The KTX from [[Seoul]] takes just
37 minutes to zip to '''Cheonan-Asan Station ''' ( W11000), but you'll need to connect to the painfully slow bus #2 to get to central Cheonan (30 min, W950). Alternatively, you can walk about 200m to '''Asan ''' Station, where for W4700 you can get a 5 minute train ride into '''Cheonan Station ''' (where you can connect to the Seoul subway) |+|
The KTX from [[Seoul]] takes just minutes to zip to Cheonan-Asan Station (), but you'll need to connect to the painfully slow bus to get to central Cheonan. Alternatively, you can walk about 200m to Asan Station, where for you can get a 5 minute train ride into Cheonan Stationyou can connect to the
| || |
ordinary trains on the Gyeongbu line connect directly to '''Cheonan Station''' in about one hour , making them a faster option for getting to the center of town. There's even direct through service for Seoul subway line 1. |+|
Alternatively, directly to in about hour a tothe of for subway .
| || |
Revision as of 01:17, 23 February 2011
Courtyard of the Independence, with the Monument to the Nation in the back
Cheonan (천안, 天安)  is a city in South Chungcheong, South Korea.
The KTX from Seoul takes just 35-40 (depending on which train) minutes to zip to Cheonan-Asan Station (W12800), but you'll need to connect to the painfully slow #20 or #13 bus (W1200 without a card) to get to central the Shingsegae/Bus Terminal area of Cheonan. Alternatively, you can walk about 200m to Asan Station, where for W1000 you can get a 5 minute subway (not underground) train ride into Cheonan Station. From here you can connect to both north lines going towards Suwon/Seoul or to the south lines heading to either Busan or Gwangju/Mokpo.
Alternatively, you can take a 급행 (express) subway directly to Seoul or Yongsan stations in about an hour and a half. These trains run roughly once per hour. You can find the up-to-date timetables in the ticketing area of Cheonan station where you enter for the subway only lines.
The express and intercity bus terminals are located near each other in the northern part of town. Note that the intercity terminal is hidden in the basement of the Galleria shopping mall.
A complex and confusing system of buses covers the area, but there is no information whatsoever in English at the stops or in the buses themselves. However, nearly all services start from or terminate at the intercity bus terminal.
The subway line has been extended from Cheonan Station to KTX Cheonan-Asan station and continuing to Asan.
- Independence Hall of Korea 독립기념관, Jincheon (12 km east of Cheonan), . Tue-Sun 9 AM to 5 PM (last entry). The largest museum in Korea, sprawling over acres of land in the hills, with seven giant exhibition halls devoted to the country's struggle to throw off the Japanese yoke between 1870 and 1945. Note that this is a privately funded operation and thus even more slanted towards a nationalist version of history than usual. Most 3xx/4xx-series buses pass by, board them either at Cheonan stn or in front of the intercity bus terminal (W950, 25min). free admission.
Gagwonsa Buddhist temple at Taejosan (Mt. Taejo) 태조산 A nice place to go hiking. The Buddhist temple has one of the largest sitting Buddhas in Asia/Korea or something like that...
Upstairs from the bus station is a movie theater which plays korean and western films.
Mount Fishtail, Cheonan Station (천안 역) Probably the only South-Asian curry restaurant in Cheonan. Decently priced curries (to be Korea), around 8000-10000 won per dish. Owned by a lovely Nepalese couple.
It's right across the road from the taxi stands by the station, right hand side, second floor.
Banana Bar in Shinbudong, across the road from Ya Woo Ri shopping mall is a great place to meet people. Pool competitions; open mic night; quiz night; full stage for performers and bands. 010-3424-6309 Speak to Mr Oh, he's very friendly.
There are plenty of motels in the alleys across the street from the bus terminals and near the train station.
- Joatel 조아텔, Sinbu-dong 455-8 (cross street from bus terminal, straight one block, turn right), ☎ +82-41-622-7942, . Opened in 2004, this sparkling clean motel has spacious, well-equipped rooms, including PCs, fancy showers and big round bathtubs. No room keys, but the staff will let you in and out on request. Some English spoken. W40000-60000, plus W10000 on weekends.
- Metro, 57-9, Daeheung-dong, Cheonan-si, Chungcheongnam-do, Korea, ☎ +82-41-622-8211~4, .
- Asan - Hot-spring resort with which Cheonan shares its KTX station.
- Cheongju - Provincal capital of North Chungcheong, and historic town in its own right. Birthplace of jikji, the world's oldest moving metal type print book.
- Chungju - Gateway to Danyang and Suanbo, two hours by direct bus from the intercity terminal
- Gongju - City to the south, and former capital of Baekje, known for its Beakje tombs. Also the gateway to hiking a nearby national park.
- Suwon - Satellite city of Seoul, and sporting a World Heritage fortress.