YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!

Difference between revisions of "Driving in Australia"

From Wikitravel
Jump to: navigation, search
Driving in Australia

Default Banner.jpg

Line 34: Line 34:
In case of an accident involving injury or death to any person, the police and appropriate emergency response authorities must be contacted. Phone the Australian emergency number '''000'''.  The GSM standard emergency number '''112''' also works from any mobile phone.  112 will use any available network and will work even with an overseas GSM phone without roaming enabled.  Emergency numbers from other countries (such as 911) do not work in Australia.
In case of an accident involving injury or death to any person, the police and appropriate emergency response authorities must be contacted. Phone the Australian emergency number '''000'''.  The GSM standard emergency number '''112''' also works from any mobile phone.  112 will use any available network and will work even with an overseas GSM phone without roaming enabled.  Emergency numbers from other countries (such as 911) do not work in Australia.
The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident in which a person may be injured or killed or there is serious property damage is egally ;;;required'' to stop and render assistance. The penalties for leaving an accident scene can be severe (up to 10 years' imprisonment), even if you are not at fault. You must contact appropriate emergency authorities, but you are not required to give first aid if you have not had training.
The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident in which a person may be injured or killed or there is serious property damage is legally ''required'' to stop and render assistance. The penalties for leaving an accident scene can be severe (up to 10 years' imprisonment), even if you are not at fault. You must contact appropriate emergency authorities, but you are not required to give first aid if you have not had training.
Persons rendering first aid in good faith in Australia are protected by law and are not at risk of legal action against them. If you can help at an accident scene, always do so.
Persons rendering first aid in good faith in Australia are protected by law and are not at risk of legal action against them. If you can help at an accident scene, always do so.

Revision as of 02:37, 5 August 2010

    This article is a travel topic


Driving in Australia is an experience to be savoured. The wide-open spaces and magnificent natural scenery is well taking the time to visit. This guide aims to fully prepare drivers for an Australian driving experience.


Speed and distance in Australia are measured in kilometres and kilometres per hour. Australians drive on the left-hand side of the road.

Most Australians live on the coast. Roads within and between the cities and major towns are generally reliable and in good condition, as are the main highways that join the state and territory capital cities. Although highways between major cities are well-maintained, motorists may still travel for hundreds of kilometres between towns or road houses with limited opportunities to refuel, get water, refreshments, or use toilets. Road conditions can be difficult in remote areas and the large and less populated areas in the middle of Australia (the "Outback"). Not all roads are sealed, and some may not be passable in certain seasons or weather conditions. Motorists need to be self-sufficient and prepared when travelling in remote areas. Permits may also be required to travel through certain remote locations.

Australian cars have predominately automatic transmission, although manual (stick-shift) is still common in cheaper or smaller cars, as well as some trucks and 4-wheel drives. When hiring a car, there should be no trouble finding an automatic transmission unless you opt for the cheapest model. The gear sticks in a manual transmission are operated by the left hand. The arrangement of the pedals is standard worldwide.

Legal issues and safety

Driving is regulated by state government authorities, but there is a consistent set of road rules across Australia.


Drivers in Australia require a valid driving licence. Foreign licences in English are considered valid for driving in Australia for visitors for three months. If your licence is not in English, an International Driving Permit which is issued in your home country before arrival in Australia is required.

Australian licenses are issued by the respective state and territory governments. Visitors with licenses from Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States may convert their foreign licenses to an Australian one after paying an administrative fee. All other foreign license holders are required to sit for a theory and practical test before they can get an Australian license.

Seat belts

Use of seat belts is compulsory for drivers and all vehicle passengers, and infants must be secured with approved safety capsules and harnesses. Seatbelt laws are enforced, and the onus is on the driver to ensure all passengers are buckled. Penalties apply to the driver of the vehicle, and include demerit points which may lead to license suspension. A fine of around $250 per unsecured driver or passenger will apply.

Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs

The blood alcohol limit is 0.05% throughout Australia. Learner and provisional drivers are not permitted to have any alcohol in their system whilst driving.

Police conduct random breath tests along both major routes and back streets, both in cities and in the country. A driver does not have to be driving suspiciously or have committed any driving offence to be stopped by police for a random breath test.

