Chathannoor is a city in Southern Travancore in India.
Chathannoor is in the extreme east part of Kollam District of Kerala, around 55 km north of the state capital Thiruvananthapuram and 15 km towards south from Kollam Town on the National Highway (NH 47).
This town is one of the fastest developing towns in Kerala. It is a Special Grade Panchayath in Kollam District and can reach this town by Bus and Train.
Chathannoor is well connected to other parts of Kerala by road. National Highway (NH47), which is coming from Salem, is going via Chathannoor to Kanyakumari. NH 47 is passing through the center of the town. Kollam Railway Station is only 18 km from the town and is well connected by buses. Nearest Airport is Thiruvanathapuram International Airport.
There major transport hubs are:
- Chathannoor Junction. This is the central part of town. All the shopping centres and Market are located here. Buses to all major cities of Kerala stops here. This junction is be busy with traffic and pedestrians all the time. The Panchayath office, and more than a dozen of Government offices, police station, Government higher Secondary school, NSS Higher Secondary School and the public library are in the town center.
- KSRTC Junction. KSRTC Bus Station and Mini Civil Station (under construction) are here. Many other state and central offices here makes this junction always busy.
- Thirumukku. This is another busy junction in the town. Paravur and Varkala roads are deviated from here.
- '''Vilappuram''', (3 km south). A small place, home of the famous Vilappuram Devi Temple (Anandavilasam Bhagavathi Temple). In the same compound there is the famous Anandavilasam library, affiliated to Kerala State Library Council having more than 1200 members and around 13000 books. In the library there is the facilities of computer, internet, telephone etc. Children's Wing, Ladies Wing, Women's Home Library Scheme, Continuing Education Centre etc are available here. edit
- '''Polachira''', (4 km south). A favourite haunt of migratory birds. Now it is a developing zone in tourist concept. Now there is a bridge over polachira which connects road named Polachira Bund Across Road. It is the shortest route from Chathannoor to Varkala. You can go to see elephants in Anathavalam at Chirakkarathazham from here and it is only one km from Polachira. edit
- '''Temples'''. If you interested you can visit the famouse temples of Chathannoor, Bhoothanatha Kshethram,Kanjiram vila bhgavathi kshethram, Chennamath Kshethram, Vilappuram bhagavathy kshethram,paniyil thekkevila bhagavathi temple, paniyil guru mandiram. etc. Do not forget to visit Valiya Pally (St George Orthodox Church)-the ancient and parent church of all the Christian churches in and around Chathannoor. edit
- '''Thirumukku Mosque'''. The Mosque is an important place to visit. Hundreds of people will be coming here for the Friday Juma. edit
- paniyil. edit
- Polachira. Go to and see the beautiful views of the nature then you can go to Anathavalam to see elephants. Do not forget to stay some time at Mannathipara here to have a better look of Polachira. edit
- Kotherimukku, Sree Dharmasasta Temple, Uliyanadu School Rd, Kotheri (Chathannur to Uliyanadu). This is lord Ayyappa Temple. edit
- Sree Dharma Sasta Temple, (Chathannur-Chirakkara Janatha Road). This is temple of lord Ayyappa.Hundreds of people cominf every saturdy for sani pooja. edit
- Thekkevila bhagavathi temple. edit
Places of worship
Almost all Christian denominations have churches in this town. Baptist Bible College (Seminary) is located in this town.
- Temple festivals. Sree Bhoothanatha Temple, Kanjiramvila Bhagavathi Temple, Chennamath Shiva Temple, Vilappuram Bhagavathy Temple, Vayalunada Bhagavathi Temple etc are famous temples in this town. Festivals in these temples attracts peoples from other places also. "The Nedum Kuthira" of Sree Bhoothanatha Temple on the festival is the biggest of its kind in South Kerala. second largest festival in chennamath shiva temple.in this temple other places come in this festival edit
- St George Orthodox Church, Valiya Palli, . Christhos Marthoma Church ,Malankara Catholic Church etc are famous churches in this town. St George Feast (Perunnal) of Valiya Palli falls on the first week of May every year and thousands of devotees throng to the church to celebrate the feast and in the colourful procession. edit