*[[Philadelphia]] - 60 miles
*[[Philadelphia]] - 60 miles
| || |
cities in Pennsylvania]] |+|
[[Category: in Pennsylvania]]
| || |
Revision as of 22:14, 20 March 2013
Emmaus is a borough in the Lehigh Valley region of Pennsylvania, in the United States. It is located five miles southwest of Allentown, the state's third largest city, after Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. In 2007, Money magazine listed Emmaus as one of the top 100 "Best Places to Live" in the U.S.
There is public transportation, the Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) bus, that can take you from Emmaus to Allentown and the greater Lehigh Valley area.
Private bus lines, including Carl Bieber Tourways, provide daily roundtrip bus service between the Emmaus area and New York City, Philadelphia and several New Jersey beach locations.
Another great way of getting around Emmaus is renting a car.
Easy access to Emmaus is available via PA 309/Interstate 78 exits 55, 57 and 58.
- Exit 55 is PA 29 (Cedar Crest Boulevard). Southbound will take you to just west of downtown.
- Exit 57 is Lehigh Street. Southbound will take you onto Chestnut Street and into downtown. It also provides access to downtown Allentown to the north.
- Exit 58 is Emaus Avenue. You are forced to go southbound anyway. This is just an easier parallel of Lehigh Street, but is only available to westbound 78 travelers.
- Rodale Press is on Minor Street in Emmaus. Rodale publishes some of the nation's most widely-read health and activity magazines, including Men's Health, Prevention, Bicycling, among others. It also one of the nation's most prominent publishers of health-related books. Titles include the 2003 best-seller, The South Beach Diet..
- Shangy's is a famous beer distributor located on Main Street in Emmaus and one of the largest beer distributors on the East Coast. It advertises itself as having the largest number of beer brands from all over the world of any distributor in the nation. Shangy's attracts beer enthusiasts from around the nation, especially those looking for hard to find domestic or international beers.
- Historic sites all throughout Emmaus. There's the Shelter House (610 S. Fourth St., 610-965-9258), the Emmaus Historical Society Museum (563 Chestnut St., 610-966-6591), the 1803 House (55 S. Keystone St.), the Knauss Homestead (164 E. Main St., 610-965-9080), and the Emmaus Moravian Church (Keystone & Main Streets, 610-965-6067)
For more things to experience around Emmaus and Lehigh Valley, visit the Allentown, Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) or Easton pages.
- Every February, Snowblast Winter Festival
- Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, Faschnacht & Forsythia Festival. Celebrating faschnachts (Pennsylvania Dutch donuts) and Emmaus' flower, the Forsythia by crowning the King Faschnact and Queen Forsythia and knighting the Defender of the Faschnact (great fun!)
- Every April, Patriot's Day Dinner
- Last Monday in May, the Memorial Day Parade
- Every June, Art in the Garden
- Every July, Annual Clay Shoot
- Every September, Wildlife Art Festival and Community Heroes Day
- Saturday after Labor Day, Emmaus Heritage Day with crafters, food and beverage, live entertainment, activities, historic site tours, and free trolley rides
- Weekend after Labor Day, Memory Day Craft Show
- Every October, Student Horror Film Contest & Festival
- Third Saturday in October, the Emmaus Halloween Parade takes place in Emmaus. It is one of the largest parades in the Lehigh Valley, typically drawing thousands from around the Valley. The Emmaus Lions Club is a primary parade sponsor. For more information on the Emmaus Lions Club, visit: .
- First Saturday in December, Old Fashioned Christmas with horse and buggy rides, contests, strolling carolers, a tree lighting ceremony, and Santa comes to town.
- Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom in South Whitehall Township, by Emmaus, is one of the premiere amusement and water parks in the nation, known especially for its elaborate rollercoasters and large waterpark..
- Emmaus Community Park is one of the many parks around the area. There is a pool open during the summer months. There are also fields to play baseball, softball, and soccer, and courts to play volleyball and basketball. There is also a walking trail. During the summer months, there are concerts in the park. 