If you are caught driving under the influence of alcohol, you will have to make a court appearance. For a first offence, a fine and a period of suspension would normally be imposed if there are no aggravating circumstances. Refusing a random breath test is also an offence and similar penalties apply as for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Also, random drug testing is in place in Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania.


In case of an accident involving injury or death to any person, the police and appropriate emergency response authorities must be contacted. Phone the Australian emergency number 000. The GSM standard emergency number 112 also works from any mobile phone. 112 will use any available network and will work even with an overseas GSM phone without roaming enabled. Emergency numbers from other countries (such as 911) do not work in Australia.

The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident in which a person may be injured or killed or there is serious property damage is legally required to stop and render assistance. The penalties for leaving an accident scene can be severe (up to 10 years' imprisonment), even if you are not at fault. You must contact appropriate emergency authorities, but you are not required to give first aid if you have not had training.

Persons rendering first aid in good faith in Australia are protected by law and are not at risk of legal action against them. If you can help at an accident scene, always do so.

Motoring groups

Each State and Territory has a separate motoring group which offers roadside breakdown assistance, as well as comprehensive road maps, tourist guides, and useful motoring advice from their numerous branch offices. You need to purchase an annual membership in one of these associations to qualify for roadside assistance, but this can be done when lodging a call for help (with an additional fee). Each State association has reciprocal arrangements with the others, so a single membership will do for all of Australia. If you are a member of the local motoring group in your home country, you might be entitled to free reciprocal assistance such as maps from the various motoring groups in Australia. Check with your local motoring group before you leave to be sure.

  • New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory: NRMA [1]
  • Victoria: RACV [2]
  • Queensland: RACQ [3]
  • South Australia: RAA [4]
  • Western Australia: RAC [5]
  • Tasmania: RACT [6]
  • Northern Territory: AANT [7]

A different level of coverage with a higher fee is usually required to ensure useful assistance in remote areas.


A mobile speed camera in Victoria. The cars used are completely unmarked, and there is no sign the vehicle is a speed camera car coming from behind.

Speed cameras are used in all states and territories of Australia, with some states using hidden cameras, others preferring obviously placed ones. The strictest place for speed limit enforcement is Victoria, with speed cameras being hidden in unmarked cars and having low tolerance for excess speed. Police speed traps, and mobile patrols also pull over cars for exceeding the speed limit. Exceeding the speed limit by 10km/h or so will usually result in you being sent a fine notice of around $200 (and demerit points if driving on an Australian licence). Exceeding the speed limit by more than 30km/h can result in a court appearance and possible criminal conviction.

Cameras also monitor red lights, and a similar fine will result.

Drug or alcohol offences invariably result in a court appearance, and a criminal conviction may result.

Many Australian drivers drive a little over the speed limit, but large differences in traffic speeds from the signposted limits are uncommon.

Fine notices are invariably sent to overseas addresses. Rental car companies often charge an administration fee if fines are incurred, and will pass your name on to the debt collection authorities. Your fine won't generally be pursued outside Australia, but you should consider the consequences if you wish to drive in Australia in the future.

City driving

Traffic in Australia's major cities can be congested. As in any other place, it pays to avoid driving in or around the Central Business District (CBD) during peak times when everyone is trying to get from or to work.

Melbourne trams

A hazard unique to Melbourne's CBD and the inner suburbs are trams (streetcars). Melbourne is known for its extensive tram network. There are some tram-related rules which may not be immediately obvious.

Normally, cars drive over the tram tracks, and there will be a dotted yellow lane marker left of the "tram lane". The dotted yellow marker means cars are permitted to drive in the tram lane. Sometimes, there will be a solid yellow line next to the tram lane. This indicates that cars are not permitted to drive in the tram lane. In this case, there is often a sign overhead, in the gantry above the road that indicates possible times when cars are not permitted to drive in that lane.

Tram passengers have right of way when crossing the road to or from a tram. Do not drive a vehicle past a tram at a stop, unless the tram is stopped at a cordoned off stop with barriers.

