Druskininkai is an official resort in Lithuania since 20 Jun 1794 when King Stanisław August Poniatowski declared it a sanatorium area.
It has a population of approximately 12 500.
Although Druskininkai was first mentioned in the written sources only in 1636, humans used to live here in as early as the Stone Age. On 20 June 1794, Grand Duke of Lithuania and King of Poland Stanislaw August Poniatowski decreed Druskininkai as a healing area. Until then, Druskininkai had been an ordinary Lithuanian village. After Ignatius Fonberg, the professor of Vilnius University, performed and published research of chemical composition of mineral water in 1837, Nicholas I, Emperor of Russia, approved the establishment project of Druskininkai resort. Middle of the 19th century – beginning of 20th century is considered to be the period of prosperity of the resort. Not only Druskininkai became a place of treating by using salty springs, mud, and kumis but a place for entertainment, as well. Concerts, theatre and dance performances took place here. In 1924-1939, the doctor E. Levicka’s Sun, Air and Exercising Procedure treatment facility (park) operated in Druskininkai. Nowadays, Druskininkai is an international all-yearround mineral water, mud and climate therapy resort.
Calcium and sodium chloride waters of different mineralization are found in the resort. They have a higher amount of magnesium and bromine according to their chemical composition, if compared with well-known European mineral waters that are used for treatment. The waters of mineral springs are highly effective in treating stomach, intestine, muscles, joints, spine, peripheral nerve system, cardiac and blood vessels, gynaecological, skin and endocrine system conditions.Many people have heard about the miraculous Druskininkai mud. Peat mud procedures feature thermal, mechanical and chemical effects. Moor mud is used for the treatment of connective tissue and skeleton muscles, digestive organs, articular, nervous, and urogenital and respiratory system diseases. Mild climate and ionised air is another curative factor of the resort. The air of Druskininkai is clean and highly ionised, as the town is surrounded by pine forests. The guests of Druskininkai may choose from traditional resort resources and methods, as well as from popular SPA services. Wide range of massages and wellness procedures, such as hot lava stone, nephrite jade stone, amber, buckwheat, salt, grape juice, milk, honey, chocolate, seaweed, and aromatic oil therapy are offered at the resort. Sanatoriums and SPA centres have treatment programs of various lengths and intensity.
There are three airports in Lithuania. Vilnius and Kaunas are the closest destinations from Druskininkai (about 130 km). From Palanga airport it is about 350 km.
You can reach Druskininkai by bus from all bigger towns. For timetables, please check here.
Choose the following roads: from Vilnius take roads A4, from Kaunas roads A1,129,A4 from Klaipėda roads A1, 129, A4 and from Poland road 133, 180. You can rent a car in every bigger Lithuanian town.
You can reach Klaipėda port by ferry and continue your journey in Lithuania via other means of transportation listed above.
- Dzukija national park
During the season, the sightseeing train will take you to the most beautiful places of the resort. This is a nice attraction for families with small children, as you can admire beautiful nature and the most popular object of the resort while sitting on a train.
- Guided boat trips down the river Nemunas Guided boat trips down the river Nemunas to a historic Liškiava Village. “DRUSKININKAI” is a big and comfortable boat for the tours or celebrations.
- Cable car way Druskininkai cable car operates all year round and is the only such cable way in Lithuania. This eco-friendly type of transportation prevents air pollution and is a great attraction for both children and adults. Four cabins can accommodate up to ten people each and will take you from the cable way station (near Druskininkai aqua park) to the other side of the Nemunas River (near winter sports complex “Snow Arena”) where you will be “flying” at a hight of 45 meters for over 7.5 minutes. During the journey you will be able to admire beautiful forests of Druskininkai, bends of the Nemunas River and a wonderful panorama of the town. We kindly invite you to visit Druskininkai and enjoy the spectacular scenery from the “bird’s eye view”!
