Dartmouth is a city in Nova Scotia. Located on the eastern shore of Halifax Harbour, Dartmouth has gained the nickname the "City of Lakes" due to the large number of lakes located in the city and still retains the nickname. City population is approximately 68,000.
Dartmouth was incorporated as a town in 1873. In 1955 the town was permanently linked to Halifax by the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge which led to rapid suburban growth. The Town of Dartmouth amalgamated with several neighbouring towns and became the City of Dartmouth in 1961. The A. Murray MacKay Bridge opened in 1970, which spurred growth, both residential and commercial.
From the north, take Nova Scotia Highway 102 to Nova Scotia Highway 118. Highway 118 will take you right in to downtown Dartmouth.
- Dartmouth Ferry From Halifax.
Commercially, Darmouth is serviced by the Halifax Airport. Dartmouth Shearwater Airport (YAW) at CFB Shearwater is in Dartmouth and services military light aircraft.
Dartmouth shares a transit system with the City of Halifax.
- The A. Murray MacKay Bridge, linking Halifax and Dartmouth
- George's Model Trains Garden railroad with 150 m (500 ft) of track, buildings and landscaping. 802 Main St (Rte 7) - (902) 434-0268.
- Somme Branch No. 31 Royal Canadian Legion Military Museum The museum exhibits authentic wartime costumes, with statistics of wartime activities both at home and abroad. Collection of shoulder and divisional flashes, battalion photographs. Special tours by request. (902) 463-1050.
- Shearwater Aviation Museum, Shearwater Airport, Dartmouth, NS.
- Natal Day, celebrated since August 1895. The celebration historcally celebrates the arrival of the railway, and has been sponsored by Alexander Keith's. Usually celebrated during the first week of August.
- Alderney Landing Performing arts centre with outdoor event plaza. Visual art gallery, weekend farmers' and craft market, tourist information, marina, and harbourside park [www.alderneylanding.com]. (902) 461-8401.
- Quaker House Restored house (c 1785) associated with the Nantucket Quaker whalers who were in Dartmouth from 1785 to 1792. Costumed tour guides; pioneer dress-up trunk for children. 57–59 Ochterloney St. (902) 464-2300.
- Ground Zero Climbing Gym Suitable for all age & fitness levels. Instruction and rentals available. 105 Akerley Blvd, Unit J. (902) 468-8788.
- Mic Mac Mall , Over 160 Shoppes and services. 21 MicMac Boulevard, Dartmouth. (902) 466-2056.
- Alexandra's Pizza - 127 1/2 Windmill Rd Dartmouth - (902) 466-2222
- Three Bears Smoke & Deli - 111 Ilsley Ave Dartmouth - (902) 468-7602
- Queen of Cups Teahouse Ltd. - This English-Style tea house serves a variety of traditional, contemporary and truly unique teas. Come in for an afternoon tea and enjoy cream tea and other delectable goodies. Reservations are required. Open year-round. 44 Ochterloney Street Dartmouth - (902) 463-1983.
- Smitty's Family Restaurants - Smitty's has served at this location for almost 30 years. Featuring breakfast, lunch and dinner all day as well as bottomless coffee and tea. - 800 Windmill Road, Suite 301 Dartmouth (902) 468-8817
- Brewdebaker's Tap & Grill - Offers casual family dining in the middle of a full-service brewery. Open seven days a week. 612 Windmill Road Dartmouth - (902) 468-1059
- La Perla - in downtown Dartmouth. Open seven day a week for dinner and lunch Monday through Friday. Terrific view overlooking the Halifax skyline. 73 Alderney Drive Dartmouth (902) 469-3241.
- Vines Pasta Grill - Open 11:30 am to 10 pm, Tuesday thru Sunday and Monday from 4 pm to 10 pm. Take out available. 4 Panavista Drive Dartmouth - (902) 434-4114.
- MacAskill's - MacAskill's has a variety of Nova Scotian cuisine, including steamed mussels, fried haddock, grilled salmon and fresh lobster. They also serve a variety of pastas, salads and more. 88 Alderney Drive Dartmouth (902) 466-3100
There are several Nova Scotian pubs and bars in Dartmouth, however your best bet is to cross the bridge to Halifax where there is much more nightlife to speak of.
- Our Friends Pub 2002 Ltd. - 19 Norm Newman Drive - (902) 462-7827
- Neighbourhood Pubs Ltd. - 50 Rodney Road - (902) 463-4504
- Monte's Bar & Grill - 245 Waverley Road - (902) 435-1770
- Ralph's Place - 132 Main Street - (902) 462-2253
- Sensations - 169 Wyse Road - (902) 404-6969
- Caroline's Bed & Breakfast - 134 Victoria Road, Dartmouth
- Burnside Hotel Dartmouth - The Burnside Hotel has both deluxe and economy rooms available. The property features a licensed restaurant, a cocktail lounge and a pool. - 739 Windmill Road Dartmouth - (902) 468-7117.
- Traveller's Motel & Cabins Bedford - 19 cabins and 25 motel units, each with air-conditioning and private baths. Motel units also have cable TV and phones. - 773 Bedford Highway Bedford - (902) 835-3394.
- Comfort Inn Dartmouth - 456 Windmill Rd. Dartmouth - (902) 463-9900.
- Howard Johnson Hotel & Suites Dartmouth - Restaurant on the premesis. 65 King Street Dartmouth - 1-866-875-7666.
- Park Place Ramada Plaza Hotel Dartmouth - Indoor heated pool with water slide, a hot tub, a sauna and a fitness center. Complimentary shuttle service to Halifax's Waterfront and Historic Properties is provided. 240 Brownlow Avenue Dartmouth - (902) 468-8888.