- Emmaus High School athletics. Located in Emmaus, Emmaus High School is one of several large Lehigh Valley high schools that competes athletically in the Lehigh Valley Conference, widely considered one of the most competitive athletic divisions in the United States. Emmaus High School athletic events typically draw large crowds, especially in football, boys and girls basketball, girls field hockey and wrestling. The school is widely known for its exceptional girls field hockey and boys and girls swimming and diving teams, both among the nation's best.
- Indian Creek Golf Course. 18-hole Emmaus golf course.
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs. The AAA-level minor league team of the Philadelphia Phillies plays in Coca-Cola Park in neighboring Allentown. Tickets: (610) 841-PIGS..
- Philadelphia Eagles. The Philadelphia Eagles hold their twice-a-day summer training camp practices each July and August at Lehigh University in neighboring Bethlehem.. Attendance is free.
- South Mountain is a perfect place to enjoy a hike or to go for a ride on a mountain bicycle.
- Wildlands Conservancy, 3701 Orchid Place, ☎ 610-965-4397, . Non-profit organization that puts together outdoor adventures, whether they be hiking and biking, canoeing, creeking.
- Within 10 miles of Emmaus. you'll find the Allentown Art Museum, America on Wheels museum, Civic Theatre, DaVinci Science Center, the Museum of Indian Culture (these and more found on the Allentown page), the Banana Factory, Burnside Plantation, Sands Casino (these and more found on the Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) page), the Crayola Factory, the National Canal Museum and the State Theatre (these and more found on the Easton page).
- The Emmaus Farmer's Market is held every Sunday from 10AM-2PM and is a great place to meet the locals and enjoy organic produce.
- The South Mall is in the Emmaus area, which has stores such as the Bon-Ton, Victoria's Secret, Game Stop, Fye, Radioshack, Petco, Staples, etc.
- There are other specialty stores located on Main Street in Emmaus, and they sometimes hold weekend street sales. Some of them are: Emmaus Jewelry Shop, The Finish Line Running Store, The Emmaus General store, Kim's Kountry Kreations. You'll also find a bunch of consignment shops, including Once Upon A Time (a children's consignment store) and Out of our Hands (local artisans; 244 Main St., 610-965-4806).
For more places to shop around Emmaus and Lehigh Valley, visit the Allentown, Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) or Easton pages.
There are many restaurants in Emmaus, including:
- Armetta's, 301 Main St., Emmaus, (610) 967-3050. Regionally famous Italian restaurant and pizzaria, highly-popular with locals. Italian food, pizza, Philadelphia cheesesteaks. Offers inside and patio dining, pick-up and local delivery..
- Blimpie's Subs and Salads, 4002 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 967-0686. Subs, sandwiches and salads for inside dining or to go..
- Buckeye Tavern on Brookside, 3741 Brookside Rd., Macungie, (610) 966-4411. Restaurant and tavern constructed in 1735 during British colonialism. Family-owned since 1987 with two of Lehigh Valley's leading chefs. American cuisine. Upstairs party room. Indoor and outdoor bar. Also offers take-out service..
- Cafe 29, 1301 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 966-2999. Bistro..
- Cavaluzzo's Pasta Steak & Subs, 1328 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 965-8070.
- Chestnut Street Deli, 1458 Chestnut St, ☎ 610-965-3663.
- Dynasty Chinese Restaurant, 620 State Ave., Emmaus, (610) 965-2771..
- Emmaus Bakery, 415 Chestnut St, ☎ 610-965-2170.
- Emmaus Diner, 1418 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 967-5877.
- The Farmhouse, 1449 Chestnut St, ☎ 610-967-6225, . $$$.
- Fiesta Olé, 1116 Chestnut St., Emmaus. Fresh Mexican food, but best known for their fried ice cream. Upbeat Latin music and bright colors..
- Hillstone Restaurant, State Road Main, Emmaus, (610) 965-5750. Restaurant and bar.
- Joe's Pizza II, 578 Chestnut St, ☎ 610-966-1080.
- Lee Gribben's on Main, 2nd & Main Sts., Emmaus, (610) 967-4409. High-end dining establishment. Formal. Bar separate from restaurant. Exceptional food among the best in the Lehigh Valley..
- Lee's Hoagie House, 634 State Ave., Emmaus, (484) 232-6277. Hoagies, Philadelphia cheese steaks.
