Revision as of 03:31, 2 September 2010
Notes on geography
Locals tend to see this as a string of
separate towns, usually called by the name of the nearest S-train
station, but there would not be much point in listing each of these separately in a travel guide, as each on its own has little to offer. Visitors should be aware though, that the suburban nature of this district means that the attractions are far between, and it could take up to an hour in public transportation travelling between Albertslund and Solrød Strand for instance, the names of the "towns" are listed behind the addresses in the listings
Vestegnen is a suburban district west of inner Copenhagen, Denmark, mostly build up during the 1970-80'ties. There is little of general interest to travellers here, but some of Copenhagen's nicest hostels (albeit with a great deal of transportation to Copenhagen's main attractions) and a single top-notch art museum - oh, and 7 kilometres of white beach if you are fortunate enough to run into sunny days.
Two S-train directions run from the centre of Copenhagen through the district
- Lines B to Høje Taastrup runs west through Hvidovre, Rødovre, Brøndby, Glostrup, Albertslund and Taastrup every 20 minute from early morning till late night, and twice as often most of the day.
- Line A to Hundige runs southwest through Åmarken, Friheden, Avedøre, Brøndby Strand, Vallensbæk and Ishøj every 20 minute from early morning till late night. Line E to Køge stops at Vallensbæk, Ishøj, Hundige, Greve, Karlslunde and Solrød and also runs every 20 minute from early morning till late night
Approaching the district by train from west or south, you will get off at Høje Taastrup Station and continue by S-train
The easiest way to get around is by S-train. For destinations between S-train stations or away from the main traffic channels you can take one of the local buses, most of which do not run as frequent as in the central part of the city.
There are taxi stands almost all S-train stations, but it will quite often be that no taxis are available and you will have to call one. Vest-Taxa (+45 43 45 45 45) is usually the fastest in the western suburbs and Taxa Selandia (+45 70 10 66 66) in the far southwestern suburbs. Taxa 4x35 (+45 35 35 35 35) is a good option closest to the central part of the city, but further away some waiting time can be expected.
Arken, Museum of Modern art in Ishøj
Old artillery storage on Vestvolden
- Arken (Museum of modern art), Skovvej 100, Ishøj (Bus 128 from Ishøj Station to Arken stop), ☎ +45 43 54 02 22, . Tu-Su 10AM-5PM, except W 10AM-9PM. By far the districts greatest attraction, and because of its location, rather undiscovered, even though it is one of Copenhagen's top museums. The striking building, located in dunes right next to the sea, was erected by architect Søren Robert Lund in 1996, and resembles a beached ship, the building has actually been criticized for drawing attention away from the art is houses. The temporary exhibitions is actually often the main attraction here, but the permanent collection includes many important mainly Scandinavian modern works. Also has a concert hall, cinema, sculpture courtyard and a restaurant. 85 Kr. (55.606123,12.387581)
- Greve Museum, Bækgårdsvej 9, Greve (Bus 126 from Solrød Strand or Taastrup stations to Greve Museum stop), ☎ +45 43 40 40 36, . Tu-F 11AM-3PM,Su 11AM-5PM. Various exhibitions relating to rural history, and the history of the 200 years old farmhouse the museum in housed in. Also hosts various temporary exhibitions. There is a small café and a shop on the premises, and a lovely garden to enjoy a small picnic. Free. (55.590754,12.252005)
- Heerup Museum, Kirkesvinget 1, Rødovre (Bus 15 from Peter Bangs Vej Station to Rødovre Kirke stop), ☎ +45 36 37 87 00, . Tu-Su 11AM-4PM. Henry Heerup (1907-1993) was a popular Danish painter, with close ties to the avant garde movement, although his work is often described as timeless, colourful and Childish. He received recognition outside Denmark, and has work exhibited on e.g. MOMA in New York and the Carnegie Institute. The museums collection was large donated by his widow, after his death. 35 Kr. (55.682595,12.466812)
