This article is about places around the Chesapeake Bay and concentrates on places which can be reached by a short walk from the shores of the bay and its tributaries. It also includes some information on good places to stay "on" the bay (e.g., anchorages). It is probably most useful if your mode of transport is a boat, but many of the places discussed are also reachable by less convenient wheeled conveyances.
If travelling from far away, the best way to get in is probably BWI Airport. It is close to the major ports of Baltimore and Annapolis. BWI Airport is served by many major airlines and passenger rail service via Amtrak.
The best way to access the sights mentioned in this article is to use a boat. Getting access to a boat is sometimes a bit tricky, but here are some suggestions:
- Cruise ships offer Chesapeake Bay cruises from Baltimore. These week-long voyages visit many of the historic and charming ports on the Bay.
- Find a boat operator who will take you along. Many such operators exist in the major ports (Baltimore, Rock Hall, Annapolis, Crisfield, Norfolk) of the Chesapeake who will take you.
- Charter a boat. To do this, you need to prove to the owner of the boat that you are competent to operate it. Again, several charter providers exist in the major ports.
- Own a boat. If you own a boat, you are all set.
Some people prefer boats powered by the wind, others prefer those powered by motors.
If you are using the aforementioned wheeled conveyance to visit these sights, there are a fine collection of roads, but only three crossing points in the 120 mile length of the bay. This makes some itineraries inconvenient.
- Wye River
- LaTrapp Creek on the Choptank River
- Little Choptank River
- One week sail from Annapolis
- One week sail from Crisfield
- There are many small eateries on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. Many serve the signature dish: Maryland Blue Crabs. You should definitely try some of them.
- The cities listed above have many good choices listed.
- With proper permit and patience, you can catch your own dinner!