Related to the tramways is the "hook turn" which is unique in Australia to Melbourne's CBD. As many roads in Melbourne's CBD have tram tracks, turning right (remember, Australians drive on the left) suddenly presents a problem, as while you are waiting to turn, you would be in the tram lane, holding up several trams. To get around this problem, the "hook turn" was invented. This involves turning right from the left lane. Here is how to execute a hook turn:

  1. Approach the intersection in the left lane, and indicate to turn right.
  2. Proceed into the intersection as far left as possible (avoiding the pedestrian crossing). Moving across until you end up being perpendicular to traffic which is heading in the direction you want to be (who are waiting at a red light).
  3. Observe the traffic lights to your right. Once green, you turn to your right and proceed as normal.

Signs indicating whether a hook turn is necessary are hung off tram power lines at the intersection. Do not attempt a hook turn at other intersections.

Speed limits

Speed limits are signposted at regular intervals, and can change frequently. A default 50km/h speed limit applies in urban areas with street lights in the very rare event that there is no signposted speed. Signposted school zones have a 40km/h limit during school travel hours, which is signposted, with South Australian school zones being 25km/h. In Queensland, school zones on roads with higher speed limits may also be signposted at 60km/h or 80km/h. Victoria also has 60km/h school zones on roads with higher speed limits.

Traffic signals

It is illegal to turn left on a red traffic signal. It is illegal to do a U-turn at a traffic signal unless there is a sign explicitly permitting it except in Victoria where you can do a U-turn at any intersection.


Overtaking is permitted in a lane either to the left or right of the car you are passing. However, it is illegal for a car to remain in the right hand lane on a road with a signposted speed above 80km/h unless overtaking.


Parking in major cities can be difficult, especially in the CBD and around tourist areas, such as beaches. Even smaller towns may have parking hassles on popular market days and for events.

Commercial parking lots charge are common in capital cities centres, and operate on an hourly basis on weekdays, and often charging a flat fee on weekends or evenings. These can be very expensive in the CBD area.

Cities often have council operated on-street parking that involves a fee payable. There is either a meter that corresponds to the spot in which you have parked, or a ticket machine to buy a ticket from. These spots will have a sign indicating the maximum amount of time you can park there (paying the appropriate fee), and at what times the fee operates. Feeding meters (staying longer than the posted time by returning to the meter or ticket machine, and inserting more money or buying another ticket) is illegal and will result in the same fine as not paying the fee.

Parking is policed sporadically, with some areas regularly patrolled and others rarely, but you are never entirely safe parking illegally. Fines are of the order of $100.

Areas signposted as clearways, prohibit parking during peak times. Parked cars will be often be towed, adding a $100 recovery charge, and considerable hassle.

Areas marked as no stopping, or bus zones or taxi zones are illegal to stop in, even to pick up and drop off. Areas marked as no standing or no parking zones are those in which you may pick up and drop off, but you can't leave your car.

If you are willing to park a few blocks away and walk, it is often possible to find free on-street parking in residential areas near some attractions.

Major capitals usually have good public transport within the CBD itself, and this is an alternative to driving between CBD locations once parked.


Some motorways, bridges, and tunnels in major cities require payment of tolls of up to $8. In some cases, a cash payment can be made at tollbooths on the road, but there is an ongoing trend to automating toll collection with the use of radio transponders installed in vehicles. Some roads have facilities to collect tolls only electronically in this way. If you drive on such a road without a transponder, a photo is taken of your vehicle's number plate, and you have a day to phone a number or visit a website and arrange payment (plus an additional processing fee) before a fine is issued. Toll roads are clearly signposted and many offer opportunities to exit before reaching the tolling point to take an untolled route.

Avoiding toll roads may save you a few dollars, but you may pay in extra travel time, fuel cost, and navigation difficulties, particularly during peak travel times. If hiring a car, ask the agency for advice on toll roads.


If you encounter a roundabout and are from a country that doesn't have many of them, like the United States of America, here's a quick guide:

Give way. Give way to vehicles already on the roundabout: enter the intersection only when there is no risk of collision with a car on the roundabout coming from your right. On most roundabouts, this effectively means that you give way to cars coming from your right, cars coming from the opposite direction and turning right, and cars on your left going all the way around the roundabout.