- Kroppedal, Kroppedals Allé 3, Taastrup (Bus 217 from Høje Taastrup station to Kroppedal stop), ☎ +45 43 30 30 00, . Tu-F 10AM-4PM,Sa-Su 2PM-5PM. A good museum, if a but out of the way, but in some beautiful surroundings by a small river valley. The museum has various stationary and changing exhibitions on astronomy, archaeology and modern history. Free. (55.684518,12.311351)
- Thorsbro Vandværk (Thorsbro waterworks), Allevej 29, Ishøj (Bus 126 from Solrød Strand or Taastrup stations to Allevej stop), ☎ +45 43 57 72 57, . M-F 10AM-2PM, Th also 4PM-6PM. Is an industrial museum, displaying the history of the beatiful classic building, and its machinery - both are from the turn of the 20th century. Free. (55.622036,12.271423)
Vestvolden  is a series of
fortification cutting a though the western suburbs for 14,5 kilometres
from the sea to the Utterlev mose area on
Nørrebro. At the time of construction in the
1890'ties it was one of the largest fortification works in the world,
and today it is one of the best preserved, protected through its entire
length. While parts have been restored to its former glory, the really
interesting parts is the untouched part, overgrown part, with old
barracks, ammunition depots etc. hidden away behind trees and
bushes. The most easiest entry point is taking an S-train to
Brøndbyøster station on the B line. Can easily be combined with a
visit to Filmbyen, since it is housed on a garrison which was part of the Vestvolden defences.
Filmbyen (The Movie city) , also known as Avedørelejren, is an old army garrison erected in 1913. When the army moved out of the area in the 1990'ties, it was taken over by the municipality, and the famous Zentropa studios (home of Lars von Trier and much of the Dogme movement) as well as several smaller studios and production companies moved into the historic buildings. Today, apart from being something of a creative powerhouse, the scenic area has been beefed up by some rather funky new architecture mixing in with history, and also houses some cultural attractions listed below. There is also a hostel Belægningen and a restaurant Messen on the premises, which are listed in the appropriate sections below. To get here catch bus 133 from Avedøre station on the S-tog A line, Bus 1A from down town also stops quite close by at the Avedøre skole stop.
- Cirkusmuseet (The Circus museum), Hovedporten 6, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 49 00 30, . Su-Th 11AM-3PM. Photographs, posters, costumes, diaries, artefacts and what not, relating to the history of circus, both national and international, from the last 150 years. The museum is largely made up of the private collections of two famous Danish performers. 25 Kr. (55.631884,12.449741)
- Historiens hus (House of local history), Alarmpladsen 3, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 49 00 30, . Tu-W 1PM-4PM. Is a combination of a local history archive and a temporary exhibition space, in historic surroundings in the old officers mass. Free. (55.63245,12.448935)
- Brøndby Stadium, Brøndby Stadion 8 (Bus 500 S from Glostrup station to Brøndbyhallen stop.), ☎ +45 43 75 54 79, . Home of top Danish football side Brøndby IF, the stadium is home to one of the most lively home crowds in the national league. If you are fortunate enough to run into a match against the local rivals of FC København (Copenhagen), these are some of the best matches in the league. Games are usually played on Sundays, with a single league match being played Saturday and Monday. from 200 Kr. (55.648962,12.418542)
- Damhus Tivoli, Roskildevej 244, Rødovre (Bus 6A from Downtown), ☎ +45 36 70 05 98, . Weekends noon-8PM most of the year, everyday during summer. Small amusement park in the district, mainly of interest only if you are in area and have small kids, or a real craving for mini golf. The bordering lake 'Damhussøen, is a lovely place to go for a walk too. No entrance fee, 20 Kr per ride.