- K. Dineika health park The park allures visitors with its history and traditions of treating with fresh air, water and sun. Visitors have a possibility to try out the old unique procedures: walk along the trails with marked distance, try out cascading bathing and saunas, ionic therapy, where ratio of positive and negative ions reaches 0.63, and foot acupuncture in acupressure pool. Families with children can ride along the new trails, have fun in the playground or exercise in specially equipped fields and the trail with exercise machines. The ones who prefer a restful stay may enjoy the sun and peaceful relaxation on medication and yoga terraces, while listening to the flow of Ratnyčėlė creek. They can also choose cozy pergolas and enjoy the aroma of rose bushes, chromotherapic flower gardens or healing fragrances of junipers. The park is tailored to the needs of various age groups. The entrance is free with exception of certain services at the air ion therapy pavilion, cascading water baths and sauna complex.
- Leipalingis Manor - is a cultural place that nurtures traditions of the past and history. The Central palace, designed by the famous architect Marcin Knackfus in the beginning of the 19th century, please the eye with symmetry and harmony. Another section, built as an addition by engineer Petras Balinskas in the beginning of the 20th century, is a witness of manor traditions and events of the last century. These days the manor houses Algirdas Volungevičius Museum of Regional Studies. Palaeontology, archaeology, history and ethnography exhibits tell us about the history of Leipalingis from the ancient times till nowadays. Various events, exhibitions and educational programs for adults and children take place at the museum.
- Boat trip A trip down the Nemunas River is a nice adventure and a possibility to get acquainted with the history of Druskininkai. You will see: DRUSKININKAI AQUAPARK, UNO PARK, SNOW ARENA, gondolas on the cable way of the Nemunas River. You will also see the Love (Meiles) Island and the captain will tell a legend about this island! We use comfortable pontoon boats Bentley or Nautic Star for the tours. Natural mineral water “Druskininkų HERMIS“ is offered on the trip. If the weather is cool, the boats can be covered.
- Musical Fountain The pearl of the park is Druskininkai Musical Fountain, the best choreographed fountain in the Baltics, illuminated by coloured lights. It shoots water into the air accompanied by a range of classical to contemporary world music. The fountain operates seven days a week during the high season (May – September) from 11.00 am to 11.00 pm every hour, e.g., 11.00, 12.00 etc. You can order a desirable fountain melody from 115 songs playlist via SMS.
Not only Druskininkai offer a quiet recreation, but an active entertainment, as well. Water parks invite you to enjoy the pleasures or water and different types of saunas.
Year-round winter entertainment complex features two enclosed downhill skiing trails and an outdoor trail, ski-school, go-kart track, snow bikes, and snow tubing. Adventure Park is a place for one to become a Tarzan. 9 treks with over 130 different contests await you in the centre of the town, on the bank of the Nemunas River. A unique Tarzan flight over the Nemunas River, a trek that is over 400 meters long, is installed above the largest river of Lithuania. It is the only place to try out the cable car, the eco-friendly form of transportation, which provides an opportunity to see the town from the birds-eye-view while on the way to the other bank of the Nemunas River. Scottish golf course was designed for the masters to demonstrate their excellence as well as for beginners to learn how to play. Professional golf coaches provide their services at the driving range, and Druskininkai children golf school can be found there as well. Tennis, beach tennis, squash, bowling, billiards and other sports lovers will find a convenient infrastructure and modern equipment in Druskininkai. Up-to-date extreme sports facilities, such as parkour and gymnastics spaces, BMX bike, skateboarding, roller skates and Scooter Park are offered in Youth Activity Centre. Bike trails along the pine forests start in the centre of town and lead to ethnographic village of Švendubrė, located close to the legendary Raigardas Valley, Grūtas park museum of soviet sculptures, Antanas Česnulis sculpture and Leisure Park and other places of interest. The sections of Sun Trail are suitable for regular and Nordic Walking. Nemunas river cruises allow tourist to admire picturesque banks of the Nemunas River and Love Island, and come to Liškiava Architectural Ensemble. Druskonis Lake is a perfect place for SUPing, and Alka Lake is great for wakeboarding.
