Dunagiri - also called Drongiri, Dronagiri and Doonagiri - is an area in Kumaon, an incredibly beautiful setting within the magnificent Himalayas. Touching an astounding 8,800 feet, the lush forest setting overlooks stunning snow peaks and a dramatically serene landscape.
Situated 400 km North of Delhi, it takes 10-11 hours to reach Dunagiri from Delhi. 100 km from Nainital, Dunagiri is 43 km from from Ranikhet and about 50 km from Kausani. One can travel to Rishikesh/Haridwar from Dunagiri in 6 hours. It takes 6 hours to travel from Dunagiri to Badrinath, to Valley of Flowers National Park or to the revered Hemkund Sahib. Dunagiri is within short driving distance of other popular destinations such as Jim Corbett Park, Almora, Mukteshwar, Bageshwar, Jageshwar, Munsiyari, Chaukori and Patal Bhuvaneshwar - all of these are under 5 hours drive from Dunagiri.
Dunagiri is also intimately associated with Mahavatar Babaji and Kriya Yoga. It was at Dunagiri in 1861 that Shyamacharan Lahiri, better known as Lahiri Mahashaya, was given initiation into Kriya Yoga and the discipline of Kriya Yoga was re-established in the world after having been ‘lost’ for centuries. This first meeting, spectacular and miraculous, occurred at a cave at Dunagiri. The full account of this meeting is well documented in the famous book “Autobiography of a Yogi” by Swami Yogananda Parahamsa (chapter 34-Materializing a Palace in the Himalayas). The cave at Dunagiri is well marked and is visited by thousands of pilgrims from all over the world.
Dunagiri is about 400 km North of Delhi in the Himalayas. It is close to (43 km) from the well known town of Ranikhet. One can reach here by road - you can drive, take a bus or a taxi; you can reach here by train - the closest station is Kathgodam which is connected to major Indian cities such as Delhi, Calcutta, Varanasi and Jammu or you can take a flight from Delhi to the nearest airport at Pantnagar Airport (PGH).
Altitude: Elevation: 7,000 to 8,300 feet. Position: Coordinates: 29°49'23"N 79°26'54"E Nearest town: Ranikhet Nearest airport: Pantnagar (airport code PGH) Nearest metro city: Delhi
Driving to Dunagiri from Delhi takes 10 to 11 hours. Take NH-24 out of Delhi, drive through Ghaziabad, Hapur, Garhmukteshwar, Moradabad, Rampur to Bilaspur, Rudrapur, Haldwani and Kathogodam. After Kathgodam is a scenic hill journey that takes you through Bhimtal, Bhowali, Ranikhet, Dwarahat to Dunagiri.
Another route from Moradabad to Dunagiri is via Kashipur Bazpur, Kaladhungi, Nainital to Bhowali, Ranikhet, Dunagiri is slightly shorter and more scenic, but you need to enquire road conditions before proceeding..
The nearest train station is Kathgodam. Drive to Dunagiri takes about four hours (140 km) through very picturesque lakes and hills. On prior notice we can arrange pick-up taxi from Kathgodam train station to Dunagiri Retreat.