- Friluftsbadet Badesøen (Outdoor pool), Skallerne 14, Albertslund (Bus 141 from Albertslund station to Egelundsskolen stop)), ☎ +45 43 64 17 61, . M-F 11AM-7PM, Sa-Su 8AM-6PM. Features Europe's largest heated outdoor pool, 60 meters in diameter, and two water slides, 45 and 60 meters respectively. There is also Mini golf, Bocce, basketball and beach-volleyball fields on the large grass area. 35 Kr. (55.676631,12.333580)
- Hedeland, Maglehøjgårdsvej 6A, Hedehusene (Bus 116 from Hedenhusende station to various stops (Reerslev skole direction)), ☎ +45 46 13 63 18, . Hedeland is a unique and large recreation area, created on the area of an old gravel excavation site. It features a Ski hill, Steam railway, miniature railway, amphitheatre with regular open air performances, a golf course, riding area and finally a go-kart track . (55.630084,12.177401)
- Ishøj Dyrepark, Brentevej 40, Ishøj (Bus 400S from Ishøj station to Industridalen), ☎ +45 43 53 72 79. While hardly worth travelling for, if you are staying in the area, and crave to escape some of the concrete, this green area with grazing deer, Scottish highland cattle, goats and sheep's makes for a good small excursion. (55.626151,12.333453)
- Middelalderlandsbyen (The medieval village), Nybovej 11, Brøndby (Bus 135 or 166 from Brøndby Strand station to Ulsøparken stop.), ☎ +45 40 17 87 07, . No set opening hours.. A living history museum opened in 1999. The village consists of seven reconstructed houses as they would have looked in the 13th century surrounding a small village pond. There are several workshops with many activities for the kids. Free. (55.63276,12.408789)
- Vikingelandsbyen (The Viking village), Ledøjevej 35, Albertslund (Bus 143 from Glostrup station to Risby stop.), ☎ +45 43 64 20 29, . A small volunteer community project to reconstruct a Viking village using original construction methods. It is just at the outskirts of a nice forest (Vestskoven) and it is free to peak in, and look around, though it is mainly meant as a living history museum for local school children. Free. (55.69004,12.322002)
There are serveral good beaches along the coast, such as Brøndby, Ishøj
& Vallensbæk strand. The whole area is dubbed Køge Bugt Strandpark
, and covers 7 kilometers of white
beaches, sand dunes, meadows and lakes. It is very popular on warm summer days, but there are usually plenty of space if you look around. Facilities include jettys, toilets and several Kiosks dishing out popular ice creams. During late June to early August there are lifeguards present. Access by any station along the A and E S-train lines between Brøndby-Strand and Greve stations.
Theaters and concert halls
Expect bands mainly to be Danish bands, and theatrical performances in the Danish language, since none of these venues are really geared for tourists.
- Forbrændingen, Vognporten 11, Albertslund (Next to Albertslund S-train Station), ☎ +45 4362 5043, . Concerts usually starts at 9PM. The main concert venue of this district. Almost 100 concerts each year but not much action during the summer. Stages upcoming Danish bands. Entrance 50 - 150 Kr.
- Portalen, Portalen 1, Greve (Right by Hundige station), ☎ +45 43 97 83 00, . A local cultural centre which hosts a concert venue, a gallery, theatre and a café. (55.597914,12.331887)
- Viften, Rødovre Parkvej 130 (Bus 6A to Tårnvej stop), ☎ +45 36 70 45 00, . M-F 4PM-9PM,Sa-Su 2PM-9PM. A community center in Rødovre, with Cinema, Theatre and a Café
When city planners turned this area of former villages and farmland into unending suburbia (a transformation they now much regret), they turned to their North American counterparts for inspiration, and erected some huge impersonal shopping centers, complete with the usual, characterless chain stores, which leaves the shopping in Vestegnen a bit to be desired. You can find these shopping centers opposite almost every S-train station in the district. The largest of these malls are the aptly named City2, a short walk away from Høje Taastrup station, with 110 stores and a large cinema complex over 100.000 m², and Rødovre Centrum a bit off the main public transport corridors, also with 110 stores.
- Cath & Co, Herstedøstergade 22, Albertslund, ☎ +45 22 45 58 85, . A small gallery selling paintings, sculpturing and textiles. (55.684202,12.371547)
Except for Arti'kok you can safely disregard these listings if you are not staying in the district, as there are much better restaurants nearer the city centre.
- Arti'kok, Hvidovrevej 92, Hvidovre, ☎ +41 36 75 07 41, . M-Th 5PM-11PM, Sa-Su 5PM-midnight. Gourmet Danish cuisine, and easily the best restaurant in the district. Main courses from 135 Kr, five course menu including wine 695 Kr.
