'''Dahlonega''' [http://www.cityofdahlonega.com/] is in [[Georgia (state)|Georgia]]'s [[Historic High Country]]. It was the site of a major gold rush,
which is an important part of Dahlonegan culture. |+|
'''Dahlonega''' [http://www.cityofdahlonega.com/] is in [[Georgia (state)|Georgia]]'s [[Historic High Country]]. It was the site of a major gold rush, an important part of .
|−|Highway GA -400/19 North from [[Atlanta]] will take you right into Dahlonega. |+|
GA 400/19 North from [[Atlanta]] Dahlonega .
| || |
Revision as of 03:43, 8 December 2009
Dahlonega  is in Georgia's Historic High Country. It was the site of a major gold rush, claimed the first in the US by local citizens. Gold mining continues to be an important part of cultural identity of Dahlonega and several mines remain open as tourists attractions. It is also home to North Georgia College and State University.
From Atlanta, GA
Approximately 1 1/2 hrs.
GA 400/US 19 North from Atlanta until end GA 400 ends. Left onto GA 60 after 5.5 miles GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
Having a car would be best because there are many sites that are spread out, but central Dahlonega, along the downtown square, is navigable by foot.
Lumpkin County Transit operates with just two buses and offers door-to-door transportation on a first-come, first-served basis by appointment. "Nominal fees" are based on mileage. It's operated by Lumpkin County’s Emergency Services Department. For details call 706-864-6900.
Consolidated Gold Mine  takes you on a tour of some of the mines beneath Dahlonega. Admission is $11/7 for adults/children. Under 3 get in free. Located at 185 Consolidated Gold Mine Rd. near Wal-Mart.
Grissoms Gold Mine - one of the only press mines remaining. Gold can be panned from here as well as Consolidated.
The Gold Museum is located in the very center of the public square.
North Georgia College and State University - Military College of Georgia and the site of the old National Mint
- Gold Rush Days, . festival is held the third weekend in October. Thousands of people fill the town to celebrate the discovery of gold in Dahlonega. Voted one of the Top 20 Events in the southeast by the Southeast Tourism Society. More info.
- Bear on the Square, . Bear on the Square is a country and folk music festival held each year in mid-April.
- Hemlock Festival, . is a music festival held each year in early November. The festival is held to raise awareness and funds for defending the Hemlock's from attack by the woolly adelgid. $5-$40.
The Smith House - a traditional shared table, with rich southern food. Excellent quality, and a unique experience.
Dahlonega has several wineries.
- Wolf Mountain Vineyards and Winery, (on the right of East Main Street just past the square), ☎ 706-867-9862, .
- Three Sisters Vineyards, 439 Vineyard Way, ☎ 706-865-9463, .
- Blackstock Vineyards, Town Creek Church Road, ☎ 706-219-2789, .
For coffee, head over to the The Crimson Moon cafe and coffee house. They also have a tasty menu.