Dover is a city in New Hampshire, United States. Settled in 1623, it pre-dates the founding of America and is the 7th oldest city in the country.
- Dover is located off of the Spaulding Turnpike (Route 16), and is about 10 minutes from I-95, which connects to Maine and Massachusetts.
- Dover's train station is located in the center of downtown, at the intersection of Third Street and Chestnut Street, next to St. Mary's church. Amtrak's Downeaster connects Dover to Boston's North Station and Portland, Maine, along with several towns in between. Of the five daily round trips, two continue to Freeport. During the summer, the Downeaster makes an additional stop at Old Orchard Beach. This comes in handy on summer weekends, when I-95 and US-1 are both bumper to bumper with vacation traffic.
- Wildcat Transit, operated by the University of New Hampshire, runs from many points in Dover to the campus in Durham.
- COAST bus is the regional bus company, with several routes through downtown Dover to Portsmouth (connecting service to Pease), Rochester, Somersworth, and Berwick
- C&J Trailways  operates hourly service (except a few hours at night) every day from Boston's South Station and Logan International Airport. All buses terminate at the Exit 9 Park-and-Ride on Indian Brook Drive near 6th Street, about 2 miles from downtown. Transit to and from downtown is available via COAST route 33. All C&J buses make an intermediate stops in Portsmouth (Pease International Tradeport) and Newburyport, MA.
- Woodman Institute Museum, 182 Central Av, Phone: 603-742-1038, [http://www.woodmaninstitutemuseum.org WED-SUN 12:30PM-4:30PM; closed Dec-Mar. Dover's only history, science and art museum offers interesting insect and geological specimens as well as local historic memorabilia. Three buildings open for tours including a 1675 colonial garrison house with artifacts. Reservations requested for groups.
- Childrens Museum of New Hampshire, 6 Washington Street, Dover NH 03820, ☎ (603) 742-2002, . The Children’s Museum operates exclusively for charitable purposes and serves as an educational resource for schools, families and communities. The museum strives to support the diverse population of the region, to provide learning opportunities for all children, and to enrich the services of regional schools. The Children's Museum of New Hampshire offers a variety of programs for children from preschool through middle school. From science classes to overnights, museum educators have designed engaging, high-quality programs that feature hands-on opportunities for learning while having fun. edit
Visit the William Damm Garrison house built in 1675, creak up the narrow ladder steps to the second floor loft and wonder how someone like you could have lived there and slept in those old rope beds. The Woodman is a true turn of the century natural history,local history and art museum established in 1916. See an entire floor dedicated to taxidermist stuffed animals. This includes an enormous 10 foot polar bear. Visit the Senator John P. Hale home and hear the story about his young daughter Lucy and an actor by the name of Booth. The Woodman is an experience you won't want to miss. Only a short distance from area beaches and lakes at 182 Central Ave in historic Dover. Call for special group tours 603-742-1038.
- Images of the Past Gallery, 35 Atkinson Street. Historic framed photographs of Dover and the seacoast areas reproduced from original glass plate negatives. By appointment 603-742-7783 or visit www.Imagesofthepastgallery.com
Dover divides its restaurant 'areas' mainly into two distinct locations. In north Dover, off Spaulding Tpke's exit 9, are a plethora of chain restaurants. Landing in this area you will find Chili's, Uno's, Applebee's, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, and Amato's (although the latter is technically Somersworth). A short drive south on Central Avenue will bring you to the old mill area of the City. This is an area of more the one-of-a-kind custom restaurants. Each has a unique style and atmosphere that covers a very wide variety and one of them is sure to please your taste for the evening. In this area the street addresses range from 286 Central Ave up into the 300's.
- Dos Amigos, 286 Central Ave., (603) 834-6494, . Low-cost, high-quality tacos, burritos and other Mexican fare. Their sweet potato tacos are especially worth trying.
- La Festa Brick and Brew, 300 Central Ave., (603) 743-4100, . Exceptional creative and traditional pizzas.
- Orchard Street Chop Shop, 1 Orchard St., (603) 749-0006, . Upscale steakhouse. Good food, elegant dining downstairs or casual dining, bar and cigar room upstairs. Great steaks, so-so pork chops (this would be improved if they brined their pork).
- Blue Latitudes, 431 Central Ave, Dover, NH, 03820, ☎ (603) 750-4222, . Fantastic dining in the heart of downtown Dover. Excellent menu, staff is polite & attentive. The bar is a prefect spot for couples on a night out or groups looking to get away from the usual spots..the lamb is succulent, the steak tips, always a treat.. (43°11'52.85 N,70°52'27.17 W) edit
- The Barley Pub, 328 Central Ave., (603) 742-4226,. The Pub is a cozy, local favorite with live music and the best selection of beer in the city. Bob Dylan is also rumored to have stopped by for a drink after a gig at UNH several years ago.
- The Barn Tavern, 17 Portland Avenue, 603-742-1231.
- Dover Comfort Inn and Suites, 10 Hotel Drive, ☎ 603-750-7507, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. In downtown, pet friendly. 115. edit
- Hampton Inn, 9 Hotel Drive, ☎ 603-516-5600, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 11:00AM. Free evening appetizers and drinks as well as hot breakfast daily. 115. edit
- Homewood Suites of Dover, 21 Members Way, ☎ 603-516-0929, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. New all-suite hotel. Rooms include kitchen with full-size refrigerator, microwave, two-burner stove and dishwasher. Free internet, voice mail, free hot breakfast daily. $125. edit
- The Silver Fountain Inn, 103 Silver St., (888) 548-6888, . An elegant bed & breakfast in a historic Victorian mansion. Many of the home's Victorian details have been preserved; the house is quite stunning.