- Café Jenners, Mosede Strandvej 25, Greve (1KM along the beach northeast from Karlslunde S-train Station, or take bus 121 from Hunding S-train Station to Bækmose Stop and walk 100m northeast), ☎ +45 4369 9339, . M-W noon-11PM, Th-F noon-midnight, Sa 11AM-midnight, Su 11AM-9PM. Café/restaurant close to the coast south of Copenhagen. Nice place for a drink or some café style food. The menu is not impressive and comprises mostly burgers and sandwiches, but everything is well made. Main courses around 100 Kr, beer from 45 Kr, coffee around 25 Kr.
- Espehus, Korsdalsvej 77, Rødovre (Bus 13 from Glostrup station to Espelunden stop), ☎ +45 36 41 07 58, . M-Th noon-4PM,F-Sa noon-22. Danish-French kitchen in unusually cosy surroundings for the district in a pretty white house with thatched roof A la carte from 225 Kr, Lunch from 69 Kr. (55.679790,12.437097)
- Fortet Café og Restaurant, Mosede Strandvej 91, Greve (200m from Karlsunde S-train Station towards the coast), ☎ +45 4390 3979, . M-Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Great location by the Mosede Fortress and not far away from Mosede Harbour and the beach. The food is average with a couple of generic options, so go for the fish which is usually good and fresh. A la carte from 148 Kr. (55.563745,12.273294)
- Hereford Steakhouse, Taastrup Hovedgade 106 (Walk 600 meters south from Taastrup station)), ☎ +45 43 52 00 39, . M-F 11:30-10PM, Sa-Su 5PM-10PM. Traditional Danish open sandwiches for lunch and steaks for dinner. Lunch courses from 60 Kr, main courses 170-235 Kr.
- Kabyssen, Søhesten 14, Ishøj (Walk 25 minutes (2,5 km) from Ishøj station), ☎ +45 43 73 79 71, . April-September noon-10PM, October-March Tu-Su noon-9PM. Simple place serving traditional Danish fare at low prices, the outdoor seating is really cosy on warm days, with good views over the nearby Marina. Cheap. (55.608453,12.387642)
- Messen, Alarmpladsen 2, Hvidovre (Part of Filmbyen), ☎ +45 70 25 15 22, . Daily 11.30AM-2PM & 5PM-10PM. This restaurant has its home in the mess hall of the stationed solders at the garrison, solid food on a seasonal menu, and stylish interiors. Mains from 99 Kr, Buffet from 265 Kr.
- Restaurant Krabben, Vallensbæk Havn, Vallensbæk, ☎ +45 43 54 05 45, . M-F 11:30AM-10PM, Sa-Su noon-10PM. Located directly next to the marina with a nice teracce. Danish cousine. Lunch courses from 59 Kr, main courses from 158 Kr.
Expect to drink with local alcoholics and kids who think Addidas trunk
pants are the coolest thing since flavoured Vodka, in other words, not
really worth it unless you can not be bothered to go all the way into the city centre.
- 1964, Brøndby Stadion 28D, Brøndby, ☎ +45 43 63 19 64, . M-F noon-10PM,Sa-Su 10AM-10PM. A sports pub located inside Brøndby stadium, where the name sake club established in 1964, plays. Shows many football and some NFL matches in flatscreen TV's. Free wireless internet. (55.648793,12.417409)
- Escape, Hovedvejen 118, Glostrup, ☎ +45 43 45 31 38, . F-Sa 11PM-5AM. While hardly exiting there is not many other clubs in the area, plays mainly 80'ties music and current mainstream hits. (55.66613,12.397324)
- Damhuskroen, Roskildevej 244, Rødovre, ☎ +45 36 70 40 36, . Th 11AM-midnight,F-Sa 11AM-5AM,Su 11AM-5PM. Unless you are looking to score a middle aged bird wearing too much mascara or a similarly aged guy in a jumpsuit, you might want to give this place a miss. Though some younger guests are there for the entertainment they provide, and just let loose. (55.672863,12.473854)
- Carls Old Inn, Rødovrevej 260, Rødovre, ☎ +45 36 72 62 60, . M-Th 11AM-midnight,F-Sa 11AM-2AM,Su 11AM-10PM. It i not saying much, but this is one of the better pubs in area. It is best before or after the local ice-hockey team plays their matches, as this is the usual hang-out for their fans. (55.691429,12.462904)
- Center Pub, Hvidovrevej 178, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 47 22 69, . Su-Th 9AM-midnight,F-Sa 9AM-2AM. Yet another local watering hole with football memorabilia on the walls, and relatively cheap beers (55.653284,12.474299)
- Hovsa Bodega, Seminarievej 1, Brøndby, ☎ +45 43 96 45 70. This place's main claim to fame is as the unofficial pre-game bar of the local team, Brøndby IF, There is a flatscreen television for watching football games and draft beers are available for quite cheap 28 Kr a glass.
