Deux-Sèvres is a département in the Poitou-Charentes region of western France. A delightful and peaceful little department of France, Deux-Sevres has still has much to offer in the way of history, culture, culinary delights and pleasant pastoral surroundings.
The Deux Sevres comprises four varied natural terrains, La Bocage in the North West (fruit growing area with a dispersed habitation), Gatine in the centre (environment similar to La Bocage, cattle breeding), the Plains in the North West and South (flat terrain for cereal and vines), and the Marais Poitevin in the South West (land reclaimed from the sea by monks, and latterly Dutch engineers).
The Gatine is a small, "unique" area. It is an area where no vines are cultivated and where, two hundred years ago, it was nigh on impossible to grow proper wheat for bread. Bread was made from rye or buckwheat. The Gatine has abundant grass, hedgerows, woods, water souces, streams and lakes. It has a long established reputation for cattle and sheep rearing. It is also rich in fruit trees, vegetables...which meant that the people of the area were able to be far more self sufficient than those of the plains. This, plus the complete lack of passable roads in the area, contributed to its uniqueness and it's relative privacy.
The area encompassed by L'Absie, Secondigny, Fenioux and Scille is known locally as "la Petit Suisse" which gives you a good idea as to the nature of the countryside, no mountains but plenty of hills and valleys. Source - 
Argenton Chateau - in the new canton of Argenton Les Vallees is a pretty town perched on a rocky outcrop around which 2 rivers snake. The town centre has a small market every Thursday, and a ruined chateau and chapel. The views from the town square over the surrouding countryside are lovely on a clear day and the town retains a pleasant pace of life. There is an Art School run from a beautifully refurbished building in the town centre with courses offered throughout the year.
To Poitiers with RyanAir - best for those visiting the south of the region.
- Niort Market. Niort market is open every Thursday and Saturday. It is housed in a glorious covered hall designed by Gustaf Eifel of Eifel Tower fame. Great selection of Cheese, Meats, Fish and Seafood as well as plenty of fruit, veg and flowers. There are several cafes in the area where you can relax after your wander through the market. edit
- Holiday gites in the Deux-Sevres - 2 holiday homes available to rent with access to a heated outdoor pool, sleeping groups of 4 - 10. Both houses are adapted for wheelchair users and are also available for corporate bookings.
- Holiday Gite near Melles in Deux-Sevres - The gite at Logis de Canteau is situated a short distance from Melle in Deux-Sevres, (part of Poitou-Charentes), south east of Niort. Nearest airports are Poitiers and La Rochelle, with frequent flights by Ryanair to both. The gite can sleep 8 people as standard, but could easily accommodate 10 if required.
- Les Cygnes Vacation Rentals - 3 beautiful carbon neutral eco friendly self catering gites with pool in the peaceful Poitou-Charentes, France, countryside.
- Mon Petit Couer La Menantelierre 2 Bedroom Gite near L'Absie.Self contained 2 Bedroom Gite, split level accommodation ideal for those who dislike stairs. Large living room with kitchen and dining area. Deck area ideal for enjoying the spectacular views or dining al-fresco. Well equipped Art Studio in adjacent building where Art courses or personal tuition is available.