There are a number of parks and nice public areas that are loved by locals and town guests: Karolis Dineika Health Park with old wellness traditions and Vijūnėlė Park with the sea of narcissus flowers that bloom every spring. The park of the health resorts entertains the guests with the dancing musical fountain of Druskininkai.
Druskininkai resort museum1
- The Museum of Druskininkai town, (in the centre of the town). houses a permanent exposition of the history of the resort, valuable iconography and archival material, hosts events, shows, chamber music concerts, meetings and conferences.situated in the centre of the town, in a representative building of the beginning of the 20th century, a villa LINKSMA (Jolly), which is also an object of architectural heritage. “”.
- M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Museum was founded in the house of the artist’s and composer’s M. K. Čiurlionis (1875–1911) parents, where he used to live and work. Authentic family belongings are displayed in two wooden houses, whereas the other building is a study of M. K. Čiurlionis biography and works. The museum Girios Aidas was established in 1971, in order to promote nature conservation and forestry. Expositions of animals and birds are presented at the museum. Witches, dwarfs and other fairy tale characters are hiding in hallow oak tree, and chirping birds and sighing forest can be heard.
- The gallery of classical art named after Lithuanian artist Vytautas Kazimieras Jonynas (1907-1997) presents the works of the creator: drawings, graphics, paintings and stained-glass projects, documentary about church interiors that have been created by the artist, and video footage. Druskininkai Resistance and Exile Museum features expositions of armed resistance, exile, unarmed resistance, and memorial room of Antanas Dambrauskas, former political prisoner and famous translator of antique literature. There are around 2000 exhibits at the museum: photos, documents, and crafts created during the exile and other relics from the exile and period of resistance. Grūto Parkas, the museum of Soviet sculptures is a legacy of Lithuanian monumental art that was marked with an expressive ideological content of this historical period. Audio-visual documentary material and the works of art of idealised Soviet propaganda and culture are presented at the exposition.
- A. Česnulis Gallery is a part of sculpture and leisure park that was named after this artist and presents his works. Wood carvings and compositions arranged around the park are only a small part of master’s creations. The works of Antanas Česnulis are unique, different and alive: various sculptures and compositions, roofed pillars and wayside shrines.
Druskininkai kindly invites the locals and guests of the resort to take part in all kinds of cultural event all year round. Every spring, Narcissus flower festival takes place in Druskininkai, and every summer starts with the largest town fiesta - Druskininkai resort festival. Musical weekends of the resort present the concerts of various genres of music all summer long. The lovers of classical music enjoy the international art festival “Druskininkai Summer with M. K. Čiurlionis”, “The Summer of Piano Music”, and the festival-contest “Music without Walls”. The lovers of ethnic culture are awaited at Shrove Tuesday, St. John’s (Midsummer), and Dainava Region folk festivals. Cultural heritage and gourmand dishes lure the visitors to come to Cheese festival and Tourism days. “Crossroad of Druskininkai Summer Theatre” and Animal sculpture festivals add theatrical atmosphere to the cultural life of the resort, and the festival “Poetic Autumn of Druskininkai” fill it with poetry. The festive mood of Druskininkai is created by the cycle of Christmas events that start with spectacular Christmas tree lighting ceremony and opening of Nativity scene and Christmas tree park. Wellness source resort is attractive for the lovers and participants of sports and wellness events and pet lovers. Druskininkai town is made famous by LTeam winter Olympic Winter Festival, International Friendship Marathon “Grodno-Druskininkai”, International Race Walk Competition, Lithuanian Rally Championship, various triathlon, basketball, volleyball, tennis, golf and football tournaments. K. Dineika Health Park invites the visitors for exercising and meditations all summer long, and pet lovers get together for international dog shows.
There are many of small souvenir and boutique shops in Druskininkai. There are also some large supermarkets and markets.