- Under Uret, Greve Midt Bycenter 10K, Greve, ☎ +45 43 60 04 44, . M-W 10AM-10PM,Th 10AM-midnight,F-Sa 10AM-5PM,Su 11AM-8.30PM. A fairly nice place by suburban standards, it even has a selection with foreign beers and is popular with students from the local high school
Many hotels located here claims to be near the city centre, for the most part they are outright lying, and the only reason to sleep at these suburban hotels is if you have business or family relations in the area. One exception is the budget listings which are actually good options.
- Belægningen, Avedørelejren, Avedøre Tværvej 10, ☎ +45 36 77 90 84, . Definitively ranking among the best options in the district, this hostel is fitted into the old sleeping quarters of the soldiers stationed on the old fort the hostel is located in. Free internet terminals and cheap bike rentals. Dorm beds 110 Kr, Doubles 360 Kr. (55.632636,12.446763)
- Danhostel Ishøj Strand, Ishøj Strandvej 13, ☎ +45 43 53 50 15, . Right by the beach (Køge Bugt Strandpark, see above), this 5 star hostel is well equiped with good up to date facilities (for a hostel that is). Each room has room for 6 people and includes a private nook outside, with views over the green surroundings. There is a activity area shared with the nearby camping grounds with a bouncy castle, chess, table tennis, petanque etc. Dorm beds (summer only) 175 Kr, Doubles 495/595 Kr low/high season. (55.612761,12.37004)
- Ishøj Strand Camping, Ishøj Strandvej 13, ☎ +45 43 53 50 15, . Just next to the nearby hostel, both are jointly operated by the Danish hostelling organisation. Shared building with reception, kitchenette, bathrooms, and other sanitary facilities. Campfire, playground, football fields for the kids, and walking distance to the beach. Adults 65 Kr (One year Camping Pass is mandatory - 90 Kr). (55.610949,12.371719)
- Tangloppen Camping, Tangloppen 2, Ishøj, ☎ +45 43 54 07 67, . Located on a small islet, this camping ground is only 500 meters from the beach. Facilities include hot showers, laundry room and other sanitary facilites, a communal room with television sets and a small shop. There are also bungalows available to let, with room for 4-8 people, most of them with a nice view over the sea. Camping ground: Adults 112 Kr, additional persons 77 Kr p.p., Bungalows: 315-617 Kr. (55.606905,12.379414)
- Glostrup Park Hotel, Hovedvejen 41, Glostrup, ☎ +45 43 96 00 38, . Adequate business hotel near one of the main commercial and industrial districts west of Copenhagen. There is an old and a new wing, with the new wing offering substantially better rooms and facilities. Free internet, and breakfast buffet included. Singles 795 on weekends and 1395 during weekdays.. (55.666622,12.410085)
- Idrættens Hus Hotel, Brøndby Stadion 20, Brøndby, ☎ +45 43 26 26 26, . This hotel is run by, and located on, the premises of the Danish Athletic Association, right by Brøndby Stadium with access to a steambath, Gym and solarium. Singles 775 Kr. (55.647487,12.417227)
- Quality Hotel Høje Taastrup, Carl Gustavs Gade 1, Taastrup, ☎ +45 43 99 77 66, . Business hotel in the westernmost suburb of Copenhagen. Cleaning is sometimes lagging in the rooms but there is a Internet station in the lobby, a heated swimming pool and gym facilities. Standard twins goes for 645 Kr. (55.647065,12.272218)
