Chuzenji (中禅寺) is a hot spring village perched by Lake Chuzenji (中禅寺湖 Chuzenji-ko) in Tochigi, Japan.
The area is the gateway to Inner Nikko (奥日光 Oku-Nikko). Buses from Tobu Nikko Station cost ¥1100. Buses from the shrine & temple area cost ¥950 (look for bus stop #9 on Hwy 120 just outside Nishi sando -- note that this bus stop system is separate from the bus line that circles the shrines and temples). The bus ride is about 30 minutes from Nikko -- get off at bus stop #24. Pasmo cards are accepted.
- Akechidaira Ropeway, on the way to Lake Chuzenji - this ends in an observatory on reaching top from where fabulous views of Lake Chuzenji, Kegon falls and Mount Nantai are visible
- Kegon Falls - one of the highest in Japan. Note that the elevator to the bottom of the falls may close at 5 PM even during the busy season of August.
- Ryuzu Falls
- Senjugahama Lake
entrance fee: 520 yen to the observatory
- Lake Chuzenji - has rowing and motor boat facilites in the warm season. A 5 minute walk from the Chuzenji bus stop. Winter and early spring are quieter months for this area, but very peaceful.
- Kegon Falls - a 5 minute walk from the Chuzenji bus stop (along the main road, in the opposite direction of Lake Chuzenji). Signage is very good. The waterfall is large in early spring, when the snow is melting.
- Yumoto - hot spring resort perched by another lake, 30 minutes deeper into the hills