- Trains from Delhi to Kathgodam (to reach Dunagiri):
- Train no. 15013 Ranikhet Express: Daily, leaves Delhi 10:35 pm, arrives 5.45 am
- Train no. 14012 Anand Vihar Kath. AC Exp.: Mon, Wed, Sun, leaves Delhi 6:00 am, arrives 11.55 am
- Train no. 15035 Uttarakhand Sampark Kranti Express: Daily, leaves Delhi 4:00 pm, arrives 10.40 pm
- Trains from Dehradun, Mussoorie, Haridwar, Rishikesh to Kathgodam(to reach Dunagiri):
- Train no. 14120 Dehradun Kath. Exp.: Leaves Dehradun 10:50 pm, Haridwar 00.10 am, arrives 7.10 am
- Trains from Kolkatta, Lucknow to Kathgodam(to reach Dunagiri):
- Train no. 13019 Bagh Express: Daily, leaves Howrah 9:45 pm, Lucknow 00.05 am, arrives 9.30 am
- Trains from Kanpur, Lucknow to Kathgodam(to reach Dunagiri):
- Train no. 12209 Kathgodam Garib Rath: Daily, leaves Kanpur 6:15 am, Lucknow 8.05 am, arrives 3.05 pm
- Trains from Jammu, Jalandhar, Ludhiana to Kathgodam(to reach Dunagiri):
- Train no. 12208 Kathg. Garib Rath : Daily, leaves Jammu 11:45 pm, Ludhiana 4.10 am, arrives 2.35 pm
The nearest airport is Pantnagar Aiport (PGH). There is a direct flight from Delhi to Dunagiri with a flying time of just one hour. This flight is operated by Kingfisher Red. Flight No. IT4363 leaves Delhi at 13.05, arrives Pantnagar at 14.05. Flight currently operates four days a week - Sun, Tue, Thur and Sat. From Pantnagar, on prior notice, we can help in arranging taxi to pick you up from the airport and bring you to Dunagiri Retreat. Taxi journey from Pantnagar airport to Dunagiri takes about 5.5 hours. Return flight leaves Pantnagar at 14.35 and reaches Delhi at 15.40
The best way to get around within Dunagiri is to walk! Local taxis, though limited in availability, can be hired to travel within the immediate area.
Dunagiri is within short driving distances to Nainital, Ranikhet, Kausani, Baijnath, Bageshwar, Almora, Binsar, Mukteshwar, Munsiyari, Chaukori, Patal Bhuvaneshwar, Joshimath, Badrinath, Valley of Flowers and Hemkund Sahib which makes it suitable for visitors to stay at Dunagiri and visit these places as 'day trips' or short excursions. Dunagiri's is centrally located with reference to these popular tourist destinations.
Positional Details of Dunagiri: Coordinates: 29°49'23"N 79°26'54"E
Dunagiri Distance Chart:
- Delhi to Dunagiri distance 400 km (10 hrs)
- Nainital to Dunagiri distance 100 km (3 hrs)
- Ranikhet to Dunagiri distance 43 km (1.5 hrs)
- Kausani to Dunagiri distance 50 km (2 hrs)
- Jim Corbett National Park to Dunagiri distance 136 km (4 hrs)
- Haldwani to Dunagiri distance 140 km (4.1 hrs)
- Kathgodam to Dunagiri distance 135 km (4 hrs)
- Dwarahat to Dunagiri distance 15 km (1 hr)
- Almora to Dunagiri distance 65 km (2.5 hrs)
- Binsar to Dunagiri distance 100 km (3.5 hrs)
- Jageshwar to Dunagiri distance 100 km (3.5 hrs)
- Mukteshwar to Dunagiri distance 120 km (4 hrs)
- Gwaldam to Dunagiri distance 88 km (3 hrs)
- Bageshwar to Dunagiri distance 88 km (3 hrs)
- Chaukori to Dunagiri distance 134 km (5 hrs)
- Munsyari to Dunagiri distance 200 km (7 hrs)
- Patal Bhuvaneshwar to Dunagiri distance 175 km (6 hrs)
- Karnaprayag to Dunagiri distance 115 km (3.5 hrs)
- Joshimath to Dunagiri distance 196 km (6 hrs)
- Badrinath to Dunagiri distance 240 km (7.5 hrs)
- Valley of Flowers to Dunagiri distance (Govindghat) 220 km (7 hrs)
- Hemkund Sahib to Dunagiri distance (Govindghat) 220 km (7 hrs)
Dunagiri temple, Mahavatar Babaji's Cave, Sukhadevi, Pandukholi, Garg Rishi Ashram, Mansadevi, Dwarahat ancient temples.
There are several options for treks, village walks, soft adventure, meditation and of course, spiritual practices.
Spring water from pure Himalayan sources, Organic milk.