Indicate. When two roads cross at a small roundabout, indicate left to go left, right to go right, and do not indicate if going straight. On a larger roundabout with more exits, don't indicate left until you are taking the next exit.

Select your lane. On multiple lane roundabouts arrows will usually be on the road indicating which lane you should choose to go which direction. Otherwise, just take the left lane to go left, right lane to go right, and either lane to go straight. Bicycles may stay in the left lane and go right, but if they choose to do this, they must give way to vehicles in the right lane exiting.

Rural driving

Outside of major cities and the coastal routes between some state capitals, Australian highways are mainly two-lane undivided sealed asphalt roads. While less than 15% of Australia's population lives in regional and rural areas, about 60% of fatal accidents occur on these roads because the speeds are freeway-like (speed limits vary between 100km/h and 130km/h) but the conditions are more dangerous than freeways because there is no barrier or division from oncoming traffic.

Some rural highways have regular overtaking lanes but on others you will need to pass slower traffic by pulling into the right hand lane (the one with oncoming traffic). Obviously, this should be done when there is no actual oncoming traffic and when you have plenty of visibility, and should be done as quickly as possible. Do not ever overtake by pulling off the road to the left as Australian drivers won't anticipate this even if the shoulder is sealed, and it is very dangerous and illegal to drive onto an unsealed shoulder.

Some less major rural roads and outback roads are unsealed gravel roads. These are harder to drive on at high speeds and you will have to contend with the odd stone being thrown up. Windscreen damage is not unusual. Typically, rental car companies do not allow their cars to be taken off sealed roads, even if the unsealed road is an official minor road. Many gravel roads in the south are in good condition and experienced drivers tend to drive on them as fast as they would on the sealed roads. When on gravel it is essential to slow down well before a corner or you risk skidding as you turn. Loose or drifting gravel also poses a hazard as it will pull at your tyres. If you feel you are losing control on gravel, slow down, but try to avoid braking sharply. Roads in the northern tropics are often sandy, rocky or corrugated.

When you are driving on Australia's open roads you may see dead animals on the side of the road. The fact is, quickly swerving or braking heavily could cause a much more serious accident. Sundown and sunrise are times to be on the alert through the Australian bush, as well as regions where you will encounter water sources like rivers and reservoirs, or the plains surrounding mountain ranges.

If you come across multiple tyre marks on the road, this could suggest that animals regularly use this part of the road as a crossing, so just be a little more aware, and also, using the high beam head lights at night, will make it harder for an animal to find an appropriate escape route, so practice flicking them off for animals as well as for on coming traffic.

Slow down when approaching cattle grids as these may be bent, broken or deeply potholed on the approaches. Severe tyre damage or a broken spring can result from speeding over these grids. Leave gates shut or open as you have found them.

Do not enter creek or gully crossings without first checking for depth, dips and holes and finding the shallowest path. Water crossings in northern Australia (Far North Qld, Kimberley, Top End) are often inhabited by crocodiles so it is not advisable to walk these rivers. Vehicles are washed away more easily than most people realise.

Mobile (cell) phone coverage will probably be highly intermittent even on relatively major highways unless you are near a population centre. Check the coverage of the network you are using.

If you can budget for it, a mobile phone car kit with an external antenna can increase your range. Again, consult the coverage charts to see where an external antenna may help.

  • Telstra Mobile coverage maps [8]

Some mountain and tableland areas of NSW and Victoria are noted for having very frosty nights that may cause diesel to solidify in vehicles causing the engine to stop or run abnormally. Usually vehicles will run normally without intervention, when the morning warms, at about 9:00 a.m.


Outside of major centres, do not assume that fuel will be available late at night, in the early morning, or in some cases even on a Sunday. Even on some major regional roads, roadhouses can close late at night. If you are planning a long drive overnight, make sure you know where and when you are going to get fuel.

Speed limits

Maximum speeds vary between states and are usually signposted.

Where there is no signposted speed in country areas with no street lights, the default limit also varies between states. In Victoria, Tasmania, New South Wales and Queensland the default speed limit is 100km/h. In South Australia the default speed limit is 100km/h, though most major rural roads are 110km/h. In Western Australia and the Northern Territory the default speed limit is 110km/h, with the Northern Territory having speed limits of up to 130km/h on major highways away from urban areas.