Potato pancakes with sour cream
A offer wide selection of foods for gourmands, from traditional cuisine to the Near East, Uzbek and French, and, of course, traditional Lithuanian cuisine in Druskininkai.
After tasting a Palestine falafel or potato pie with pork leg, you can enjoy Mediterranean menu in Vijūnėlė Park. They offer seafood and grill dishes, and home-made Italian ice cream. Once in Grūto Parkas, you should not miss an opportunity to taste the escargots, collected in Lithuania and prepared in café of the park. The guests of the resort are welcome to participate in educational programs that take place in nearby villages: demonstration baking of Lithuanian tree cake, honey tasting and folk venues. Cheese making program introduces production process of Lithuanian curd cheese, as well as various fermented, matured cheeses, and cheese with mold. Buns are baked in traditional oven, on the dried cabbage leaf, according to the old Dzukian recipe. Plov (rice pilaf) cooking championship is organized in the resort every year, and street markets offer delicious Lithuanian bread, organic cheeses and meat products.
Different types of accommodation can be found in Druskininkai. From luxurious hotels to private apartments, guest houses, sanatorium or camping.
- Villa Dzūkijos uoga (holiday accommodation), Viršurodukis village No 9,Dzūkija National Park (5 km from south of the A4 highway Vilnius-Druskininkai: 18km from Druskininkai), ☎ +37069963565, . checkin: 16:00; checkout: 11:00. Holiday home rentals in Lithuania's countryside at the territory of Dzūkija National park in Druskininkai neighbourhood. Villa "Dzūkijos uoga" is surrounded by pine tree forest and water. Countryside holiday home organizes great outdoor activities and attractions in Druskininkai surroundings: kayaking, trekking, mushroom hunting, wild nature tours and educational programs for families. Villa "Dzūkijos uoga" is a self catering accommodation for groups up to 18 guests. €37 per persons Min.8 pers. (54.086724,24.253847)
- Švendubrė - This is an old street-type village, an architectural monument, which was formed during Volok Reform (village was mentioned in the documents of the 16th century, in as early as 1620). The Devil’s rock on the outskirts of the village is an architectural monument. Wooden sculptures “Bell ringer”, “The Legend of Raigardas”, and “Shepherdess” picture the legends about appearance of the rock. Raigardas Valley is a scenic preserve, which was formed about 5,000 years ago when the bend of the Nemunas River shifted rightwise. It is being told that years ago a large city was present there and later on it was swallowed by the earth. Ratnyčia used to be the large centre of the parish with pubs and the church in the middle of the 19th century. The legend tells that the name of the village originates from the inscription “RATNYČIA” on the gate of the wheelwright’s house. J. Čečiota, the public figure, poet, collector of Belarus folklore, a comradein-arms of A. Mickevičius and editor of his works was laid to rest in the churchyard of the Church of St. Bartholomew the Apostle, located near Ratnyčia. Leipalingis is a small town that has been known for over 500 years. Leipalingis is made beautiful by the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven and Černiauskai Mound. Historic heart of the town, Leipalingis Manor was a residential manor of Lithuanian nobles, and a witness of their ups and downs, which was brought to a new life once again. A. Volungevičius Museum of Regional Studies was established in the premises of the manor. The exposition consists of geology, archaeology, and ethnography exhibits. The prints published in Tilsit during the years of press ban, and passports of Tsarist Russia, German participants of the First and the Second World War and citizens of independent Lithuania are preserved there. Liškiava is the village of the 15th century, situated on the left bank of the Nemunas River. The remains of masonry castle that was started but not finished after the Battle of Grunwald can be found on the top of Liškiava Mound. You can visit Liškiava architectural ensemble, which consists of former Dominican Monastery and the Church of Holy Trinity with exposition of liturgical heritage arranged in the cellars. The pipe organ of 1899 that was built in honour of the visit of Seinai bishop A. Baranauskas can be found in the church. An organ was played by K. Čiurlionis (1851-1914), a father of famous artist M. K. Čiurlionis.