Covering an area in a valley between a mountainous area Drama is a central city in Northern Greece known for a number of events and sights around it. Taking its name from the Greek word "Ydrama" which roughly translates to "water park" Drama is a place of rare natural beauty and unique character.
You can travel to Kavala international airport and then catch a bus to Drama.
The best way to reach Drama is by the bus,frequently travelling from Thessaloniki (15euro for a single ticket). You can take the bus at the central bus stations, called "KTEL" (Greek national busservice) from Thessaloniki (around 2 hours, 15 euro) or Kavala. The bus station in Drama is about 3 minutes from the center near "plateia elefterias" (freedom square) the main square.
The nearest harbour is Kavala, mainly serving the routes between Kavala-Thassos, Kavala-Lemnos-Lesbos-Athens.
One of the best things in Drama is the outstanding natural beauty of the surrounding areas. This might be tricky to reach and Drama does no get the tourism it deserves therefore it is best reached by car. But if you are thinking of seeing a part in Greece that is not spoiled by tourism then this area is for you. In the city there are cozy restaurants and Ouzo places as well as a booming nightlife of very luxurious cafe-bars for the size of the city. There are also a number of nightclubs some near the area of the center and some a little further out of the city center.
In the north of the main square, around 30 minutes by foot there is a small hill that you can take a hike, on the top of the hill there is a coffee shop. On the east of the city there are a number of old churches, some with old decorations and paintings of byzantine style.
- Stalactite cave of Maras. The cave is located near the village of Aggitis, about 25 km northwest of Drama. It is characterized by the special nature of an underground river course, which is why only stalactites, but none can stalagmites be found here. See: www.showcaves.com/english/gr/showcaves/Maara.html
- Limestone Cave of Alistrati. One of the most beautiful limestone caves of northern Greece near the village of Alistrati, about 30 km from Drama direction Seres. See: www.alistraticave.gr/index.cfm?lang=en
- Rhodope Mountains National Park: it can be reached from from the village Paranesti or the village Sidironero. It is a huge sparsely populated mountain area with fantastic landscapes, lakes, waterfalls and remarkable flora and fauna. The best information about this area, in which only a few tourists get lost, are unfortunately in Greek and only few in English (www.fdor.gr/index.php, partetavouna.blogspot.gr). Most attractions can be reached by dirt roads only, which in the summer are also accessible with a normal car if you drive carefully.
- The Falakro (2223 m above sea level) is one of the highest mountains of Greece and one of the "must see" attractions of the area near Drama, located in a region with impressive high forested mountains and rich water resources. The area is suitable for skiing
Do go for a coffee on one of the luxurious coffee places and do eat at a local taverna. Drama is well known for its night life which attracts lots of people from surrounding cities. There are also an archaological museum and a religion history museum in the city. Surrounding the city there are a number of archeological sites, including the "philipoi" ancient theater. This is an operational theater and remakes of ancient Greek theater plays are played here.
Do visit the Archeological sites surrounding the city and do see some very interesting forests in the surrounding mountains.
Volunteering work in the area of Drama is possible during the christmas period where the central square is transformed into a theme park known as "oneiroupoli" (city of dreams), you can contact the city municipality for information.
Drama has a very competitive market for its size and you can find practically anything you would expect in a major city. The market is closely packed together surrounding the main square.
There are number of places to eat in Drama. The quality of the food offered is very good and since the city is virtually tourist-free you can expect to have a decent meal for a normal price
- Restaurant/Taverna To Hani (To Xani), Venizelou 47, Drama (From the main square (plateea) of Drama, head up towards 'Mitropoly' via Venizelou - we are located on the left (aristera plevra) side of the road.), ☎ 00302521300996, . Midday til late. Serves a wide range of meals including Grilled, Cooked and Specialist dishes to suit all age ranges and tastes. edit
- 'Prin To Hani (To Xani)', Venizelou 47 (Located in front of restaurant/taverna 'To Hani (To Xani)'.), ☎ 00302521055755. 10.00am til late. Traditional souvlaki sandwiches, "eat in" or "take-away". Tele-menu also available. edit
- Stefanos, follow the road towards the west from the main square, offers Greek "suvlaki" änd "gyros" sandwiches (around 5euro per person for 2 sandwiches).
- Kalamia, towards the east of the main square next to a bank, offers "kebab" style grill, (around 5euro per person for 2 servings).
- Bugatsa Lefteris: Next to the taxi park between the central square and the park, offers greek "bugatsa" (cream filled pasty), around 1.5 euro per serving.
- Goody's: opposite the square on the right, greek hamburger franchise, around 5 euro for a meal.
Nisaki: Located between the agia varvara park and the kapnomagaza. Serves coocked food, grills and fish. Prices around 15euro per person
Lukulos: Located outside of the city, this is an extremely luxurious restaurant.
- Kafe Elefteria Probably one of the oldest coffehouses in the city, in the now renovated old building serves plenty of hot and cold drinks. Located north of the main square.
- Kafe Aigeo Serving a younger crowd this lively bar is located of the west of the agia varvara square. It gets very crowded on weekends and the music is loud.
- Emporiko, 2521027925.
- Marianna, 2521066100.
- Ksenia, 2521033195.
If you do not wish to stay in the centre there are numerous hotels in the villages around Drama, indicatevely: Katafygio Falakrou(the falakro ski-hut resort) 2522041822
- Hotel Villa Tasko, 1St July Street (aka Τέρμα 1ης Ιουλίου) ([email protected]), ☎ 2521024000, . edit
City hall: 2521025555 Hospital: 2521023351 Police: 2521022341
In a city that is unspoiled by tourism you should try to maintain a respectful communication towards others as extreme behaviour towards people might cause a scene. Also try to avoid getting involved with any local disputes. Crime in Drama is nearly non-existent.