This article is a travel topic
Guide dogs for the blind or deaf are allowed to travel free of charge in the cabin with their owner on local South African Airways flights, provided that they do not take up a seat and are harnessed.
Some of the larger car rental companies can supply vehicles with paraplegic hand controls
- Avis, ☎ +27 (0)11 923-3660 ([email protected]""), . From Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town and Pretoria. Booking must be made at least 72 hours in advance. No extra cost.
- Budget, ☎ +27 (0)11 398-0123 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 398-0124), . Requires prior arrangement via reservations. From Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town. No extra cost.
- Imperial, ☎ +27 (0)11 574-1000 ([email protected]), . R150 per day in addition to the car rental.
Both powered and non-powered wheelchairs can be rented
- MobilityOne, 279 Trichardt Street, Parkdene, Boksburg, ☎ +27 (0)11 892-0638 (, [email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 892-5702), .
- Mr Wheelchair, Marine Parade, Durban, ☎ +27 (0)31 368-7406 (, [email protected], fax: +27 (0)86 689-8973), .
Most shopping centres have wide marked disabled parking close to the entrances.
Money templates and coin selectors can be purchased from the South African National Council for the Blind .
South African banknotes are progressively larger in larger denominations.
New banknotes have raised diamond shapes in the middle of the bottom half of each note for tactile identification. A R10 note has one, a R20 note has two, a R50 rand note has three, a R100 note has four and a R200 note has 5.
They also have large geometric shapes on the front for easy identification by people with partial sight. The R10 note has a diamond, the R20 a square, the R50 a circle, the R100 a hexagon and the R200 a honeycomb hexagon.
Be aware that a lot of older notes without these features are still in circulation
Since many of South Africa's attractions are provided by nature, easy access can be a problem.
There are however a number of places that provide specifically for the disabled traveller:
- Table Mountain, Tafelberg Road, Cape Town, ☎ +27 (0)21 424-8181, . The lower station provides disabled parking close to the lifts and have toilets for wheelchair users. The cable car can be boarded easily by wheelchair and guide dogs are welcome aboard. On top of the mountain there is about 2km of walkways that can easily be explored in a wheelchair (ask for a wheelchair map when buying your cable car tickets) and all but two of the viewpoints are accessible. The restaurant is wheelchair friendly and wheelchair toilet facilities are provided. The weather at the top of the mountain can be dramatically different from that at the lower cable station, when it is 32C in Cape Town it may only be 16C on top of the mountain. Take a jacket and something to cover your legs if you are in a wheelchair.
These tour operators specialize in providing tours specifically designed for the disabled.
- Rolling SA, . Tours for wheelchair bound individuals.
- Endeavour Safaris, 23 Lark crescent, Tableview, Cape Town, ☎ +27 (0)21 556-6114 (, [email protected]), . Specializing in accessible travel for people with restricted mobility, visual and hearing impairments, oxygen-users and kidney dialysis dependent individuals.
- Epic Disabled, ☎ +27 (0)21 782-9575 ([email protected]), .
- Access Africa, 47 Kimbolton Close, London, UK, ☎ +27 (0)39 973-0533 (RSA) (, [email protected]), . Based in the United Kingdom and provided South African tours for wheelchair users.
- South African National Council for the Blind, 514 White Street, Bailey's Muckleneuk, Pretoria, ☎ +27 (0)12 452-3811 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)12 346-4699), .
- South African Guide Dogs Association, 126 Wroxham Road, Rietfontein, Sandton, ☎ +27 (0)11 705-3512 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 465-3858), .
- Deaf Federation of South Africa, 20 Napier Road, Richmond, ☎ +27 (0)11 482-1610 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 726-5873), .
- The National Counsel for People with Physical Disabilities in South Africa, 4 Lancaster Rd, Westdene, Johannesburg, ☎ +27 (0)11 726-8040 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 726-5705), .