Road markings

The dividing markings on the road indicate if overtaking is legal. A broken dividing line indicates that you may move to the other side if the road to overtake if it is clear. A solid or double solid dividing line indicates that no overtaking is allowed and you may only move over to the other side to avoid an obstruction. A broken line next to a solid line means that you may move to the other side of the road to overtake if you are driving on the side of the broken line but not if you're driving on the side of the solid line.

A centre road marking appears to same as a lane dividing marking. It can be sometimes impossible to tell if you are on a two lane one-way road, or a two way road, just by looking at the current section of road, as the line markings are the same. This can be a hazard when divided roads change to single carriageway roads, and you have to remember what type of road you are currently on. If unsure, just stay left.

Distances can be a problem for the unprepared

Be wary of your fuel

Australia is a very big country, and while driving is a fun and interesting way to get around, you have to remember that it is a long long way to get from point A to point B. Taking the capital cities as an example, it is easy to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide in a day (9 h), and not very much further to Canberra (7.5 h) but driving from Melbourne to Sydney is a good 10 h solid driving. If you want to drive to Perth from Melbourne, you must use the Eyre Highway and cross the Nullarbor Plain, which means driving for approximately 3500 km, including 2000 km on a virtually dead straight, totally flat road with only a few roadhouses, sometimes hundreds of kilometres apart. You will have to spend at least one night on the road, so book in advance. The general advice is to have a rest every two hours 'Stop, Revive, Survive'. You should also be wary of your fuel, distances between fuel supplies can be extreme, even on main roads. Check that you have a map indicating gas stations, as outback communities do not always have fuel supplies.

There is little traffic on those back roads, but what there is will consist of a fair proportion of road trains (semi-trailers towing up to three trailers). They won't brake, as their effective stopping distance is far too great.

As an example, here are the distances from one state capital to another:

Driving times
Cities Route Distance
SydneyMelbourne Hume Highway (National Highway 31) through Albury-Wodonga 860km
Princes Highway (National Highway 1) through Batemans Bay 1043 km
SydneyBrisbane Pacific Highway (National Highway 1) through Coffs Harbour 964km
New England Highway (National Highway 15) through Tamworth and Armidale 1018km
SydneyAdelaide Hume and Sturt Highways (National Highways 31 and 20) through Wagga Wagga and Mildura 1410km
Mitchell and Barrier Highways (National Highway 32) through Dubbo and Broken Hill 1659km
MelbourneBrisbane Newell Highway (National Highways 31, 39, 42 and 15) through Dubbo 1681km
MelbourneAdelaide Western and Dukes Highways (National Highways 8 and 1) through Horsham 724km
Princes Highway (National Highway 1) through Mt Gambier 912km
BrisbaneAdelaide Newell, Oxley and Mitchell Highways (National Highways 15, 42, 39, 34 and 32) through Moree and Broken Hill 2031km
Stuart Highway (National Highways 87 and 1) through Alice Springs 3019km
AdelaidePerth Eyre and Great Eastern Highways (National Highways 1 and 94) through Ceduna and Norseman 2695km
PerthDarwin Brand, North-West Coastal, Great Northern, Victoria and Stuart Highways (National Highway 1) through Roebourne and Katherine 4166km
SydneyPerth Hume, Sturt, Eyre and Great Eastern Highways (National Highways 31, 20, 1 and 94) through Wagga Wagga, Mildura, Port Augusta, Ceduna and Norseman 3942km


Australia is the land of kangaroos, emus, wombats, feral camels, horses, and cattle. Sometimes these animals wander onto roadways. Kangaroos in particular will leap across roadways directly in front of vehicles, and are more likely to hop along the roadway than hop off it. Emus also run across roads and have no sense of how to get out of the way of a car. Off the main highways many roads run adjacent to farms that are unfenced, and stock on the road are common. Many animals caught in headlights come to a complete halt, but a short blast on the car horn may help startle them into moving off the road. Briefly switching off your headlights may also encourage them to move on. Most animal collisions occur at dusk, at dawn, or at night when some animals are more active less visible.