- Scandic Glostrup, Roskildevej 550, Glostrup, ☎ +45 43 43 42 00, . Port of the omnipresent Scandinavian hotel chain, this place is probably best suited as a motel for a stop over, as it is located directly adjacent to the highway. Billiard room, restaurant and a children's playground. (55.668403,12.419263)
- Scandic Hvidovre, Kettevej 4, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 86 04 00, . Far away from public transportation and gets some criticism for its cleaning standards. On the upside if you manage to get a room in the upper floors of the back building, these seem to be of a better standard, and there are a indoor swimming pool, sauna and gym area as well as a decent restaurant on the premises. Rooms from 1260 Kr, discounts available.. (55.645692,12.459754)
- Taastrup Park Hotel, Brorsonsvej 3, Taastrup, ☎ +45 43 71 18 19, . A bit run down, but there is not a lot of other options nearby, on the upside the internet is fast, it is near the station, and it employs good staff. Singles from 1100 Kr on weekdays & 425 Kr on weekends. (55.653711,12.300771)
- Wittrup Motel, Roskildevej 251, Albertslund (near the O4 and 21 highways intersection), ☎ +45 43 64 95 51, . Probably as close to an American style motel as you are going to find in Copenhagen, 60 rooms with their own doors facing the parking lot.For a motel the restaurant is surprisingly good. From 530 Kr. (55.66002,12.329835)
- Zleep Hotel Ishøj, Ishøj Nørregade 1, Ishøj, ☎ +45 43 54 12 33, . Very compact rooms and few of them are a bit run down. Sometimes the reception is manned, but most of the day you check in through a computer located at the hotels entrance, which inside a shopping mall on the 6th floor - but it is hard to beat the price which has a free breakfast included. 699 Kr on the day, but 299 if booked 60 days in advance. (55.613983,12.355564)
The best options for internet access is the various public libraries in the area:
- Avedøre Bibliotek (Library), Hjulmagerporten 1, ☎ +45 36 34 36 00, . M-Th 10AM-6PM,F 10AM-5PM,Sa 10AM-2PM.
- Avedøre Posthus (Postoffice), Sadelmagerporten 2A, ☎ +45 70 20 70 30, . M-Tu,Th-F noon-5PM,W noon-6PM.
- Brøndby(vester) Bibliotek (Library), Glentemosen 13, ☎ +45 43 28 20 60, . M-W 1PM-5PM,Th 1PM-7PM,Sa 10AM-2PM.
- Brøndby Strand Posthus (Postoffice), Brøndby Strand Centrum 50, ☎ +45 70 20 70 30, . M-F 10AM-5PM,Sa 10AM-1PM.
- Glostrup (Library), http://www.glostrupbib.dk/, ☎ +45 43 23 68 20, . M-Th 10AM-7PM,F 10AM-5PM,Sa 10AM-2PM.
- Glostrup Posthus (Postoffice), Banegårdspladsen 9, ☎ +45 70 20 70 30, . M-F 10AM-6PM,Sa 10AM-1PM.
- Ishøj Bibliotek (Library), Ishøj Store Torv 1, ☎ +45 43 57 71 71, . M-Th 10AM-7PM,F 10AM-5PM,Sa 10AM-3PM.
- Ishøj Posthus (Postoffice), Ishøj Nørregade 16, ☎ +45 70 20 70 30, . M-F 10AM-5PM,Sa 10AM-1PM.
- Taastrup Bibliotek (Library), Selsmosevej 2, ☎ +45 43 35 20 00, . M-F 10AM-7PM,Sa 10AM-2PM.
- Taastrup Posthus (Postoffice), Taastrup Hovedgade 90, ☎ +45 70 20 70 30, . M-F 10AM-6PM,Sa 1AM-1.30PM.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!