Dresden is the capital of the German federal state of Saxony (Sachsen), population 507,691. Located on the Elbe River, it is an industrial, governmental, and cultural center.
The official sightseeingtour:
- Zwinger Palace.
- Semper Opera House.
- Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady).
- Albertinum Museum.
- Gläserne Manufaktur.
Dresden from an other point of view:
- Dresden Neustadt -- very nice, lively part of the town
- check out the Bunte Republik Neustadt in June
- River Side (Elbwiesen): Go to the (mostly) green river side, especially in hot summer evenings/nights - very nice view of the old parts and lot of people doing sports and party.
- Great Garden (Großer Garten): It also recommendend to relax and sports (rollerblades are very common)