Drive carefully when you spot these big animals and be ready to use your brakes. Swerving to avoid an animal can also lead to fatalities, so if the choice is between hitting the animal or potentially losing control of the vehicle, hit the animal.

Most car hire firms impose a curfew on driving after sunset in Western Australia and the Northern Territory. Often a collision with an animal has a higher excess (deductible) than other collisions. Away from cities and main highways try to be at your destination before nightfall. If forced to travel at night, keep your speed down.

Many vehicles in the bush have "bull bars", a rigid steel frame, in front of the radiator. These are to protect passengers and the vehicle in the event of a collision with an animal. They do not discriminate and add to the risks on the road.

If you do hit a native animal, stop if it is safe to do so. There are trained wildlife rescue groups in each state who care for injured and orphaned animals.

  • NSW wildlife rescue, 1300 094 737. WIRES
  • Victorian wildlife rescue, 1300 094 535.

Outback driving

Road signs at Tilpa, NSW

If you are driving in the outback, be prepared for anything. There is little traffic, so it is unlikely that anyone will be able to stop and help you should you break down. There are few towns/petrol stations etc, so motorists need to make sure that they carry adequate and surplus amounts of food, water and fuel. The interior of Australia is a true desert, so if your vehicle has no air conditioning, you could suffer from common day time temperatures of 45°C (113°F) and past 50°C (122°F) on really hot days. Night time temperatures can drop to freezing.

Depending upon the estimated time of travel and the remoteness of the roads, it is wise to take at least 10 L of drinking water per person per day of travel, and an additional 3-5 days of extra drinking water per person, in case of breakdown. Do not have all of your water in one container at any time. Shade material and very thick warm blankets are also important survival tools. A box of matches or cigarette lighter should always be carried when intending to travel into isolated areas. A fire can provide warmth and can be very helpful in attracting attention if lost or stranded.

Do not expect your mobile (cell) phone to work if you are in the outback. While efforts have been made to 'cover' the populated areas, large areas of the country do not have service. If you really go to the back of beyond it is a good idea to buy or rent a two-way HF radio (the Royal Flying Doctor Service web page lists outlets they can be hired from), a satellite phone, or a PLB (distress radiobeacon.)

Many outback unsealed roads require a true four-wheel-drive vehicle for safe passage. One that is especially prepared for the trip with suitable equipment depending on the length, isolation, and roughness of the track. Advanced planning is required for such trips, you cannot just hire a passenger sedan and go! An SUV or soft road vehicle is not always suitable for roads marked as requiring a four wheel drive. It can be sometimes difficult to tell from maps whether a road is graded with gravel, or whether it is just formed sand.

Temperatures can be extremely hot during the day, and can drop drastically once night falls. Always go to the local police station when you are going off the sealed (paved) highway, and tell them where you are going and how long you expect to take. This will help them to look for you if you are stranded. Never ever leave your car when it breaks down in the middle of nowhere. In case of a long wait, it gives you shelter and it is a lot easier to spot than a person walking in the bush. Also, a person uses about four times as much water when walking, and Australia is a dry country.

Beware of potholes and corrugations on gravel roads. Potholes are not always visible on sandy roads. The road surface might seem quite even, but hidden potholes hit with sufficient speed can overturn a car. Corrugations are wavelike formations that form on a road surface when enough cars have been driven over it. At low speeds the car will be shaken to a degree that's almost unbearable. At higher speeds there is a risk of losing control over the steering wheel. In most cases, a speed of 50-60 km/h is a happy medium; not too slow and not too fast. Do not try to steer around lizards as the car is likely to become unsteerable with a high chance of crashing.

Dust can also be a problem on unpaved roads, and heavy vehicles travelling at high speed often leave a trail of dust behind them, severely impairing visibility in vehicles behind them. As a precaution, do not tailgate. The significantly reduced visibility in dust storms caused by vehicles in front can have deadly consequences.

Some two-way paved roads have only one lane paved, right down the middle. When approaching another car both of you are expected to move left off the bitumen onto the dirt at the side of the road, pass, and then move back onto the black. Be wary immediately after passing, as the other car will have stirred up a huge dust cloud which will lower visibility for several seconds.

