradise of comics fans.
- International Figure Theater Festival : Held every year.
- International Film Festival for Horror, Thriller, Science Fiction and Obscure Films : Held every May in the Manhattan cinema.
- Poetry Festival : Held every year.
- Summer Nights Film Festival 
- International Jazz Workshop Erlangen 
- Classical music by the lake : Held every summer.
- Stummfilm-Musiktage : Germany's most beautiful silent film festival with live music.
Concerts and Theaters
- Gemeinnütziger Theater- und Konzertverein Erlangen e.V. (gVe) . Local non-profit Union that organizes theater shows and classical concerts all year round.
- Stadttheater Erlangen . 3 different stages, among them the Markgrafentheater, which is the oldest Baroque theater in Southern Germany - built in 1719. It is worth visiting, even if you don't understand German at all.
- Theaterverein Fifty-Fifty e.V. . Cabaret, theater and music stage.
- Studiobühne Erlangen e.V. . Student theater association with roughly ten productions being staged every year.
- There are a couple of swimming pools in the city open for the public. You can find opening times and prices (in German) here .
- There is a golf place 15kms away to the east .
- Anniversary charitable football tournament "Football against cancer". Last Sunday of February in the sport hall of Friedrich-Alexander University.
- Arcaden  big shopping mall
- Neuer Markt  shopping mall
- Nürnberger Straße is lined with a selection of shopping opportunities.
- Musica , music records and books.
- Ultra Comix , comic store.
- Mitbringsel , you can get a lot of gift ideas. In the same style also Der feine Laden  and Galerie am Eck 
- Prachtstück , jewellery, pearls, workshops.
- Leonidas pralines , chocolates and more.
- Wassermann Floristik , flowers.
- Prahse Antik , antique furniture.
- Messer Massari , japanese knives.
The region is famous for the number and charm of its beer gardens, where in summer you can enjoy a cool drink and a bite to eat (Brotzeit = German equivalent of a picnic) whilst enjoying traditional music.
- Döner shops all along the Hauptstraße.
- TiO . Just across Arcaden, only 5 minutes walk from the main train station.
- BräuSchänke , located near the center of the city. Traditional German food and beer from the local brewery Kitzmann .
- Muskat , located in the Hauptstraße near the Schlossplatz. Organic food and beverages.
- Orpheus, Luitpoldstrasse 25, 91025 Erlangen, ☎ +49 9131 24235, . 11:00-14:30; 17:00-23:30. Greek restaurant Euro: 10-30.
- Steinbach Bräu , it is hidden in the alleys of the city in the northern part, so tourists cannot easily find it. Traditional German food with fresh beer from their microbrewery.
- Unicum , located at the Rothelheimpark to the east of the city. During summers, the beautiful Biergarten is open.
- Elements . Restaurant, lounge, stage, living room.
- Goldene Harfe .
- Lennox steak + seafood . Just next to the Martin Luther square (and church).
- Mein lieber Schwan .
- Zen . Bar and Thai restaurant. Impressive building and interior. Located at the Theaterplatz.
Murphy's Law  - Irish pub in Lorlebergplatz - has great chicken and mushroom pie.
You can play darts and eat fish and chips at the Dartmoor Inn .
Havana . Bar serving mainly cocktails.
Lorleberg Café . Coffee place at the square of the same name.
Sax . Meeting point of many locals for coffee and small dishes. Located directly at the Erlanger Schloss, nowadays the administration building of the Erlangen University.
- E-Werk  Largest venue of the city. Cultural center with concerts, parties, small cinema and other things
- Strohalm 
Clubs and Discos
- Hörsaal . Hörsaal in German means lecture hall, so you can imagine that students visit it often.
- Paisley . House music, frequent events.
- Zirkel . The one and only (student) Disco in Erlangen.
- AB Hotel  very close to the Theaterplatz in the center of the city. Quiet and clean, with free WLAN. 30Euro for Single bed and 45 euro for double bed.
- Youth hostel Südliche Stadtmauerstraße 35, +49 9131 862555, Fax:+49 9131 862119. DJH hostel. Preference given to under 26-year-olds. In the Freizeitzentrum, where you will also find a pool etc.
- Gasthof Schwarzer Bär  Innere Brucker Straße 19 (one block south of the train station), +49 9131 22872, Fax:+49 9131 206494. Single room with shower/shared €30/26; double with shower/shared €47/36; three-bed room with shower €62.
- Hotel Zeitwohnhaus  Classy business hotel close to the centre of the city (1km from Hbf). Great rooms with comfort apartments from $90 per day.
- Hotelchen Garni am Theater  as the name says, it is located in the Theater area of the city.
- Altmanns Stube . Elegant hotel in Theaterplatz with a restaurant also.
- NH Erlangen . Located in the city centre, this 4* hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants, bars and tourist attractions.
- Hotel grauer Wolf . Cannot get any closer to the center of the city. It incorporates a gourmet restaurant also.
- Rokokohaus . Exquisite hotel.
There are many interesting and charming destinations for sightseeing and day trips (or longer) in the Erlangen region. The surrounding countryside is beautiful (Franconian Switzerland, Franconian lake district) and there are many towns and villages of historical and architectural interest.