Cloudcroft is a town in Southeast New Mexico, high in the Sacramento Mountains. The population is less than a thousand. The village was started as a mountain resort (a glorified camp site) at the beginning of the 20th century by Alamogordo businessmen. During the summer temperatures get as high as the 70s with lows in the 40s. During the winter the range is from the 40s to the teens.
Cloudcroft is located at the junction of Highways US 82 and NM 244. The nearest airport with commercial air service is in El Paso, Texas, about 96 miles away. Commute to Cloudcroft from nearby Alamogordo entails going through New Mexico's only Tunnel and driving through High Rolls/Mountain Park.
Cloudcroft has no public transportation, except horse and horse-drawn carriage rentals. The town itself is tiny and easy to navigate on foot. For outlying areas, plan to drive and know that 4-wheel drive is helpful in the winter.
The high altitude, low humidity and dark sky ordinance for the village, make Cloudcroft a popular site for day and night sky viewing. It is home to two observatories.
- Sunspot Solar Observatory and Apache Point Observatory - Sunspot has a visitor's center and offers guided and unguided tours during most of the day, Apache Point has grounds tours only during daylight hours. . Both observatories are located about 16 miles south of Cloudcroft on Highway 6563, the Sunspot Highway: this can be a challenging drive when snow is present.
Most of Cloudcroft is dedicated to forest and mountain activities, although it does have golf courses and resorts.
- The Lodge, +1 800 395-6343, . One of the highest altitude golf courses in the nation. 18-hole golf course.
- Ponderos Pines Golf Course, 878 Cox Canyon Highway, +1 575 682-2566. Nine-hole golf course.
- Zenith Park - The west end has ice skating (and rentals), during the winter.
Burro Avenue has several lovely shops featuring friendly service.
- Instant Karma, 302 Burro Ave, 575-682-2651. Wonderful yoga-studio and shopping experience for clothing, accessories and books.
- Rebecca's at The Lodge. One Corona Place, +1 866 595-6343. Exquisite dining featuring wonderful chefs, live pianists, old-fashion feel, beautiful views and, a rich and mysterious history.
- Big Daddy's Diner, 1750 James Canyon. A local favorite with a laid back atmosphere.
- Jamocha Bean Coffee House & Cafe', 505 Burro Ave. (south end of the Burro Street Exchange), ☎ 575-682-2332, . Fresh coffees, espressos, cappuccinos and smoothies. Very good sandwiches and desserts made on the premises. The grill closes at 3:00, earlier on Sunday, but coffees and desserts are available until closing. Comfortable environment and free wireless, but you'll have to ask for the key.
- The Western Bar and Restaurant, 300 Burro Ave., +1 575 682-2445. Friendly staff, friendly locals and the local watering hole.
There are a variety of places to sleep in Cloudcroft.
- Burro Street Boarding House, 608 Burro Avenue, +1 888 682-3601, . A log home overlooking Cloudcroft. Queen beds, private bathroom. $89 a night.
- The Crofting, 300 Swallow Place, +1 877 682-3604, . An old boarding house nestled into the forest. $89 - $129.
- Waterfall Lodge, 56 Lodge Spring Road, +1 575 682-5454, . Six miles outside of Cloudcroft in the forest. $127 - $1255 (whole lodge).
- Alpine Alcove, +1 575 647-9778, . Modified A-Frame cabin, sleeps 6. Two bedrooms, two baths, washer and dryer. $95 - $150.
- Bear County Cabins, 108 Curlew Place, +1 575 682-3298, . Duplex cabins, $95.
- Cabins at Cloudcroft, +1 800 248-7967, . Offers a variety of cabins ranging in capacity from 2 - 10. $125 - $315.
- Daisy's Lodge, 43 Silver Cloud Dr, +1 888 543-3600, . $145.
- High Rolls Hideaway - +1 575 682-2953, . Mountainside cottage, one bedroom, one bath, kitchen. Wifi available, comfortably sleeps 4. Open year round. $110 per night, 2 night minimum (3 on holidays).
- Quality Times Cabin LLC, +1 575 921-6878, . Mountain cabins. $95 - $150.
- Spruce Cabins, +1 877 682-2381, . Offers a variety of cabins, one of which is handicap accessible. $60 - $175.
Hotels & Motels
- Alta Vista Chalet Motel, 1605 Highway 82, +1 575 682-2221, . Offers six different rooms holding up to eight people each.
- Summit Inn, +1 877 682-2814, . One block away from downtown Cloudcroft. $49 - $97.
- The Lodge, One Corona Place, +1 800 395-6343, . $115 - $325.
- Lincoln National Forest, +1 575 434-7200, . It has hiking, camping galore, horse back riding, biking, four wheeling, hunting, cross country skiing, inner-tube rides, skating, and snow-mobiles!
Most of Cloudcroft is above 9000 ft and one of the most likely problems is Altitude sickness. One should also understand the risks of mountain forest were there are wild animals and potentiall harmful/poisonous plants. Emergency services use the standard 911 system.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!