- Lin's Garden, 339 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 965-9300. American food, steaks.
- Lingnan Chinese Restaurant, 1328 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 965-8373. Chinese.
- Mamma Mia Pizzeria, 1245 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 967-0600. Pizza. Free delivery.
- Mas Cafe, 332 Main St., Emmaus, (610) 421-8308. Deli and coffee house. Closed on Mondays. Free WiFi connection. Large selection of domestic and international coffees. Open microphone every Thursday evening from 7PM to 10PM..
- Mercantile Club, 427 Railroad St., Emmaus, (610) 965-3871. Private club founded in early 1900s and open only to members and their guests. Affordable meals and drinks. Daily entree specials. Various music entertainment and club events..
- Palace of India, 302 Main St., Emmaus, (610) 965-0466. Emmaus's only Indian restaurant.
- Perk on Main, 228 Main St., Emmaus, (610) 966-0203. Independent coffeehouse..
- Pickle's Steak House, 3941 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 966-1986. Steak house. The name comes from the fact that they serve pickles on the table in place of bread.
- Pizza World, 4030 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 966-8222. Pizza.
- Rossi's Pizza & Italian, 606 State Avenue, Emmaus, (610) 967-6050. Italian, pizza and other entrees.
- Superior Restaurant, State Road & Main Streets, Emmaus, (610) 965-5750. Diner.
- Sweet Memories, 180 Main St, ☎ 610-967-0296.
- Traub's Doggie, 251 Main St., Emmaus, (610) 967-5003, a small but well-known hot dog establishment next to Armetta's.
- Trivet, 4102 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 965-2838. Diner.
- True Blue Coffeehouse and Bakery, 1301 Chestnut St. Emmaus, (610) 966-8555. Variety of coffees, lattes and bakery items.
- Vera Cruz Cafe & Market, 3851 Main St. East, Emmaus, (610) 965-0772.
- Volpe's Sports Bar, 501 Broad St., Emmaus, (610) 965-0311. Recently renovated sports bar with broad food and beer selections. Several large rooms, including the bar area. Formerly known as the Broad Street Saloon, it is still among the top places to go in Emmaus for affordable drinks, food and televised sports.
- Wally's Deli, 1245 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 967-1347.
- Yocco's South, 4042 Chestnut St., Emmaus, (610) 967-5555. The Emmaus location is one of six Lehigh Valley Yocco's establishments. Widely considered among the best hot dogs in the nation. Dine-in, take-out or drive-through service. Yocco's also does mail delivery to those not in the immediate Lehigh Valley area..
For more places to eat around Emmaus and Lehigh Valley, visit the Allentown, Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) or Easton pages.
- FloreAnt Projects Gallery, 215 Main Street Emmaus, PA 18104 (Main Street Emmaus 50 yards from the farmers market), ☎ 610 421 8871, . call or website. "Sustainability Through The Art of Photography", seasonal photo shows, art photographs, locally grown lavender and lavender products, photo books
Nightclubs and bars
- Armetta's, 301 Main Street, Emmaus, (610) 967-3050. Separate bar with a friendly drinking atmosphere. Beer specials. Outside patio bar open during summer.
- Commix, 3245 Emaus Ave., Emmaus, (610) 797-9711. Historical but informal bar and restaurant on first floor of Revolutionary War-era hotel.
- The Pub on Main, 102 E. Main St., Macungie, (610) 966-2275. Live bands every Saturday night. Also has weekly ladies night (Thursday nights), DJs, and karaoke nights (Friday nights). Daily drink specials and $2 beer drafts. Has clubs for both the Philadelphia Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers. NFL Sunday Ticket games available during football season..
- Volpe's Sports Bar, 501 Broad St., Emmaus, (610) 965-0311. Recently renovated sports bar with over 10 large screen plasma televisions, including all out of town games. Broad food and beer selections. Several large rooms, including the bar area. Formerly known as the Broad Street Saloon, it is still among the top places to go in Emmaus for affordable drinks, beer and televised sports.
There are no hotels in Emmaus, but there are a handful nearby. Check out the listings on the Allentown page.
Other Lehigh Valley locations
Regional cities and locations