Bulldust is a fine talcum powder-like dust that is very common on outback Australian tracks. Patches of bulldust look like smooth hard patches but in fact it usually is a fine covering of dust over a deep hole. Driving through bulldust at speed is very dangerous and must be avoided. It can cause damage if sucked into engines too, so in very dusty areas you should have a filter on your air intake and check it regularly.

Pay particular attention to the weather forecasts in outback areas and be prepared to stay put for a while if the weather sets in. Unsealed outback roads, especially, can be closed with little notice in the wet, isolating communities, at any time of year. Creek crossings are very common on outback roads, with dry creek beds. These creeks rise quickly after rain and can become impassable for several days. In the the rain bulldust turns into a clay, which fills your wheel rims and can bring a two-wheel drive or a motorcycle to a grinding halt. Scraping out the bulldust and a bit of a push can sometimes get you on your way again, but it can be very tough going.

Driving hazards: a semi trailer and road victim

Road trains

Road trains are a special hazard on Australian roads. These leviathans can reach lengths of up to 55 m, with up to four trailers, so treat them with care and respect.

Oncoming road trains should be given all the space they need. On asphalt roads, you should slow down and drive partly on the road shoulder if possible.

A road train coming up behind you should often be allowed to pass as well. When they overtake you at high speeds, they would often create a "vortex" which sucks you towards them. Therefore, be alert and stay in control of the vehicle at all times. In many cases overtaking a road train is not a good idea. If you have to do it, be sure to choose a nice long stretch of straight road where you can make sure that there's no oncoming traffic for about 2 km. On gravel roads there's only one piece of advice: don't.

When behind a truck on a long stretch of road, many truck drivers will indicate to you that there is no traffic ahead and therefore safe to overtake by flicking the right indicator light on once or twice. Treat this signal with caution as sometimes there is not enough space between you and the next oncoming car. Use your common sense. If you are equipped with a CB radio, you may be able to talk to the truckie and confirm the condition of the road ahead for safe overtaking.

Staying awake

Once you are outside the metropolitan areas, traffic tends to thin out and driving becomes relatively boring. The long straight stretches, the slowly changing scenery, and the fine weather on many through routes can be a recipe for drowsiness. Make sure you stop every couple of hours and, if possible, change drivers. On some routes local service clubs provide coffee and there are bill boards with road safety advice. These are there for a reason. People die on those routes from drivers falling asleep.

When you arrive in Australia allow for "jet lag". Do not leave your car heater or air-conditioner switched to "recycle" as this can make you drowsy and watch for other signs of fatigue (blurred vision, yawning). On summer evenings, you can usually leave the windows open, for the fresh air and smell of the bush.

Wet season

In the north of Australia, the period from November (sometimes even October) to March is considered the Wet Season. Many remote communities (and even some major towns on the Queensland coast) are completely isolated during the Wet, unless they have a landing strip for light aircraft. Rivers that are dry at other times of the year can overflow their banks due to extremely high rainfall.

Sometimes, bridges are washed out, or dirt roads are turned into muddy quagmires. Water levels can rise quickly from nothing to flooding. Notably, the Bruce Highway, which is the main road from Brisbane up through the Queensland coast to Cairns, is notorious for being cut for days at a time in many areas, mostly near Innisfail and Tully, which are both just south of Cairns.

Travellers intending to drive around the North should contact local authorities beforehand as they will know the most about local conditions. They will also be the poor sods called out to rescue you if you get stuck, so be polite. In Queensland, it is possible to go from Cairns to Cooktown via Mareeba or Mossman using an inland route, which is fully sealed and suitable for normal cars. If you intend to take the coastal route (starting just north of Cape Tribulation), you can't do it whenever it is raining, unless you have a serious four-wheel drive, preferably equipped with a snorkel.

If travelling around the north on unsealed (unpaved) roads, a powerful four-wheel drive vehicle is a must. Being bogged in the middle of the Outback can be fatal if one is not properly prepared.

See also


This is a guide article. It has good, detailed information covering the entire topic. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!